PM part time Courier

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Hey planb0823, you should listen to these guys, your young enough to jump ship. Do it. And if you live where I live at being a ups driver we make over 33 an hour. And in 4 years we'll be at I think somewhere in the 38-39 ball park. And with over time that's 50 an hour. And we work A LOT of overtime.

hypo hanna

Hey planb0823, you should listen to these guys, your young enough to jump ship. Do it. And if you live where I live at being a ups driver we make over 33 an hour. And in 4 years we'll be at I think somewhere in the 38-39 ball park. And with over time that's 50 an hour. And we work A LOT of overtime.
And a FT topped out express swing driver at a top market level station is about 27 an hour. You only have to wait 30 years to reach top out pay. (That's a lie. In reality you can never reach top of scale at fedex).

Artee

Any fulltime routes are bid on by seniority in station first. Then if no takers the route opens company wide in jcats. Part timers can't simply bid on fulltime routes. You have to be upgraded to fulltime status first.

They can have 5 internal upgrades before they have to go outside to jcats and post fulltime. Part timers can bid on either fulltime regular or swing routes if the have previously posted the route for full timers only and there were no takers. Then they can repost it for the part timers or anyone else that would be interested in upgrading.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Great points. the OP needs to ask himself, "where will I be in 10 years if I stay at FedEx?" The answer: Nowhere. You will be making 2 or 3 dollars more per hour, will not have earned anything towards retirement, and will undoubtedly still have crap or no benefits. You'll get a piddly PPA, and new hires coming in the door will be making as much as you are...after 10 years.

God, if I were your age again and a bunch of people gave me the straight dope on FedEx, I'd wise the eff up and start looking elsewhere. Be grateful we're sharing the truth with you...get smart, and get out.

DontThrowPackages

.......God, if I were your age again and a bunch of people gave me the straight dope on FedEx, I'd wise the eff up and start looking elsewhere. Be grateful we're sharing the truth with you...get smart, and get out.
You need to ask yourself, is this going to be your life/career. If yes, then you need to really think about the retirement plan. Chances are, after a 25-30 year career, you'll still need to work because the pension plan isn't as good as it once was. If you live in a big city, someone in your situation would himself good by trying to get a city job. All paid holidays,vacation and sick pay. Great Medical insurance but best of all after putting in 25 years of service, your pension would be enough to live off of and enjoy the final years of your life.

planb0823

by retirement i think you mean my 401 k i thought i was good with fedex as i have it in a high percentage that they deduct from my check to add to it and fedex puts in a good amount.... and ya im in big city i live in los angeles area

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
by retirement i think you mean my 401 k i thought i was good with fedex as i have it in a high percentage that they deduct from my check to add to it and fedex puts in a good amount.... and ya im in big city i live in los angeles area

You might want to research what a pension is. A 401k is totally separate from a pension. It's great, that at your age, you are already contributing a high percentage to your 401K. Make sure you don't stop it.

DRAisawesome

I think what everyone is telling you is extremely accurate. If you need the job keep it. If your young look for other employment. If you wanna stay just be forwarned that there is little pay advancement. Along with decreased benefits that is the new fedex.

DRAisawesome

And 5 yrs down the road you can't use the excuse. "I thought things were different at FedEx". We are giving you information so you can make an educated decision

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
just wiki'd it now i see... ya my 401 k is important to me wish i could go higher in the percentage but i think theres a limit

I think you're on a very high dose of Kool-Aid. Your 401k is self-funded, with the exception of the pitiful FedEx match. Your PPA is your FedEx "retirement", and it isn't a retirement at all, but an annuity that grows with your years of service. It is quite small, and is in no way a pension.

We're trying to get you off the stuff and into reality here. Go to UPS, get a job as a package handler/sorter and wait the few years it takes to get into package car. Their pay, medical, and retirement all make FedEx compensation and benefits look like a bad joke...which they are.

Or, you can keep drinking the Kool-Aid and eventually wake-up to the facts.

planb0823

funny i just ate yoshinoya with a cup of kool aid hah... like i stated before i have applied to ups multiple times but no luck ill just keep my job and keep applying if i get the call back ill leave fedex itll be foolish to leave fedex and never even get a call back from ups

MAKAVELI

funny i just ate yoshinoya with a cup of kool aid hah... like i stated before i have applied to ups multiple times but no luck ill just keep my job and keep applying if i get the call back ill leave fedex itll be foolish to leave fedex and never even get a call back from ups
Persistence is the key with any really good career job.

planb0823

is it possible to work for both just looked in the ups page they have openings 9am-4pm which would be perfect as the courier position i got is in the afternoon

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
is it possible to work for both just looked in the ups page they have openings 9am-4pm which would be perfect as the courier position i got is in the afternoon

It IS possible to work for both, as long as you didn't mention at either company that you worked for the other. However, PM courier positions usually start anywhere between 2:00 and 4:00. The UPS hours would conflict with the FedEx hours. Go to UPS.

Express Courier

Lately I've been looking for a new job every day when I'm out delivering to businesses. I'm so sick of that place.

But yeah pm part time you will do a pickup rte and maybe some handling when you get back, maybe scan some docs etc. Then go home.

bbsam

Staff member
How many hours does a pm route run and how much does your crappy insurance cost. One of my drivers starts there on Monday at 2:30 and I'm wondering how much better she's going to find it.

thedownhillEXPRESS

How many hours does a pm route run and how much does your crappy insurance cost. One of my drivers starts there on Monday at 2:30 and I'm wondering how much better she's going to find it.
Part Time PM route in my station can probably get about 3 hours a day.If they want to stick around for the night sort that could turn into 4.5-5 hours a night.
Can't speak for single individual coverage on our plan maybe someone else can chime in.