policy on reporting a road call

UPSmechanicinblue

Wondering what the policy is for reporting road calls around the country. Some areas report only if a mechanic is sent and or if money is spent. Others say if package car leaves the building and cannot finish the day on it's own and must be switched with another must be also reported (some let a supervisor switch out cars on the rout to prevent reporting one). This ? maybe only for the mechanics who knows if it actually gets put into the system.

Dr.Brownz

Wondering what the policy is for reporting road calls around the country. Some areas report only if a mechanic is sent and or if money is spent. Others say if package car leaves the building and cannot finish the day on it's own and must be switched with another must be also reported (some let a supervisor switch out cars on the rout to prevent reporting one). This ? maybe only for the mechanics who knows if it actually gets put into the system.

Report to who?

One time the breaks in my PC went out and all I did was call the center and tell them. The sups brought out a another car and I finished.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He means when a mechanic has to fill out a paper. Doesnt really involve the driver except we're supposed to sign it for them.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I haven't had any mechanical breakdowns this year yet but I had two road calls last week. The first guy got stuck in the mud in some guy's driveway and had to be pulled out and the second guy drove up onto a driveway that was too steep and had the back end of the truck teetering off the ground. Still I got penalized for them both because its still a road call. They are entered into the system where I'm at by any mechanic, automotive supervisor, or manager that's present and it counts if someone is sent out, if a route can't be completed, and of course if a wrecker is sent out.

rod

Retired 22 years
I haven't had any mechanical breakdowns this year yet but I had two road calls last week. The first guy got stuck in the mud in some guy's driveway and had to be pulled out and the second guy drove up onto a driveway that was too steep and had the back end of the truck teetering off the ground. Still I got penalized for them both because its still a road call. They are entered into the system where I'm at by any mechanic, automotive supervisor, or manager that's present and it counts if someone is sent out, if a route can't be completed, and of course if a wrecker is sent out.

Out of curiosity--what happens to you if too many of these uncontrollable (by you) road calls are charged to you. Our mechanic for years didn't seem to care one way or the other what was charged to him. Then again he didn't give a crap what management though about anything.

UPSmechanicinblue

Out of curiosity--what happens to you if too many of these uncontrollable (by you) road calls are charged to you. Our mechanic for years didn't seem to care one way or the other what was charged to him. Then again he didn't give a crap what management though about anything.

nothing if they are operator caused break downs.

oldngray

nowhere special
For us the shop didn't get charged if the driver was able to get their vehicle back to the building without a mechanic coming out. Quite a few times cars would limp in to avoid that road call.

CHALLY9TX

I always call automotive before calling management. Our mechanics are great at trying to walk us through any issues. Mechanics used to give us tshirts if we made it in without the mechanics having to head out. We don't have to fill out any paper work. The mechanics do all that and they enter the breakdown time in our time cards.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
For us the shop didn't get charged if the driver was able to get their vehicle back to the building without a mechanic coming out. Quite a few times cars would limp in to avoid that road call.
E-brake cable broke on a 4 speed. Was told to find a brick or rock and when I stopped, leave it in gear and chock the wheels.

Had about 50 residential stops left.

Edit. I got a "Road Call Eliminator" shirt from the shop the next day.

Boulevard859710

I remember early in the day my clutch went out on one of the old P10s. I called it in and was prepared to wait but then I discovered the truck would get going when I popped the clutch. I was also able to shift gears and drove all day(200+ stops) like that.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
The definition of a Breakdown is stated clearly on the I-gate. In the case of a Center swapping out a car, that is not a breakdown. But if any Automotive personnel are dispatched, or a outside vendor, then it is a breakdown. I am sure that there are people who don't report them as they should. Just like anything else, it can be frustrating if you are doing it right when other people aren't. My opinion, people that hide them, or code them incorrectly to make it look better are asking for trouble.

QKRSTKR

E-brake cable broke on a 4 speed. Was told to find a brick or rock and when I stopped, leave it in gear and chock the wheels.

Had about 50 residential stops left.

Edit. I got a "Road Call Eliminator" shirt from the shop the next day.
Same thing happened to me. That package car didn't move again with me in it. They brought me another. Needless to say i didn't get a t-shirt.

I have laid on the ground though tape gun in hand beating on the starter to free it up. It worked.