POLL: With the details of the Tentative Agreement out, What is your vote?

What is your vote with the details available in the 2013 Tentative Agreement?

• Yes

Votes: 33 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 207 86.3%

• Total voters

LEEROY BROWN

How about putting us all in the best plan out there not worst!! And for those thinking it is still better than what most folks get, this may be true but we are not most people we are TEAMSTERS. We can't continue to let the working man get shafted, we are the standard, we get knocked down and all working men and women get knocked down!!

UPS Preloader

This is my last contract I am voting on, and basically I am ashamed at how the part time work force and retirees are forgotten at every contract. I started working on the Midnight Sort as a 17 year old kid in 1975. The starting pay was $4.25 an hour compared to the $2.10 minimum wage that my friends were making at fast food joints and other entry level jobs. That was good money back then, and the 1982 contract changed all that. I think part timers should be making a lot more than what they do now. I actually talk to my preloader, I'm amazed that people will get up at 3 AM and work multiple jobs and go a year with no insurance.

Thanks Scratch. This is the way it should be. Thanks for your solidarity. I wish there were more like you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about putting us all in the best plan out there not worst!! And for those thinking it is still better than what most folks get, this may be true but we are not most people we are TEAMSTERS. We can't continue to let the working man get shafted, we are the standard, we get knocked down and all working men and women get knocked down!!

The ideal would be to have one national Teamster health plan. Can you imagine the bargaining power the union would have when shopping around for the best plan? Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any health insurance companies which are licensed and/or allowed to operate in all 50 states, so the idea of a single Teamster health care plan is simply not feasible at this point in time.

The way it works is UPS gives your union local a set amount of money per hour per covered employee up to 40 hours per week. The union then takes this money and solicits bids from regional health insurance providers. The goal is for our healthcare costs to be less than or equal to what UPS is paying. One way to keep our costs down is to have co-pays and deductibles. Another is for the members to be smart consumers when it comes to seeking medical care. Ask yourself if the generic will work just as well as the name brand or if you really need to go to the ER tonight or can it wait until the urgent care facility opens in the morning. Think of your health insurance ID as being your money. I am in no way telling anyone not to seek medical care when needed---all I am saying is do you really need to go to the ER for that bump/bruise/scrape or can it wait until the morning.

If you want to see shafted ask the single mom who has to choose between getting glasses for her kid or putting food on the table.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Well said Scratch. I too made good wages as a part timer from 1981-1988, worked 2 jobs. Now turnover is commonplace for PTs. This will be my last contract also. It seems (IMO) our representatives take care of themselves 1st and we are left with scraps. Mind you, our scraps are pretty good, I just don't feel our best interests are being served. I think our negotiators interests are being served unto themselves.

Inthegame

It seems (IMO) our representatives take care of themselves 1st and we are left with scraps. Mind you, our scraps are pretty good, I just don't feel our best interests are being served. I think our negotiators interests are being served unto themselves.
You have every right to negate the TA but going after your reps is cheap. What H&W plan do you think your reps are in? In nearly every case it's not the UPS plan. If you're in Illinois you're either L705 or 710. Both have extremely hard working reps with quality leadership, especially L705.
"I think our negotiators interests are being served unto themselves" How so Shakespeare?

BMWSauber1991

Has anyone made any fliers to hand out. I am a part timer and want to hand out some information before and after work off UPS property for part-timers to review? If anyone has made anything let me know or I can make something this weekend.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You have every right to negate the TA but going after your reps is cheap. What H&W plan do you think your reps are in? In nearly every case it's not the UPS plan. If you're in Illinois you're either L705 or 710. Both have extremely hard working reps with quality leadership, especially L705.
"I think our negotiators interests are being served unto themselves" How so Shakespeare?

Face it, they sucked at negotiations this time around. Seems to me that UPS was in total control after dropping the Health Care Bomb early in negotiations. Hoffa and Hall were clearly playing defense after that.

iruhnman630

Leaning 'yes.' Still waiting for the final details.

I need to be convinced of the potential for significant improvements to be gained when it is all over by sending them back to the table before casting a 'no' vote. Ultimately I will support my co-workers first, union second.

Leadfarmer153

Weak 9.5 rules, no changes on surepost, part time cover drivers year round, 50 cent raise for part timers, 2300 new full time jobs, growth alone will call for more then that. This TA is a slap in the face

UPS did a heck of a job distracting everyone with health care. The old hey, look at my right hand, while they pick your pocket with the left.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...no changes on surepost...

This is not true---there have been significant changes proposed to Surepost which will bring it back more in line with original concept. Technology will be introduced which will weigh and dimensionally measure larger Surepost packages and will retain those which weigh 10 lbs or more or exceed a certain dimensional size (this figure was not available). We will continue to deliver stops with 2 or more Surepost packages or Surepost stops adjacent to ground stops.

Leadfarmer153

The wording is very vague on surepost. It gives no timeframe on the new tech. I'm betting in 2018 it'll be worse and we'll be saying what happened to that technology for surepost stops?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
This is not true---there have been significant changes proposed to Surepost which will bring it back more in line with original concept. Technology will be introduced which will weigh and dimensionally measure larger Surepost packages and will retain those which weigh 10 lbs or more or exceed a certain dimensional size (this figure was not available). We will continue to deliver stops with 2 or more Surepost packages or Surepost stops adjacent to ground stops.
How about the new language on Surepost packages maximum wieght NORMALLY ABOUT 10LBS. And if a big shipper in 2014 wants to ship 15lbs packages Surepost, what's to stop them.