policy hounds..gotta question.

hypo hanna

"I have met the enemy, and he is us".

Every last person in this company, from top to bottom, who doesn't do his best every day no matter what they do to us is the enemy. We have an obligation to do right by them since they are paying our way. It's why I've been openly critical of their policies and haven't suffered retribution because I back it up with hard work. When I leave FedEx I may leave holding my nose over what they've done, but I'll be proud of what I've done over the years. And until I leave I'll be volunteering for Saturdays, for holidays, anything needed. I detest what they've done to rob me of my future, but I've detested for much longer working with people who've openly hated me for being willing to work. But the light is shining bright from the end of the tunnel, so soon I'll have better things to do.

NOPE! I have givin up enough time with friends and family to satisfy fedex's "operational needs", no more! FedEx takes away so Hanna takes away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"I have met the enemy, and he is us".

Every last person in this company, from top to bottom, who doesn't do his best every day no matter what they do to us is the enemy. We have an obligation to do right by them since they are paying our way. It's why I've been openly critical of their policies and haven't suffered retribution because I back it up with hard work. When I leave FedEx I may leave holding my nose over what they've done, but I'll be proud of what I've done over the years. And until I leave I'll be volunteering for Saturdays, for holidays, anything needed. I detest what they've done to rob me of my future, but I've detested for much longer working with people who've openly hated me for being willing to work. But the light is shining bright from the end of the tunnel, so soon I'll have better things to do.

Sorry, but you are being a fool. FedEx loves employees like you, because they can crap on you at-will, and you willingly come back for MORE. Please, oh, please abuse the living daylights out of me!! I'll take it, because I have principles!! You can be "proud" all you want for continuing to be Fred's little servant-boy. Not me. My effort is a direct reflection of how I am paid and the level of respect I am given as an individual and as an employee.

You are the enemy van, because you sit there and just take it. And there are thousands just like you...that's why we don't have a union or a means of fighting back.

vantexan

Sorry, but you are being a fool. FedEx loves employees like you, because they can crap on you at-will, and you willingly come back for MORE. Please, oh, please abuse the living daylights out of me!! I'll take it, because I have principles!! You can be "proud" all you want for continuing to be Fred's little servant-boy. Not me. My effort is a direct reflection of how I am paid and the level of respect I am given as an individual and as an employee.

You are the enemy van, because you sit there and just take it. And there are thousands just like you...that's why we don't have a union or a means of fighting back.

If you give better than you get then they have nowhere to go and I've had mgrs disciplined for messing with me because they couldn't point to anything I had done that deserved that treatment. And don't get me started about backstabbing coworkers who are always looking for a reason to rip into you. I work hard enough to where they may not like me, but they can't say I don't do my job. It's why I'm glad to be near the end of my time because there are very few redeeming features of this company, you get it from management and coworkers with no reward for what you put up with.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you give better than you get then they have nowhere to go and I've had mgrs disciplined for messing with me because they couldn't point to anything I had done that deserved that treatment. And don't get me started about backstabbing coworkers who are always looking for a reason to rip into you. I work hard enough to where they may not like me, but they can't say I don't do my job. It's why I'm glad to be near the end of my time because there are very few redeeming features of this company, you get it from management and coworkers with no reward for what you put up with.

Working hard and being a "7" might cover your ass, but is it really worth it? This company doesn't deserve your best efforts, especially in view of the fact of the way you've been treated. I think all of us who are long-timers are glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

hypo hanna

​And you end up in a vicious cycle that never ends.

So according to you, all I have to do to break this ugly cycle is to triple my efforts for the purple cause and then dear old uncle Fred S will recognize me for the superior driver I am and restore my pay and benefits? Gee, I had no idea it was that simple.

vantexan

So according to you, all I have to do to break this ugly cycle is to triple my efforts for the purple cause and then dear old uncle Fred S will recognize me for the superior driver I am and restore my pay and benefits? Gee, I had no idea it was that simple.

Nope, I'm saying for your own sense of dignity and pride that you don't stoop to their level. Might not be easy, might make you angry, but ultimately you'll be glad you left with your dignity intact. They're money grubbers, you aren't.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

That's right. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get Right with Fred!!

Maui

Wrong...

Seniority should account for something. "Drafting' is the filling of required shifts when there are NO volunteers. If the low person on the totem pole gets hit once a month with a draft - that is fine. With increasing seniority, comes a reduction in the potential liability for being drafted. Express' 'draft' isn't a draft at all, it is a misapplied 'round robin' method of assigning shifts. What happens when management 'forgets' who was last drafted? Happened all the time when I was in. I wasn't going to be management's bitch - and they left me alone.

Being low person on the totem pole sucks... Seniority in a blue collar environment should account for something.

Wrong yet again. The volunteer list is for those who WANT extra hours. Volunteering is completely separate from being drafted. You are speaking from a management perspective, seeming to link volunteering and drafting as being essentially the same...

And what is the methodology used for 'resetting' the volunteer list? Does Express do a 'round robin' (everyone gets an extra shift before anyone gets 2), or does Express do a reset within a period of time????

The draft procedure IS to prevent litigation directed at Express - however... the written policy and actual practice vary widely.

You are making the mistaken assumption that people don't mind working extra hours. I wasn't paid enough for what I did when I was at Express. I didn't work one extra minute that I didn't have to. Those who sign up for extra hours need the money - many (most of the part-timers) want NO PART in working outside their regularly scheduled shift.

Seniority does count for something...route bids, JCATS postings, all vacation bids (which is also unfair IMO) and last but not least a de facto two tiered wage system where high seniority employees are paid more and potentially have a maxed out traditional pension PLUS PPP.

The draft list is never taken down, just updated weekly and the entire roster of full-time employees are eligible. I'm not sure how long you have been gone, but this is a HUGE audit item along with the volunteer list.

In this instance, you are spouting your opinions as fact. You are the one making erroneous assumptions. I know not everyone wants additional hours, however, there are many instances where people want more hours than what is available. This is the absolute, unequivocal intention of the volunteer list...to track and monitor the fair and equitable distribution of hours to reduce litigation risk. If a person is skipped due to "operational needs", then that must also be posted on the volunteer list.

The volunteer list can not function in exactly the same way as the draft list precisely because of the number of people that feel as you did and would never volunteer for additional hours. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible to give everyone additional voluntary hours. So everyone that does volunteer should be given a chance for additional hours before a person gets 2. Volunteer lists are posted a month in advance. It is updated weekly and the records are kept for years just like the draft list.

What you are arguing for is an employee caste system. It should never be the case that some employees are an excluded class within the same job classification. It is an argument for FedEx treating people WORSE than they do now.

hypo hanna

​And you end up in a vicious cycle that never ends.

Nope, I'm saying for your own sense of dignity and pride that you don't stoop to their level. Might not be easy, might make you angry, but ultimately you'll be glad you left with your dignity intact. They're money grubbers, you aren't.
Actually my sense of dignity and self worth improves as I slow down. Wasn't that way when I started with FedEx back in the 80's, but then FedEx was a much different company then.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually my sense of dignity and self worth improves as I slow down. Wasn't that way when I started with FedEx back in the 80's, but then FedEx was a much different company then.

Yes. For many years I was a excellent Express employee that took pride in the company and always did my best. Over and above...al the time.Then the company changed course 180 degrees. They took everything they could, yet still expected us to maintain our high level of professionalism, customer service, and productivity. They still do. Why do anything "over and above" for them. They don't deserve your best effort.

Slowing-down is a statement of self-worth. Continuing to be their slave degrades your dignity and pride because playing their game requires devaluing yourself. We are nothing but box monkeys who are easily discarded and replaced by new, cheaper box monkeys.