Poll: APWA-Support or Oppose

Do You Support or Oppose the APWA's Attempt to Kick the IBT to the Curb?

• Yes. It's time for a change for the better!

Votes: 48 51.1%
  • No. I'm a Teamster all the way! The APWA is a union buster!

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Maybe. I'm skeptical right now. The APWA hasn't earned their wings yet.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I don't care. Neither can fix our pension problem.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

satellitedriver

I think he just sees this for what it is. A weak attempt dividing UPSers in hopes of weakening the teamsters. Its better to work with what we have instead of jumping ship and starting all over again.

EDIT: Anyone notice how the APWA has less than 50% support now? So much for all the cheering in the early part of the thread.
I have noticed that AWPA has 100% more support in the poll than the teamsters. Numbers are funny that way.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It's funny that 705red thinks that 238,000 UPSers is a strong enough number of members to turn the ibt into a UPSers administration, But he does not thing that it is a large enough number to be run as a totally independant union such as the APWA. A fine example of teamster brain washing.
Sawdust the problem with ups teamsters is most of them dont care, dont vote, and are only worried about themselves. I am not a hoffa supporter, not really a big fan of the guy, but he won the election so he runs the ibt. I can only talk about what i see in local 705, and we elected a upser to run our local back in 2002. Since he has taken over we (upsers) have seen a pension increase for only us(upsers) not for the other trades within our local. Which could have cost him in the 06 election, but the ups vote came in to show their support for what he has done for us. Thats why i say we should take control of the ibt with another upser. Im not brain washed i see what happens with my eyes, i file for sups working and see the money in my check, and i get involved. You should try it sometime!

satellitedriver

Sure but if it was a real vote you couldnt vote now could you? Of course not when you withdrew you gave up that privelage right?
Real vote? You mean the one that allows decertification? Yeah I have that right and so do all non-management employees. When I withdrew, I only gave up the right to send money to an organization that does not support the best interest of UPS employees over the best interest of teamster management. It is a poll not a mandated vote BTW.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think the poll's numbers speaks for itself. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure if this poll were presented anywhere else, with the exception of "teamster.net" and Detroit (and other such "union citys"), the results would be similiar. Most people in my area don't even know the APWA exists yet but I can still tell there is allot of bad feelings towards the IBT. It is evident when the reps from the union hall come visit (which is rare) and many of the drivers won't even shake their hands. Some won't even talk to them.

over9five

Staff member
"I only gave up the right to send money to an organization that does not support the best interest of UPS employees "

Translation:

I only gave up the right to send money to an organization who got this unskilled, uneducated person $28 an hour.

Must be nice to still make the money the Teamster fought so hard to get you.

Overpaid Union Thug

"I only gave up the right to send money to an organization that does not support the best interest of UPS employees "

Translation:

I only gave up the right to send money to an organization who got this unskilled, uneducated person $28 an hour.

I don't think anyone is faulting the IBT for getting us the opportunity to make $28.00/hr. It's all of the things they haven't done and should have and the things they have done that they shouldn't have that has put them on thin ice. Its like Chris Rock said during one of his shows...."I hate win people brag about doing things that they ARE SUPPOSED TO DO." He did a segment on that and it was hilarious but was so true.

Cole

After nearly 20yrs ate UPS, 14 as a pkg driver and 6 as a parttimer, 18 as steward, I see the parcel workers as our best chance and getting what we deserve.

satellitedriver

Translation:

Now, now little cyclops.

You have no idea of the extent of my education or skills. Last weekend I did a little install job. Made $200.00 in forty minutes. Now, if I were retired under the CS plan,I would not have been able to install those stain glass windows(that my wife designed and fabricated in our studio) in a church without their approval.
Please, speak directly to me instead of trying to translate what I said.
Now, which teamster fought for me?(teamster should have been in the plural form in your post)
Is the next thing we are going to play is the IQ score game?
Or, are we going to play the I have this skill game?
I am not a superman, but I will not take that guff from you.
Yes, it is nice to earn the money I work for.
It would be even nicer to receive 100% of the benefit money provided by UPS instead of 40%.
Nice eyeball, does the other one float around as much?

Last edited:

sawdusttv

Sawdust the problem with ups teamsters is most of them dont care, dont vote, and are only worried about themselves. I am not a hoffa supporter, not really a big fan of the guy, but he won the election so he runs the ibt. I can only talk about what i see in local 705, and we elected a upser to run our local back in 2002. Since he has taken over we (upsers) have seen a pension increase for only us(upsers) not for the other trades within our local. Which could have cost him in the 06 election, but the ups vote came in to show their support for what he has done for us. Thats why i say we should take control of the ibt with another upser. Im not brain washed i see what happens with my eyes, i file for sups working and see the money in my check, and i get involved. You should try it sometime!

705red,

pick your head up and look around!
There is a whole big world out there, and it doesn't revolve around local 705, sorry to break the news to you. Soon you will see that the majority of UPSers are feed up with this teamster unity farce, it is an elusion. But what are you going to do when the majority speeks loud and clear in a short while and the teamsters elusion of representation disappears? Are you still going to remain with good old 705, or are you going to ride the wave that the rest of us have created (THE APWA) by being involved?
Yes 705, I am very much involved. I am a founding charter member of the APWA and am very much involved in the effort to make the APWA our UPSERS CBA.
Yes 705, I was a dues paying member of the IBT for 22 years, and also a shop steward for 6 years. Until I woke up and realize that there is a much better way. The APWA way!!!!!

Cole

The Teamsters have had their chance and haven chosen to ignore the members. Please check the pension of the mechanics under the machinists/aeronauitcal union for UPS, that get the same contributions as us, I think they get roughly $6,000.00 a month in pension, I don't have the data in front of me at the moment but I will post it later. It only shows the Teamsters chose to mismanage our money at best.

Imho I do believe we deserve better than the Teasters have given. I would love to see the minutes of tht "Climatic Conditions Committe listed in our contract, because obviousley it is another toothless "committee" that has done nothing. I would like to see if those on this committee get a pension for being on it too?

brett636

The Teamsters have had their chance and haven chosen to ignore the members. Please check the pension of the mechanics under the machinists/aeronauitcal union for UPS, that get the same contributions as us, I think they get roughly $6,000.00 a month in pension, I don't have the data in front of me at the moment but I will post it later. It only shows the Teamsters chose to mismanage our money at best.

Imho I do believe we deserve better than the Teasters have given. I would love to see the minutes of tht "Climatic Conditions Committe listed in our contract, because obviousley it is another toothless "committee" that has done nothing. I would like to see if those on this committee get a pension for being on it too?

So a dissident organization with no representation experience, no real plan for its supposed future members, and a fuzzy math pension plan is the answer? I think not.

I would vote for the mechanics union to take over, I will not vote for the APWA.

30andout

So a dissident organization with no representation experience, no real plan for its supposed future members, and a fuzzy math pension plan is the answer? I think not.

I would vote for the mechanics union to take over, I will not vote for the APWA.
Goes to show what you think of your fellow employees, because that is what the APWA is and will be made up of.

705red

Browncafe Steward
705red,

pick your head up and look around!
There is a whole big world out there, and it doesn't revolve around local 705, sorry to break the news to you. Soon you will see that the majority of UPSers are feed up with this teamster unity farce, it is an elusion. But what are you going to do when the majority speeks loud and clear in a short while and the teamsters elusion of representation disappears? Are you still going to remain with good old 705, or are you going to ride the wave that the rest of us have created (THE APWA) by being involved?
Yes 705, I am very much involved. I am a founding charter member of the APWA and am very much involved in the effort to make the APWA our UPSERS CBA.
Yes 705, I was a dues paying member of the IBT for 22 years, and also a shop steward for 6 years. Until I woke up and realize that there is a much better way. The APWA way!!!!!
You say you were a dues paying member, are you now in management? or did you retire? or did yo withdraw?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Real vote? You mean the one that allows decertification? Yeah I have that right and so do all non-management employees. When I withdrew, I only gave up the right to send money to an organization that does not support the best interest of UPS employees over the best interest of teamster management. It is a poll not a mandated vote BTW.
When you withdrew you gave up your right to vote for your local union election, the ibt election, oh ya the right to vote on my contract with ups. You probably crossed the picket line in 97 too right? How much are you saving in dues ? because you still have to pay them not just as much as the rest of us.

satellitedriver

Fuzzy math? Shoot, I thought basic math still applied as it has since it was developed thousands of years ago.
Dissident, you make it sound like is a bad word.
No real plan? I guess you are going to have to read the part that states. UPS money only goes to people that work for UPS.
No representation experience? Ya, just a bunch of locals are going walk into a negotiating meeting and say "what do we do now?"
When you say," I think not." That point I will concede.

sawdusttv

When you withdrew you gave up your right to vote for your local union election, the ibt election, oh ya the right to vote on my contract with ups. You probably crossed the picket line in 97 too right? How much are you saving in dues ? because you still have to pay them not just as much as the rest of us.

You say you were a dues paying member, are you now in management? or did you retire? or did yo withdraw?

Let me try and explain a few things to you 705.

The vote that we are talking about is the NLRB vote to certify the APWA as our CBA. Each and every hourly employee that fall under the teamster/ups contract is eligable to vote whether they are an active member of the teamsters union or not. Understand?

In a right to work state, it is each individuals choice whether to be a union member or not and if you choose not to be, you don't pay one penny in union dues, and being that you teamster zombies are so predictable, I'll go ahead and answer your next jab ahead of time. Yes, I paid dues for 20+ years, and now devote my funds to our new union THE APWA! Understand?

I was a dues paying member, and shop steward, and I withdrew from the IBT. I am not in management. I am a feeder driver, and a proud member of the APWA UNION!!!
UNDERSTAND?

satellitedriver

YO red,
Yes ,I crossed the line. Read my reply to the other post you made to me. Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya on that one. I was to busy counting the money I have invested with the union dues I have not paid in almost ten years. $80 a month for ten years with growth and interest. Can you spell Cha- Ching!!!!!.
Actually, I give that money to charity. It is doing better helping children that truly need it than throwing it into a money pit.
I gladly gave up the ability to vote on your(as you stated my contract) contract. As it mainly serves the needs of teamster management and other companies that are not UPSER's. I live in Texas were one does not have to contribute to an organization that one does not belong.
I feed on the teat of UPS, not the teat of the teamsters.

Cole

I can tell you straight up 705 I have been hugely involved as a steward for 18yrs now, and have never seen representaion from the ba's I thought is equal to the work we put in for UPS. I learned alot many years ago, and have stayed involved, but the fight ends when I have to give the grievances to the ba, then they barter behind closed doors and undermine the members, and this had been every ba we have had in my nearly 20yrs at UPS.

I was a picket line captain in 97, but since Hoffa has been in things have gotten so weak I have seen many brothers who were pretty militant throw in the towel, and some dropped out the union, which is upsetting to me, but due to very poor representation, and even poorer management of our pension funds etc...I can sympathize with them somewhat, though I wouldn't drop out.

I have been fighting so long and I have grown tired of fighting both sides, and I simply see the AWAP as a much better opportunity to right alot of wrongs without all the politics and corruption. You get tired of talking up the IBT, when you see these things transpire, and your grievances pretty much used as toilet paper. You start looking like a real people, especially when you add in the pension disasters!

UPS people reping ups people will deal with the issues having full knowledge of the inside and out of UPS.

In the year 2007 every truck should have power steering, which was created what in the 1950's. Anyone who drives one w/out pwersteering knows these trucks are very hard to turn, and after several yrs of it, starts really wearing out the elbow joints etc... Also again, it's the year 2007 and there's no ventilation in the backs of trucks, and it is brutal in the summer, as well as the stiff clutches in these old trucks, high steps and narrow doors.

Some can blame the company, who certainly is partially to blame, but I being a steward, and dues paying member put more blame on a weak union, that doesn't give a rats butt about these issues, and in most cases hasn't had to experience this, since after all, the Parcel Director of the IBT, never worked for UPS. Talk about no repsect. Let's also not forget, the "study the Teamsters were going to do over the harness seatbelts verse the lap belts"...Never heard anything else about that one. Pension..pension...pension!!! All that equals alot of talk and little walk. Sure there are some Teamster officials that give their all, but they're stuck in a big machine that blocks alot of their efforts, except when an election is coming up.

Granted if the awap wins the right to be our bargaining agent these issues will still be there, but there will be alot less red tape to deal with to good satisfaction on the job imho of course.