Pointers for UPS customers accessing this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's peak the average work load more than doubles and at this late stage nothing is guaranteed on time. My advice to you is to call the 1800# get a will call and pick it up.

Scuderia

Don't put your label in such a way that the barcode folds over a corner of the package. Scanners won't pick it up, and some lazy employees will not punch in the numbers. Always place the label on a flat surface.Heavy stuff needs heavy duty packaging. Don't send a transmission in a plastic bin. True story. Made a mess.

Scuderia

Question: I'm selling my Gibson Les Paul Studio on ebay. I've packed it as best I could. Double boxing, 125 sq ft of bubble wrap, and an extra box to protect the headstock, but with the stuff I've seen at UPS I'm still a bit worry about damage to say the least. I've already the read the claim's process at the UPS website, but I've always heard about "inspecting the package in front of the delivery guy". Does this accomplish anything? Let's say my customers does this, and discovers the neck of the guitar broken in half. What happens next, will the driver take the package back and report the damage? Or is it better of the shipper/receiver to report the claim?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only time that I will allow a customer to inspect a package is if there is apparent damage to the outside of the package. We simply do not have the time to wait for a customer to open and inspect a package "just to make sure it is OK". I will offer to open a suspect package and will not deliver packages that have been trashed. The problem is there can be damage to the contents without any damage to the box. If the consignee inspects the package and does discover damage the damage claim is initiated by the shipper. The consignee must keep all of the original packaging so that UPS can determine if the package was properly packed.

I had a high value pickup at Staples yesterday that I refused. The package was valued at $3,200 and was packed in a shoe box.

Question: I'm selling my Gibson Les Paul Studio on ebay. I've packed it as best I could. Double boxing, 125 sq ft of bubble wrap, and an extra box to protect the headstock, but with the stuff I've seen at UPS I'm still a bit worry about damage to say the least. I've already the read the claim's process at the UPS website, but I've always heard about "inspecting the package in front of the delivery guy". Does this accomplish anything? Let's say my customers does this, and discovers the neck of the guitar broken in half. What happens next, will the driver take the package back and report the damage? Or is it better of the shipper/receiver to report the claim?
Insure the package for over 5,000. If you do this it will never mix with the population of other packages. It will only be Handeled by a high value clerk. Your chances will be very good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Insure the package for over 5,000. If you do this it will never mix with the population of other packages. It will only be Handeled by a high value clerk. Your chances will be very good.

The downside to doing this is you will only be reimbursed for the actual value of the guitar, not the inflated insured value. Plus, we charge $.35/$100 after the first $100 for insurance. Say the guitar is valued at $1,000. You would pay $3.15 for insuring the package for the $1,000. Now, if you insure it for $5,000 you would pay $17.15 to do so. Trying to resolve an overinsured damage claim is a nightmare--best to be honest up front.

The downside to doing this is you will only be reimbursed for the actual value of the guitar, not the inflated insured value. Plus, we charge $.35/$100 after the first $100 for insurance. Say the guitar is valued at $1,000. You would pay $3.15 for insuring the package for the $1,000. Now, if you insure it for $5,000 you would pay $17.15 to do so. Trying to resolve an overinsured damage claim is a nightmare--best to be honest up front.
17.15 for piece of mind priceless.

MsMartin

I have always received great service from UPS but am confused and an address issue. 3 homes where established off of what used to be one very long drive way. The drive way became a new road and looking it up on line or on a gps it did not exist. I've learned to list our new address and include "formerly.... and list the old address. However, for the second time, I am being told my address does not exist and sent to the shipper even though I have received shipments. The shipper sends it out again and again, my address does not exist. When I called the 800# she said they have ways of finding addresses when I offered to add the former address. What happens with new addresses? I see many of you make notes which is what I assumed was happening but its been 3 years and I still don't exist!:happy2: Just wondering. Thanks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have always received great service from UPS but am confused and an address issue. 3 homes where established off of what used to be one very long drive way. The drive way became a new road and looking it up on line or on a gps it did not exist. I've learned to list our new address and include "formerly.... and list the old address. However, for the second time, I am being told my address does not exist and sent to the shipper even though I have received shipments. The shipper sends it out again and again, my address does not exist. When I called the 800# she said they have ways of finding addresses when I offered to add the former address. What happens with new addresses? I see many of you make notes which is what I assumed was happening but its been 3 years and I still don't exist!:happy2: Just wondering. Thanks.

If you could answer a couple of questions, I might be able to help you.

1) When you say " 800#" - was that 1-800-PICK-UPS (1-800-742-5877)?

2) Do you receive your postal mail at your street address?
UPS Systems get their address information from the USPS database so if the USPS does not provide delivery of mail to your street, it may never get into the USPS database.

I will send you a Private Message here on Brown Cafe asking for your info and giving you my UPS e-mail address.

UPS Systems get their address information from the USPS database so if the USPS does not provide delivery of mail to your street, it may never get into the USPS database.

I will send you a Private Message here on Brown Cafe asking for your info and giving you my UPS e-mail address.
I think the option I gave him would have fixed it a lot quicker. Pm me if you want the quick option that they deleted.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Hoax, though you are correct in our addresses are derived from USPS databases, we have tons of addresses that don't get mail delivery and yet are in the UPS system. My home address is one of them. The OP can contact their PO and the county office to get their address in the systems.

wncdriver

Wow this whole conversation makes so much sense. After working in a center p/t for 14 years and driver helping nearly every christmas I have seen all this stuff happen. For instance, the transmission that I saw on the belt the other day that was LITERALLY wrapped in clear plastic, and nothing else! Yeah that wont get damaged. And so on. Yes we have an occasional envelope (usually next day) that gets hung in a belt and eaten but most of our damages are because of how something was packaged. Example: I ordered a Nook for my wife last year, it was shipping UPS and I was a bit concerned. I got it, in a box about twice the necesary size packed solid with layers of cardboard and foam snugly around the Nook itself. Barnes and Noble knows how to pack a box!
And yes, most customers dont understand anything or want to understand how the UPS man's day goes. All they see is the same brown truck go by 4 times a day. Think about it, next day packages off first, then bulk or business, then pick ups and residentials... When they ship a christmas gift already wrapped with no protection for the thin flimsy wrapping paper, they think it will get there as if has been snuggly packed in a bag on the back of a reindeer drawn sleigh! lol Not quite...

Wow this whole conversation makes so much sense. After working in a center p/t for 14 years and driver helping nearly every christmas I have seen all this stuff happen. For instance, the transmission that I saw on the belt the other day that was LITERALLY wrapped in clear plastic, and nothing else! Yeah that wont get damaged. And so on. Yes we have an occasional envelope (usually next day) that gets hung in a belt and eaten but most of our damages are because of how something was packaged. Example: I ordered a Nook for my wife last year, it was shipping UPS and I was a bit concerned. I got it, in a box about twice the necesary size packed solid with layers of cardboard and foam snugly around the Nook itself. Barnes and Noble knows how to pack a box!
And yes, most customers dont understand anything or want to understand how the UPS man's day goes. All they see is the same brown truck go by 4 times a day. Think about it, next day packages off first, then bulk or business, then pick ups and residentials... When they ship a christmas gift already wrapped with no protection for the thin flimsy wrapping paper, they think it will get there as if has been snuggly packed in a bag on the back of a reindeer drawn sleigh! lol Not quite...
Logistics

YesYouDidPushAButton

What happens next ? Well, non-truthful, integrity-less management will simply have us send it back as "Refused - Didnt Want" Not damaged, not Refused, damaged WHICH WE ARE ABLE TO DO BUT TOLD NEVER TO DO SO. Their thinking is this, if the customer sees their new guitar broken in half and say "I dont want this, it's broken, what now ?" Management says "Well, customer says they simply didnt want it" so return it to sender as "Refused Delivery - Customer Didnt Want" Not that "It's fawking broken in half and customer doesnt want the guitar we smashed and destroyed" Simply the customer doesnt want it.

It will go back to the shipper again not as a damage, not with an I'm sorry, not with claim info. It will be redlivered to them with a note that says "Hey! Your're customer totally didnt want this, here you can have it back, have a nice day !"

It's as awful as it sounds :(

Wasnt always like this

Status
Not open for further replies.