Please Contact Your Local Media/DOT/Police About FedEx 'Safety"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have not had a great deal of success, but maybe one of you will, or you have a media contact willing to get our story out there. Sooner or later it will be revealed just how hard we're being pushed and how badly on-road safety is being compromised. I've seen some of the bad accidents where couriers were killed or severely injured, and I'm also aware of numerous cases where FedEx vehicles killed and/or injured innocent motorists or pedestrians.

IMO, the national media won't be that interested because FedEx is a major advertiser. Simply put, they don't want to piss-off a potential revenue source, regardless of journalistic ethics. If one of the big networks ran a story "outing" FedEx, you can bet they'd yank every ad.

Your state's DOT, Highway Patrol or equivalent, or even local police could be good alternatives. FedEx Ground is already on the national FMCSA radar, and it's highly likely that most states are watching Ground more closely these days. The same needs to happen with Express, so I encourage anyone and everyone to call, email, or write your local applicable agency and fill them in on what exactly FedEx is doing. I would definitely mention working through breaks, excessive workloads that encourage speeding and reckless driving, and management threats. Nobody should be forced to be unsafe by a company motivated by only one thing...increased profits.

Unfortunately, I still think it's going to take a monumental disaster to get the proper degree of attention focused on the antics at FedEx. I'd really like to head that off at the pass by being proactive and getting the word out to authorities about the lack of a safety culture at Express. All of the empty BS about safety means nothing if you get hurt or killed, nor does it mean anything when you're sitting there looking at the blanket-covered body of a dead pedestrian or innocent driver. Please do not get pushed into being unsafe just so Fred can make even more money. And guess what? If you DO get into an accident, how do you think FedEx will react? You'll be under the bus so fast that you won't know what hit you.

The truth needs to be revealed.

I totally agree. They can never give me a raise, increase my premiums, but when it comes to making my workday terribly unsafe thats where i draw the line. The pressure and manipulation needs to be exposed. The demolition derby needs to end.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I have not had a great deal of success, but maybe one of you will, or you have a media contact willing to get our story out there. Sooner or later it will be revealed just how hard we're being pushed and how badly on-road safety is being compromised. I've seen some of the bad accidents where couriers were killed or severely injured, and I'm also aware of numerous cases where FedEx vehicles killed and/or injured innocent motorists or pedestrians.

IMO, the national media won't be that interested because FedEx is a major advertiser. Simply put, they don't want to piss-off a potential revenue source, regardless of journalistic ethics. If one of the big networks ran a story "outing" FedEx, you can bet they'd yank every ad.

Your state's DOT, Highway Patrol or equivalent, or even local police could be good alternatives. FedEx Ground is already on the national FMCSA radar, and it's highly likely that most states are watching Ground more closely these days. The same needs to happen with Express, so I encourage anyone and everyone to call, email, or write your local applicable agency and fill them in on what exactly FedEx is doing. I would definitely mention working through breaks, excessive workloads that encourage speeding and reckless driving, and management threats. Nobody should be forced to be unsafe by a company motivated by only one thing...increased profits.

Unfortunately, I still think it's going to take a monumental disaster to get the proper degree of attention focused on the antics at FedEx. I'd really like to head that off at the pass by being proactive and getting the word out to authorities about the lack of a safety culture at Express. All of the empty BS about safety means nothing if you get hurt or killed, nor does it mean anything when you're sitting there looking at the blanket-covered body of a dead pedestrian or innocent driver. Please do not get pushed into being unsafe just so Fred can make even more money. And guess what? If you DO get into an accident, how do you think FedEx will react? You'll be under the bus so fast that you won't know what hit you.

The truth needs to be revealed.

Also resign from your station safety commitee if you are on it, say you cannot in good conscience serve any longer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you report tax fraud to the county sheriff, what happens?

Nothing, because it falls under the venue of the IRS or local tax authority. But your analogy is bad, and I know where you're going. The local sheriff, police department, State DOT or whomever else has a stake in vehicle safety should be interested in what FedEx is doing. I guess dead people are OK, as long as it's good for the bottom line?

bbsam

Staff member
Nothing, because it falls under the venue of the IRS or local tax authority. But your analogy is bad, and I know where you're going. The local sheriff, police department, State DOT or whomever else has a stake in vehicle safety should be interested in what FedEx is doing. I guess dead people are OK, as long as it's good for the bottom line?

Hard to say. In most of Grounds negative FMSCA scores, there has been a triggering event such as speeding, accident, etc. I am not sure the authorities are in the business of "targetin" certain companies outside the triggering events.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hard to say. In most of Grounds negative FMSCA scores, there has been a triggering event such as speeding, accident, etc. I am not sure the authorities are in the business of "targetin" certain companies outside the triggering events.

There have been quite a few smaller trucking companies put out of business by FMCSA. Most have been bought-out by larger firms. I think a bad reputation will get a company "profiled" out on the road more often than you think. When I used to be an RTD, there were several trucking companies that were frequently singled-out based on reputation alone. Swift and JB Hunt used to get pulled-over all the time at the scales. Ground is probably in the crosshairs too.

bbsam

Staff member
Tougher scrutiny, absolutely. And well deserved. But I doubt they will be pulling over FDX trucks based on the reports of company malfeasance by a handful of disgruntled couriers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Tougher scrutiny, absolutely. And well deserved. But I doubt they will be pulling over FDX.trucks based on the reports.of company malfeasance by a handful of disgruntled couriers.

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes all it takes is for the executive cockroaches to get exposed to a bit of sunlight before they scurry back into their Memphis cubicles. The couriers get killed...not them.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Tougher scrutiny, absolutely. And well deserved. But I doubt they will be pulling over FDX trucks based on the reports of company malfeasance by a handful of disgruntled couriers.

It's hardly a handful.

When was the last time you saw an express courier say anything positive on here?

You don't see this level of disgruntled employees posting on the UPS side, its more of a mix.
Here it is 100 percent negative anymore.

Epoisode7

I know when I was driving, I would not have passed a thorough DOT inspection by the highway patrol on a few occasions. Mostly things like cracked windshields and taillights not working. The terminal manager often stepped on us to kiss ass with whoever his bosses were, but he was forced to look the other way sometimes, which helped us. He'd "pass over" things during quarterly inspections, such as horns not working, tail lights burnt out, and tread that I'd hesitate to tall 2/32". We ran with the bare minimum of drivers and I worked before the shops opened, and got off well after they closed. If a van went down and there was no rentals available, we had to ride together and do 2 routes/1 vehicle.. which was a 17 hour day. I've seen drivers carry hazmat packages without removing the label and putting it in the envelope, not having the orange book or triangles, having 1/32 tread, and one driver who once ran out of room in his van and got a small bulk shipment of all hazmat packages and the end of the sort. They all went into his cab. He even put the seat belt on them to hold them in place. I could go on and on. When I quit I emailed as many different state and federal contacts as I could find.

bbsam

Staff member
It's hardly a handful.

When was the last time you saw an express courier say anything positive on here?

You don't see this level of disgruntled employees posting on the UPS side, its more of a mix.
Here it is 100 percent negative anymore.
So unnamed multitudes of couriers who won't sign cards are now supposed to be motivated to contact law enforcement and file reports?