Poll: APWA-Support or Oppose

Do You Support or Oppose the APWA's Attempt to Kick the IBT to the Curb?

• Yes. It's time for a change for the better!

Votes: 48 51.1%
  • No. I'm a Teamster all the way! The APWA is a union buster!

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Maybe. I'm skeptical right now. The APWA hasn't earned their wings yet.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I don't care. Neither can fix our pension problem.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

705red

Browncafe Steward
I had no idea that APWA was in town today, I have not heard of them except for the internet. I have never heard anybody talk about them at my Hub, if I mention them, I just get puzzled looks. The Atlanta Local went for Leedham last IBT election, we are Central States and very unhappy with Hoffa. I would like to see a decertification vote happen, I just don't think that it will be in the near future.
Heres an idea instead of leaving the teamsters( which will never happen), why dont we get a solid slate of upsers and freight together to run for ibt office. That makes alot more sense to me. We have roughly 230,000 votes that could turn the ibt over into a ups lead administration, if upsers would ever vote in droves!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Heres an idea instead of leaving the teamsters( which will never happen), why dont we get a solid slate of upsers and freight together to run for ibt office. That makes alot more sense to me. We have roughly 230,000 votes that could turn the ibt over into a ups lead administration, if upsers would ever vote in droves!!!

We had a UPSer run the IBT once. His name is Ron Carey, and he led us into the Strike of '97 and continued our lousy participation in the Central States Pension Fund. I'm sorry to say I voted for him, just like I'm sorry to admit I voted for Jimmy Carter for President in 1976. The worst two votes of my life, I never voted for a Democrat since.

705red

Browncafe Steward
So scratch you think were be better off leaving the teamsters? What can the apwa enforce without the bargaining of the teamsters.

satellitedriver

We had a UPSer run the IBT once. His name is Ron Carey, and he led us into the Strike of '97 and continued our lousy participation in the Central States Pension Fund. I'm sorry to say I voted for him, just like I'm sorry to admit I voted for Jimmy Carter for President in 1976. The worst two votes of my life, I never voted for a Democrat since.

Ditto Scratch,
Except I voted for McGovern not Carter.

30andout

So scratch you think were be better off leaving the teamsters? What can the apwa enforce without the bargaining of the teamsters.
Anyone trained to do bargaining can do it, we still will have the threat of a work stoppage. That is the only power the teamsters have.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Really, how much is in the apwa strike fund? Do you really think the company run union that the apwa is would strike? Do you really think any other union wouldnt cross our pickets?

submarine

Banned
Another
Pathetic
Wasted
Attempt
by management to subvert Teamster Unity!
Hey, lets make it the Scab Union for Scabs. That should be fun to watch them all line up and kiss management's ass!

30andout

Lets have another vote to sink submarine, sounds like he's just another unhappy UPSer who should get another job.

brett636

Lets have another vote to sink submarine, sounds like he's just another unhappy UPSer who should get another job.

I think he just sees this for what it is. A weak attempt dividing UPSers in hopes of weakening the teamsters. Its better to work with what we have instead of jumping ship and starting all over again.

EDIT: Anyone notice how the APWA has less than 50% support now? So much for all the cheering in the early part of the thread.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I think that we need to fix what we have now. I have a lot of years in and my biggest concern is what will happen to my pension credits if somehow the APWA would be able to take over. I am trying to stick as much as possible in my 401K now, I don't expect my Central States Pension to improve no matter who takes over.

Lizzard Toungue

Another
Pathetic
Wasted
Attempt
Hey, lets make it the Scab Union for Scabs. That should be fun to watch them all line up and kiss management's ass!
If you could pull YOUR HEAD OUT OF HOFFAS ASS then may bee you could see we can do better than the IBT. Just look at UPS pilot's contract. They did very well for themselves once they dumped the IBT and formed their own union.:mad:

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you could pull YOUR HEAD OUT OF HOFFAS ASS then may bee you could see we can do better than the IBT. Just look at UPS pilot's contract. They did very well for themselves once they dumped the IBT and formed their own union.:mad:
Ok and who else was represented by that union? Where they the only company to belong to that union?

30andout

Ok and who else was represented by that union? Where they the only company to belong to that union?
How many of you people are that stupid. This will be a new union of only UPS people , run by UPS people, why would anyone want another union who represents all walks of life and also our competitors?

any122

adirondack man
Another
Pathetic
Wasted
Attempt
The APWA the union for UPS employees only!Get it right.NO MORE HOFFA,NO MORE CORRUPTION,NO MORE LIES,NO MORE STEALING UNION DUES,NO MORE MISHANDLEING OF UPS PENSIONS,NO MORE UNDERFUNDED PENSIONS,NO MORE SHADY CONTRACTS.You can be a part of the apwa or keep trowing your hard earned cash into the defunked IBT
I international
B BULL_HITTING
T THIEVES

sawdusttv

It's funny that 705red thinks that 238,000 UPSers is a strong enough number of members to turn the ibt into a UPSers administration, But he does not thing that it is a large enough number to be run as a totally independant union such as the APWA. A fine example of teamster brain washing.