PM dispatch

BrownArmy

The drivers I dislike helping are the ones I meet at 18:00, and their truck is a mess.

Totally unorganized, they can't find the work I'm taking, they're finding mis-loads, etc.

They don't need help because they're slammed, they need help because they're unorganized.

And they want to chat.

LOL.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No the only way to be sure that your not getting sent back out to help is slow down and not finish early otherwise you run that chance
I was over paid . 01 hours the other day on a 10 plus hr planned day I timed it pretty dam good. I didn't bust my ass and I didn't drag my feet. I knew when I left the building what pace I needed to work at to make the ORION numbers and I executed my plan almost perfectly.
I salute your abilities and your execution but that does not mean you tell someone to slow down.
You don't tell your kids to make all C's or worse do you?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Ok, so question. I'm a FT swing driver covering one of the heaviest routes in the building this week. I touched 1000 pieces on Monday with the rollover from the holiday weekend. Today was a more normal day, I touched 700.

Anyway, at 530, after I finished the route, I was told to pick up another DIAD and drive out with an empty to take some stops off another driver. All due respect to the more senior drivers, but after 700 pieces, I feel like I've done enough for one day. Not really interested in going out to do more work. Do I have any way of turning the PM dispatch down? Or am I screwed with my low senority? Thanks in advance for your constructive replies.
If you're finished at 5:30, presumably under 8 hours and you are a junior guy, why are you complaining about helping your brothers who need help?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I salute your abilities and your execution but that does not mean you tell someone to slow down.
There is a difference.

I don't tell people to slow down because I want them worse than their best. I do it because long term it's in their best intrest. Wear and tear is not something to take lightly and ups will take every ounce of what you have and ask you to still give more.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You are a good person. Unfortunately some guys look at it as those guys still out there working have been dragging their tails all day and now I have to bail them out.
When I was a new driver just after making seniority I had somewhere I had to be fairly early one day and was given a split route, all residential, spread out everywhere and it was heavy. I asked my on-car if I burned it up if I could get out early and he agreed.

I busted my butt all day and like the good new 30 day runner gunner I was and worked through my lunch. I got the 165ish stops off (semi-rural areas on 8 different bid drivers' areas in 4 different towns) and finished at 5:45pm. Just before scanning my last package before starting the half hour drive back to the center the light on my diad came on telling me to go pick up someone's pickup pieces in another town.

I texted my on-car and was like wtf? He wrote back with a :censored2:ish tone telling me to just do it and that I was only grabbing pickup pieces. I was livid. When I got to the driver (a cover driver with about 3 years in at that point and a real jackazz) he told me that I was taking 20 stops. I lost my :censored2:. I called the on-car and was like wtf?? You lied. He told me he was instructing me to do it and hung up. The driver who I was meeting (now after 6pm) gave me the 20 stops (leaving him with 10 stops) and his pickup pieces then told me he was GOING TO LUNCH.

That was the day I stopped being a runner gunner and learned not to trust management.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If he's not exaggerating about "touching" a thousand pieces and finishing under 8, it's unlikely that he is following the methods and working/driving safely.

Brownslave688

When I was a new driver just after making seniority I had somewhere I had to be fairly early one day and was given a split route, all residential, spread out everywhere and it was heavy. I asked my on-car if I burned it up if I could get out early and he agreed.

I busted my butt all day and like the good new 30 day runner gunner I was and worked through my lunch. I got the 165ish stops off (semi-rural areas on 8 different bid drivers' areas in 4 different towns) and finished at 5:45pm. Just before scanning my last package before starting the half hour drive back to the center the light on my diad came on telling me to go pick up someone's pickup pieces in another town.

I texted my on-car and was like wtf? He wrote back with a :censored2:ish tone telling me to just do it and that I was only grabbing pickup pieces. I was livid. When I got to the driver (a cover driver with about 3 years in at that point and a real jackazz) he told me that I was taking 20 stops. I lost my :censored2:. I called the on-car and was like wtf?? You lied. He told me he was instructing me to do it and hung up. The driver who I was meeting (now after 6pm) gave me the 20 stops (leaving him with 10 stops) and his pickup pieces then told me he was GOING TO LUNCH.

That was the day I stopped being a runner gunner and learned not to trust management.
On the bright side you learned early.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is a difference.

I don't tell people to slow down because I want them worse than their best. I do it because long term it's in their best intrest. Wear and tear is not something to take lightly and ups will take every ounce of what you have and ask you to still give more.

I agree with your approach but it is not relevant to this thread.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I took a full break and lunch today. I don't run. The route is heavy industrial, 70-90 stops, 46 pickups. The last pickup is at 1700, and you need to be there on time, otherwise they are closed.

Back to the point, is there anything in the contract that says "I did my work for the day, leave me alone?"
If he's not exaggerating about "touching" a thousand pieces and finishing under 8, it's unlikely that he is following the methods and working/driving safely.

That does not sound unreasonable for this type of route.
Personally, I hated these type routes although you got through earlier than others.

bumped

I always refuse to help. Sometimes it works and sometimes I'm instructed to help. I don't have/use a map. If I don't know where the work is, it might take a while since I have to drive around to find it.

CHALLY9TX

To the OP. Get used to it for 2-3 years. Don't run.

My seniority is now high enough that they don't ever ask me to help. And if they do I tell them no and that's the end of it. When I do help it's because basically I'm their last resort.

It used to be that drivers in the same loop would help each other out. We'd meet up and help out the driver who was heavy or help out a driver who needed to get off early. It was awesome because we took care of each other. Then a few years ago management put an end to that. They didn't want drivers dispatching themselves. Smh

You need to learn how to LIE & sound convincing @ that, Not to be too much like a :censored2:bag but next time you really want to get off & not screw around with the "help issues" when that dreaded red light appears on the diad & you know it's not a message instructing you to hurry & finish so you can go home(L.O.L) Just exercise your imagination. Maybe you just got a bad headache & you need to get home & rest or you have intense diarrhea from something you ate that you need to remedy. Maybe your lacking sleep from the other night you tossed & turned & need to get home so you can catch up on sleep to work safely the next day. If your not up to snuff most likely mgmt will move on to someone else to find help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that's kind of a bull:censored2: move. Everyone at my center thinks because they have 1 or 2 guys under them they shouldn't have to do anything. For the first 5 years of my career I never said a word. Just went and did the work. I wouldn't want to be stuck out there til 10pm so why would I leave someone else out to dry.

There have been many instances where I have come off road only to be asked to go back out and run off a residential split. When I point out that there are several lower seniority drivers in the building I am told that we want you to do it as we know it will get done both quickly and correctly.

S

selfcancelsignal

If they ask you if you'd like to help someone you can say no.

If they tell you to go help joe and you refuse you can be fired.
Again... False. At my center anyway. Got a msg. just the other day that so & so couldn't go over 9.5, meet up & help. I said no & that was the end of that.

mdnj88

To the OP. Get used to it for 2-3 years. Don't run.

My seniority is now high enough that they don't ever ask me to help. And if they do I tell them no and that's the end of it. When I do help it's because basically I'm their last resort.

It used to be that drivers in the same loop would help each other out. We'd meet up and help out the driver who was heavy or help out a driver who needed to get off early. It was awesome because we took care of each other. Then a few years ago management put an end to that. They didn't want drivers dispatching themselves. Smh

This was pretty
Much me and my buddies. We would just text one another to see who was banged up. Then the bosses put a end to that. Now it's just every man for yourself. Our new manager will have someone grab your pickup pieces then let us rot until 10:30

BUCN85

I took a full break and lunch today. I don't run. The route is heavy industrial, 70-90 stops, 46 pickups. The last pickup is at 1700, and you need to be there on time, otherwise they are closed.

Back to the point, is there anything in the contract that says "I did my work for the day, leave me alone?"
Well in our contract in central states there is specific wording " a driver can not be punished for refusing more work once they return to the building after completing their days work". So check into it.

Brownslave688

Again... False. At my center anyway. Got a msg. just the other day that so & so couldn't go over 9.5, meet up & help. I said no & that was the end of that.
It's not false. You can be fired for job abandonment. Just because they let you get by with it now doesn't mean tomorrow they will.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
In the central they cannot force you to go back out after you have returned to building. Also if you are asked to help while on road you can say no but if you are instructed to go and help you have to do it. To the poster that said learn to lie that is terrible advice. Not only does it show poor integrity but if you were to be caught you would be discharged for dishonesty.