Politics, Religion, Morals and Work Ethic.

But where does that moral and work ethic come from. There has to be some sort of solid foundation so that it doesn't all cave in on you, right?

I always,well at least as always since I had my own,believed that kids are a blank piece of clay. It`s in you to do the best you can to mold them. It doesn't matter on any of the details as to who you are as far as race,religion,income,etc. The most highly regarded person can raise the devil,while the poorest pauper can raise the saint and vice versa.

Quick story
My 15 daughter is a softball fanatic and made the all star team this year for the first time. We were playing catch in the yard and she asked me if I was proud of her because of that. I told her no, that what made me really proud was to see her on her own decision go out of the way to take care of some elderly neighbors of ours. She always checks in on them,makes them food,etc. I thought what I said might upset her as I said it but she just smiled and went back to playing catch.

My wife tells me I`m a good father. I tell her I think I`m a terrible one,but that`s why I try so hard at it. Nobody on here can say who`s doing it right or wrong,you just have to try your best.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And also the people that think that there should be a separation of church and state, which is NOT in The Constitution
That is correct.

What it does say is that they will not create or adopt a state religion. That would be a violation of the constitution.

The separation of church and state was brought about by the atheists, which by its nature is a religion, the religion of no religion.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
YA, but it does wonders for your girlish figure. That wonder bra will fit by thanksgiving!I guess I ought to add ;) to let people know Im kidding?

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm eating a bowl of cereal with no cereal in it. Not very filling!

That is correct.

What it does say is that they will not create or adopt a state religion. That would be a violation of the constitution.

The separation of church and state was brought about by the atheists, which by its nature is a religion, the religion of no religion.

d
No wonder why Hoax feels so empty, and why atheists are on such a tirade against God. They have a God-less void, that needs filling, though they refuse to fill the God-shaped void with the right piece of the puzzle, JMHO, as always.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That is correct.

d
Actually the the phrase and concept were coined by Thomas Jefferson. As far as I know he wasn't an atheist, but neither was he an evangelical or a fundamentalist. He believed pretty strongly that government and religion should not mix.
Atheism simply means the absence of belief in god. It's a religion in the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby.

With that said....I am seeing that many young kids and the younger members of the work force are coming out on their own with little to none of these four things. No respect for the law, laziness, no true belief in a higher power, and a one sided indoctrination to one side of the political spectrum in our schools (Kindergarden through college) has ruined the 30 and under members of society. I don't think that it is absolutely necessary that kids are taught politics, religion, morals, and work ethic to become good members of society but those that are tend to have a leg up on those that don't.

As a hard working non-believer under the age of thirty, I must take issue with the assertion that faith is the driving factor behind a good work ethic.(It can be but is not required) In my 23 years I have seen my share of lazy coworkers and those with outstanding work ethic, regardless of religious belief. In my opinion I think that morality can also be learned from parents and family, not only religion.

I don't mean to put down religion at all. I am not an anti-theist and don't plan on debating the existence of a higher power because in the end it's none of my business what other people do with their minds and their families. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Actually the the phrase and concept were coined by Thomas Jefferson. As far as I know he wasn't an atheist, but neither was he an evangelical or a fundamentalist. He believed pretty strongly that government and religion should not mix.
Atheism simply means the absence of belief in god. It's a religion in the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
If you're conciously not collecting stamps, that is a hobby, whereas if you don't even think about stamps it makes it a non-issue, JMHO as always, and not trying to get into a religious, political, moral pissing match by any means.

As a hard working non-believer under the age of thirty, I must take issue with the assertion that faith is the driving factor behind a good work ethic.(It can be but is not required) In my 23 years I have seen my share of lazy coworkers and those with outstanding work ethic, regardless of religious belief. In my opinion I think that morality can also be learned from parents and family, not only religion.

I don't mean to put down religion at all. I am not an anti-theist and don't plan on debating the existence of a higher power because in the end it's none of my business what other people do with their minds and their families. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
Great post, justaquestion. Wouldn't the way you believe make you more of an Agnostic than an Atheist? I'm of the thinking that Atheists fight to disprove the belief of God/Higher power, whereas Agnostics just don't care to believe this way. Sorta like saying you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I do. JMHO, as always. Sorry for my lack of eloquence in this explanation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you're conciously not collecting stamps, that is a hobby, whereas if you don't even think about stamps it makes it a non-issue, JMHO as always, and not trying to get into a religious, political, moral pissing match by any means.
Defining a "hobby" as anything you are consciously not doing is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that anyone would agree with it.
The dictionary definition:
An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Great post, justaquestion. Wouldn't the way you believe make you more of an Agnostic than an Atheist? I'm of the thinking that Atheists fight to disprove the belief of God/Higher power, whereas Agnostics just don't care to believe this way. Sorta like saying you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I do. JMHO, as always. Sorry for my lack of eloquence in this explanation.
Why do you think this?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jones

If the private belief system of an atheist were his private belief system, then there would be no argument.

Te problem lies that the atheists push that belief system onto others via misinterpretation of the separation of church and state. So the lack of any religion is a religion when it come to them proselytizing others. Just like if someone was trying to force Catholicism on others, the forcing of no religion is a religion, which is against the constitution.

And that is where the problem lies. IF you want to say a prayer in school, do so. IF others want to partake, fine. If not fine, the school should have no right to dictate either way. But yet, because of the atheist influence in our political society, in many places you cant.

That is not what the framers of the constitution had in mind. Its your personal belief, and your personal right to exercise that belief. But it is not your right to force your belief or lack there of, on the rest.

d

Thanks stevetheupsguy. The way I look at it is that there are two kinds of atheists. The first group take the view that they must at least try and persuade(or convert) believers to their point of view. I would call them anti-theists. The second group which I would place myself in would be just plain atheists. This group consists of people who are open-minded enough to listen to other people without dismissing them just for having different beliefs.

gopack

Here is a couple of interesting quotes.

" Christianity has become the most perverted system that ever shone on man. Rogueries, absurdities,and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and imposters led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teachings of Jesus."
Thomas Jefferson.....

John Adams signed the treaty of Tripoli: Article 11 states
" The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian relgion."
John Adams....

" Lighthouses are more helpful than Churches."
Ben Franklin....

" The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."
Ben Franklin....

" Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."
James Madison.....

"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (The Bible)."
Thomas Paine....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Defining a "hobby" as anything you are consciously not doing is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that anyone would agree with it.
The dictionary definition:
An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Why do you think this?
Because that's the way I see the differences in the two. Justaquestion explains it pretty well in the post below. It's sort of like Atheists are on a mission to disprove God's existence and take as many of His followers as they can, whereas agnostics just want to hang out at the bar with you, talk smack and drink a beer. JMHO, as always. Maybe I'll make this my signature, so I don't have to keep typing it to CMA, LOL.

Thanks stevetheupsguy. The way I look at it is that there are two kinds of atheists. The first group take the view that they must at least try and persuade(or convert) believers to their point of view. I would call them anti-theists. The second group which I would place myself in would be just plain atheists. This group consists of people who are open-minded enough to listen to other people without dismissing them just for having different beliefs.
Again, well said and very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Here is a couple of interesting quotes.

" Christianity has become the most perverted system that ever shone on man. Rogueries, absurdities,and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and imposters led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teachings of Jesus."
Thomas Jefferson.....

John Adams signed the treaty of Tripoli: Article 11 states
" The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian relgion."
John Adams....

" Lighthouses are more helpful than Churches."
Ben Franklin....

" The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."
Ben Franklin....

" Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."
James Madison.....

"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (The Bible)."
Thomas Paine....
So where does this put you? Are you saying that you were raised a certain way but changed your thinking after reading what was said by these guys, or is this the teaching you had from your parents when you were growing up?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones,
If the private belief system of an atheist were his private belief system, then there would be no argument.

Te problem lies that the atheists push that belief system onto others via misinterpretation of the separation of church and state. So the lack of any religion is a religion when it come to them proselytizing others. Just like if someone was trying to force Catholicism on others, the forcing of no religion is a religion, which is against the constitution.

And that is where the problem lies. IF you want to say a prayer in school, do so. IF others want to partake, fine. If not fine, the school should have no right to dictate either way. But yet, because of the atheist influence in our political society, in many places you cant.

That is not what the framers of the constitution had in mind. Its your personal belief, and your personal right to exercise that belief. But it is not your right to force your belief or lack there of, on the rest.

d
Danny,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there has been no law passed denying students the right to say a prayer. What has been prohibited is having the school endorse one particular religion or other by, for instance, having teachers or staff lead the students in prayer, or endorsing religion by setting aside a time out of the school day for the students to pray. Students themselves are free to say prayer before a big test, or before their school lunch, or whenever.
As far as the influence of atheists, I think you're vastly overestimating it. Every law that has ever been passed in this country has been written by religious, church going congressmen and signed into law by a religious, church going president. No atheist has ever been elected to national office.
Every court challenge to the legitimacy of those laws has been ruled on by religious, church going judges. No atheist has ever been appointed to the Supreme Court, nor, at least to my knowledge even to any of the appellate courts.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Because that's the way I see the differences in the two. Justaquestion explains it pretty well in the post below. It's sort of like Atheists are on a mission to disprove God's existence and take as many of His followers as they can, whereas agnostics just want to hang out at the bar with you, talk smack and drink a beer. JMHO, as always. Maybe I'll make this my signature, so I don't have to keep typing it to CMA, LOL.

Again, well said and very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

So where does this put you? Are you saying that you were raised a certain way but changed your thinking after reading what was said by these guys, or is this the teaching you had from your parents when you were growing up?
The actual difference between an atheist and an agnostic is that an atheist will state that he doesn't believe in god, while an agnostic will say that he doesn't know, or isn't sure. I've been an atheist all my life, and I can assure you that I have no interest in trying to prove that god doesn't exist or taking away his followers.