please explain this to me UPS ers

Another thing, if every union member did their jobs to the BEST of their ability, guys like me wouldn't exist. Bad workers keep me employed. You want to get rid of your pric supervisors, do the right things. If this were a perfect world mid/lower management wouldn't exist.

what i think is happening at my terminal is guys are actually doing everything right now, and management needs some job security and make it look like there still needed so they write us up for everything

P

pickup

Also you are wrong, if you are doing your job to the best of your ability and working safe, you have nothing to worry about.

please note in upssock's world, that conditional statement above will never be met. If you fail to meet the numbers, you are clearly not doing your job to the best of your ability.

mva1985

Another thing, if every union member did their jobs to the BEST of their ability, guys like me wouldn't exist. Bad workers keep me employed. You want to get rid of your pric supervisors, do the right things. If this were a perfect world mid/lower management wouldn't exist.

I've realized over the years (24) that if I busted my hump every single day that at the end of my career I would not have a body left in decent shape for me to use and enjoy my retirement. I already have a bad knee due to preloading for 14 years and it wasn't because I wasn't using the methods.

My first priority is to do the best for my internal customers - the preloaders.

My observation is that supervisors come and go... and when they go it's usually because they did something stupid.

UPSSOCKS

I've realized over the years (24) that if I busted my hump every single day that at the end of my career I would not have a body left in decent shape for me to use and enjoy my retirement. I already have a bad knee due to preloading for 14 years and it wasn't because I wasn't using the methods.

My first priority is to do the best for my internal customers - the preloaders.

My observation is that supervisors come and go... and when they go it's usually because they did something stupid.

Well the part time supervisor position is supposed to be a five year deal. After five years you either get promoted or you don't. If you don't, I suggest you move on. Just like hourly, we like when supervisors quit as well. It's nice to have a supervisor that makes 24k a year quit and give us an opportunity to promte a younger cheaper management person.

UPSGUY72

what i think is happening at my terminal is guys are actually doing everything right now, and management needs some job security and make it look like there still needed so they write us up for everything

everyone isn't doing everything right. The problem is that everything thinks they are doing everything right.

upsgrunt

Well the part time supervisor position is supposed to be a five year deal. After five years you either get promoted or you don't. If you don't, I suggest you move on. Just like hourly, we like when supervisors quit as well. It's nice to have a supervisor that makes 24k a year quit and give us an opportunity to promte a younger cheaper management person.

Sounds like you found yourself again. Same cold hearted comments as before. We should have known it wouldn't last.

UPSGUY72

i have never before worked for a company who prided itself in how many people they can write up in one day and how many succesful terminations they have per month

can somebody please explain why this is a good thing for the company? most people end up getting there jobs back, with back pay, what is the point?

i know sometimes they want to fire people at top pay so they can bring new people in at the newbie pay scale but it still costs alot of money to hire people

what is the point?

i dont think i will retire frm this company as i originally planned

lookin into goin over to ABF

and lol @ whoever says "if you are doing your job you have nothing to worry about" you couldnt be more wrong

Why don't you go over to ABF. If you spent more time doing your job and less worrying about what everyone else is doing or not doing you wouldn't have to worry about getting written up or fired.

People get written up for a reaason some people get written up more becasue they constantly can't follow rules and management zero's in on these people. These are the people that show up late to work, call in all the time, missload packages all the time, and think that they can't be replaced so they are going to work at there own pace and do what they want.

delivery_boy

you get what you pay for and so do we...:knockedout:

overallowed

Just smile and say I am doing my best. Sooner if not later they (the sup) will be replaced and you will still be there.The UPS way.
This was pointed out to me by my center manager one day, when we were having a spirited discussion. He asked me how many driver sups I have had during my 2+decades at this job. I thought nad decided I couldn't name half of them. Most had been fired for some level of dishonesty, either padded expense reports or "dirty" reports of some other kind. A few were dead.
They eventually turn on each other.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Some guys attempt a "power struggle" with their supervisor's and the manager's expectation is that the sup. handles it as severely as possible to make a point.
Others in management just can't handle the stress of "performance" and this is a way to "get back" at the workers for making him/her look bad or not in control.
I worked at a couple of airlines before UPS and never saw anyone written up or terminated for anything except theft or being drunk. But then those companies were losing millions per day and there was no concept of "efficiency".
I've terminated, suspended and given out loads of warning letters and in every single case it was someone thinking they were smarter than me or their sup. and had it coming. Believe me, I prefer a day when everything goes well and everyone is smiling versus one where I gave some discipline out and the whole work group got into the "Sea Lawyer" mode attempting to find a way to get back at ME! No one likes conflict (except maybe one guy on this thread)

Dustyroads

"every single case it was someone thinking they were smarter than me"....Disorganized

It sure sounds to me as if you are sure that you are smarter than everyone you work with. I've known a couple guys like that in my career, however, as overallowed pointed out, all of those really smart guys are gone, and I'm still here.

D

Dis-organized Labor

"every single case it was someone thinking they were smarter than me"....Disorganized

It sure sounds to me as if you are sure that you are smarter than everyone you work with. I've known a couple guys like that in my career, however, as overallowed pointed out, all of those really smart guys are gone, and I'm still here.

Please read the rest of the post. The point was simply, just do your job and I'll do mine and we'll go home at the end of the day. It sure sounds like that is simple enough.
Playing games is my way of saying "they think they're smarter than me".
Nothing more.

Dustyroads

I guess it's just how you phrased it. When you say, "in every single case it was someone thinking they were smarter than me or their sup. and had it coming", you come off like a jerk supervisor who has an inferiority complex, and that anyone that you perceive to think that they are smarter than you, "has it coming". That's a really poor management philosophy, if that is how you really feel and operate. Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words. I would hope so.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I guess it's just how you phrased it. When you say, "in every single case it was someone thinking they were smarter than me or their sup. and had it coming", you come off like a jerk supervisor who has an inferiority complex, and that anyone that you perceive to think that they are smarter than you, "has it coming". That's a really poor management philosophy, if that is how you really feel and operate. Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words. I would hope so.

Well, sorry if it came across that way, but that's not what I meant.
I believe in being fair and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.
I'm talking about guys that habitually go against the grain and basically, disrupt everyone and cause trouble. That's the "had it coming" part.
As I said earlier, let's just all do our jobs and go home. That's all!

Dustyroads

Misunderstandings of intent are often the source of friction between management and labor. One needs to choose one's words carefully. I happen to work for the best management team that we've had in our building for three decades. But, I think it's because they treat drivers and other workers with respect and acknowledge that, in fact, their employees may be very bright and have some good ideas as to how the operation can work more effectively.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Misunderstandings of intent are often the source of friction between management and labor. One needs to choose one's words carefully. I happen to work for the best management team that we've had in our building for three decades. But, I think it's because they treat drivers and other workers with respect and acknowledge that, in fact, their employees may be very bright and have some good ideas as to how the operation can work more effectively.

No doubt.

UPSSOCKS

Sounds like you found yourself again. Same cold hearted comments as before. We should have known it wouldn't last.

Not cold hearted at all. I am reaching out to part time management. If you don't get promoted in five years, odds are you might have to wait 15 more. I think it is cruel how they wiggle the full time bait in front of them.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Not cold hearted at all. I am reaching out to part time management. If you don't get promoted in five years, odds are you might have to wait 15 more. I think it is cruel how they wiggle the full time bait in front of them.

Who exactly are "They"?