Please help..... drivers

Ahmed

Hi i have been working in ups as PT package handler for 3 month .. i asked my supervisor .. for advice after they offer me a PT supervisor and i said i would like to be a driver .. they offer me a cover driver position ... i have a problem is i have a full time job i come back home every week with 825 $ plus my PT at ups .. if i accept to work like cover driver i know my paycheck will go down ... how long it takes from cover driver to be a full time ? please help me with advice thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What are the prospects of advancement at your FT job? Is it a job that you enjoy doing and one that you can see yourself doing for the next 30-40 years?

If you accept the cover driver position you will see a dramatic reduction in your income for the first few years.

Future

Victory Ride
I wouldn't do it.....it's a roll of the dice being a cover driver on what kind of money you will bring home....you don't want to lose your full time job on a gamble....wait till it's your turn to become full time at ups

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Depends on your location. In the West, a utility driver makes $24 an hour pt, and carries that wage through all 4 years of driver progression until hitting top rate. A newbie coming in from say, pt package handler starts at $16 doing the same amount of work. In that scenario, the utility work could pay off big time, especially if there are lots of older drivers heading for retirement in the near future.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Cover driving doesn't turn into a FT job usually. Don't give up your day job because the temporary cover driving job is just that...temporary. Put in your time and come January put your name on the list of people who want to go driving full time. Don't give up your day job until you get the option to be a permanent full time driver. Feel free to let HR know that you're interested in a shot at FT driving should they exhaust the list this year.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Open(available to drive that day) cover drivers here are like angels floating in from the parking lot. Go homers flock at their presence and perform offerings of fobs to them. One lucky guy will be chosen, to be sent home without pay as they allow the cover driver to work in his stead. Cover drivers here are revered as demigods, with the power to set you free (for the day).

Ahmed

yes .. i am so confuse and so tired off thinking , i cant let my full time job go i have 2 families to help ,, i will say to the HR i cant go for part time driver i love to work for ups as a full time i cant Gamble my help to my mom and my sick sister for luck .. thanks guys god bless all of you guys

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
yes .. i am so confuse and so tired off thinking , i cant let my full time job go i have 2 families to help ,, i will say to the HR i cant go for part time driver i love to work for ups as a full time i cant Gamble my help to my mom and my sick sister for luck .. thanks guys god bless all of you guys
I hope everything goes well for you and your family. Just remember that cover drivers (not swing drivers, which are FT here) are also PT. When a FT spot opens you'll compete against those guys for that spot based on your pt seniority. FT swing drivers ( covers vacation/days off/go homers) are guaranteed 8hrs a day/5 days a week, that the job you want if you're looking for stability for you and your family. Once again, good luck to you and family.

Ahmed

I hope everything goes well for you and your family. Just remember that cover drivers (not swing drivers, which are FT here) are also PT. When a FT spot opens you'll compete against those guys for that spot based on your pt seniority. FT swing drivers ( covers vacation/days off/go homers) are guaranteed 8hrs a day/5 days a week, that the job you want if you're looking for stability for you and your family. Once again, good luck to you and family.
thank you jack i will talk to the HR and see will he going to say and i will let you guys know ..

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Hi i have been working in ups as PT package handler for 3 month .. i asked my supervisor .. for advice after they offer me a PT supervisor and i said i would like to be a driver .. they offer me a cover driver position ... i have a problem is i have a full time job i come back home every week with 825 $ plus my PT at ups .. if i accept to work like cover driver i know my paycheck will go down ... how long it takes from cover driver to be a full time ? please help me with advice thanks
Just wait and be patient

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Great advice by future. Theres your answer right there, couldn't have said it any better, he hit the nail right on the head. :winnersmiley: