Political Correctness

moreluck

golden ticket member
29ofuyq.gif

moreluck

golden ticket member
Unreal: Congressmen Told They Can’t Say “Merry Christmas” In Mail To Constituents…

Chalk another victory up for the PC-obsessed left.
Via Washington Examiner:
Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a “Merry Christmas,” if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be “franked,” or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including “Merry Christmas,” can be sent in official mail.

“I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no ‘Merry Christmas.’ Also told cannot say ‘Happy New Year’ but can say ‘have a happy new year’ — referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday,” said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Another Hill staffer told The Washington Examiner that “we were given that advice after submitting” a draft mailing.

moreluck

golden ticket member
They all should use this message..........

M ay I please inform
E veryone in my Congressional district that
R epublicans and Democrats ought to
R ally together each
Y ear at this time to

C ommemorate in a non-offensive way
H olidays that are
R espected or celebrated by the
I ndisputable majority of our
S teadfast constituents.
T his message has been
M eticulously crafted so
A s to neither endorse nor make the
S lighest mention of you-know-what.

texan

Unreal: Congressmen Told They Can’t Say “Merry Christmas” In Mail To Constituents…

Via Washington Examiner:
Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a “Merry Christmas,” if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be “franked,” or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including “Merry Christmas,” can be sent in official mail.

“I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no ‘Merry Christmas.’ Also told cannot say ‘Happy New Year’ but can say ‘have a happy new year’ — referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday,” said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Another Hill staffer told The Washington Examiner that “we were given that advice after submitting” a draft mailing.

Where have we gone to in this country? It gets so ridiculous.
I wonder if Happy New Year is next because it might offend the Aztecs or Mayans. Oh wait, the Mayans calander ends in 2012.
So we are good for Happy New Year this year, but not in 2012 to 2013.

bbsam

Staff member
I practice this 365 24/7.
It is amazing how quick some angry person can become de fused by a smile , a kind word, or a short chat.
I know it works coz my Mom told me so, and taught me, she was a pioneer of it and trust me she didnt have alot to be happy about.
And its alot easier, than being angry all the time. And better for your health.
sound corny I know, but it works.
You seem to turn it off with Klein and TOS. Maybe the "365 24/7" was just bragging. Or maybe you "practice" it all that time but you just aren't very good at it?

menotyou

bella amicizia
You seem to turn it off with Klein and TOS. Maybe the "365 24/7" was just bragging. Or maybe you "practice" it all that time but you just aren't very good at it?
Some people just know what button to push to get you to do things you would never have thought of. Yes, the button was there. It doesn't mean it had been pushed before. We all have those buttons that we really wish didn't exist.
At least, I know I have them. I really wish several of them didn't exist.

804brown

Via Washington Examiner:

Why waste more taxpayer money with this mailing anyway??

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Why should the taxpayers pay to subsidize Christianity? No politician ahould be endorsing and/or earning brownie points from any religious holiday. Where is the Tea Party? Oh, it's OK because it's Christmas, not some other "meaningless" holiday. More ammo for the worthless FOX "Attack on Christmas", starring maroon O'Reilly.

Isn't the purpose of practice to improve a skill and show an attempt for self improvement?

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi.

Maybe More's practice needs to be upgraded to perfect practice. Many of us could use some of the same.

In the matter of TOS and Klein, they skip practice.

Originally Posted by 804brown

Why waste more taxpayer money with this mailing anyway??
I agree

Why should the taxpayers pay to subsidize Christianity? No politician ahould be endorsing and/or earning brownie points from any religious holiday. Where is the Tea Party? Oh, it's OK because it's Christmas, not some other "meaningless" holiday. More ammo for the worthless FOX "Attack on Christmas", starring maroon O'Reilly.

Hardly subsidizing, LOL. That's quite a stretch, I'm so sure millions of agnostics will see the light and embrace christianity because of the mailings. What this is, is subsidizing the politician's wallet. I think it is fine for any politician to endorse the religion of his/her choice, as long as they do it on their own dime. In fact the Constitution protects their right to do so.
Oh, it's OK because it's Christmas, not some other "meaningless" holiday
Did ya miss the part where it prohibited the mentioning of the NEW YEARS holiday also? LOL
Christmas is hardly meaningless to the vast majority of America even when religion is not part of the equation. Many businesses yearly survival depends on Christmas sales. Abolish Christmas and half the retailers in the country disappear, along with the jobs they provide.

What is really worthless is bringing up O'Reilly and Fox in the discussion.

texan

TRPLNKL is so correct. Start with us UPS. No driver helpers hired. Look at our volume during peak for the company.
Now I do not embrace this time of year because of buisness or peak benefits.
I often think of Turkey farmers. Imagine that Thanksgiving is next to be abolished or frown upon. That is their peak.
Or flower buisness peak on 14 Feb or mothers day.
Then again, most times of observance that are frowned upon are only those that invoke faith in our US roots and founders values.
So 14 Feb is most likley safe from the PC police.

TRPLNKL is so correct. Start with us UPS. No driver helpers hired. Look at our volume during peak for the company.
I often think of Turkey farmers. Imagine that Thanksgiving is next to be abolished or frown upon. That is their peak.
Then again, most times of observance that are frowned upon are only those that invoke faith in our US roots and founders values.
IMO, feb 14 should be the first one to go. LOL

moreluck

golden ticket member

But....Saint Valentine's Day ?? Saint ? It's not safe either.

"Saint Valentine's Day, commonly shortened to Valentine's Day,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] is an annual commemoration held on February 14 celebrating love and affection between intimate companions.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] The day is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine, and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD. It was deleted from the General Roman Calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI. It is traditionally a day on which lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished."

But....Saint Valentine's Day ?? Saint ? It's not safe either.

"Saint Valentine's Day, commonly shortened to Valentine's Day,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] is an annual commemoration held on February 14 celebrating love and affection between intimate companions.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] The day is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine, and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD. It was deleted from the General Roman Calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI. It is traditionally a day on which lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished."

In our house we celebrate love and affection everyday and it is done without the unnecessary flowers and candy. The only thing we don't do daily is the giving of cards. BTW, we're not catholic.

804brown

Then we can rename it: Merry Giftmas.

But seriously maybe this is where lots of family debt starts. People charging crap they cant afford just so the idea that "santa" is real is kept alive in our kids minds??

Im surprised the right hasnt gone after santa for his liberal mindedness. I mean all kids, whether they are "naughty or nice" all get free gifts on christmas. Im sure communist kids in cuba or no korea get visits from santa too. I guess thats why he wears "red" that pinko, Then there is all the breaking and entering he does...lol