Poll

Grievances filed over vending machine prices: valid or a waste of time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This poll is in response to a grievance filed by one of our members on behalf of the employees at his work location. Please take a moment and vote and/or give your opinion. Thanks. Dave.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Since upstate hasn't informed everyone on why its a grievance i will. Several weeks ago a new vendor was brought in to manage the vending machines. So out went the old and in came the new, i had talked with the building manager and expressed concerned that the prices should stay comparable.

Well they didn't, Gatorade went from a buck to $2 per bottle, bag of pretzels was 45 cents now a buck, candy was reasonable 60 to 80 cents. I went back to him and discussed the pricing. We (several stewards) called the 800 number on the vending machines and were told that the company sets the prices in these machines. I than talked to the vendor himself as he was refilling and he told me the same. The prices vary from building to building and its the same vendor in all of our buildings.

Now the reason this grievance is being filed is because the members especially ptimers are upset and angered. Even to the point were they are allegedly filling the machines with slugs so they cannot take coins. Now if the vendor was solely responsible for the rices it might not fly, but since ups does it is a grievance.

No matter the outcome of this poll this grievance will heard and followed through on, because the members have called for it.

Channahon

Wow, I never knew of UPS setting vending prices at any location I had worked at, across the country. Although, I suppose things can change, but I would think the increase in price would have simply reflect the increase in food prices.

Finance generally is responsible for securing the vendor, and any vendor issues, such as losing money in the machine. Finance also solicit bids from companies, with at least a few minority owned vendors.

Now putting slugs into the machines, can be considered vandalism, so you might want to advise the youngsters, to stop that practice, no different than putting your foot through the machine, trying to get those Fritos that are hung up.

This creates an additional cost to the vendor or UPS, depending on the contract lanuage signed, as to who will pay the repair cost.

JMO

drewed

Shankman
Red where does it say in the contract that UPS is required to have vending machines at all? This time last year they were talking about pulling out all the machines here. And honestly if the pters are putting slugs in the machines, they should be subject to disciplinary action either their defacing property of a vendor or interfering with vendor business.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...Now the reason this grievance is being filed is because the members especially ptimers are upset and angered. Even to the point were they are allegedly filling the machines with slugs so they cannot take coins. Now if the vendor was solely responsible for the rices it might not fly, but since ups does it is a grievance.

No matter the outcome of this poll this grievance will heard and followed through on, because the members have called for it.

Red, I respect your opinion the majority of the time. However....

This is one instance where somebody should have smacked some sense into the PartTimers. Is there somewhere in the contract that states "UPS shall have vending machines (with necco wafers & snickers) and the prices shall be reasonable" ??

Sorry, if there actually is a case regarding this, it is silly, and demeans the workers & the Union.

Cute-UPS-Man

That sucks to hear. Gatorade is $0.90 a bottle at the building I work at. The only problem I have is the machines run out of Gatorade/Powerade and it takes them anywhere from 2-5 days for the vendor to fill it up again. Which sucks when you are craving or are in need of a little electrolytes.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
That sucks to hear. Gatorade is $0.90 a bottle at the building I work at. The only problem I have is the machines run out of Gatorade/Powerade and it takes them anywhere from 2-5 days for the vendor to fill it up again. Which sucks when you are craving or are in need of a little electrolytes.

You guys are all obviously smoking dope.

Let's take this to it's logical conclusion......

If there were NO VENDING MACHINES AT ALL, this would not be an issue.

drewed

Shankman
YEA exactly BBAG if i was the center manager in this situation if they want to waste my time to grieve it then they dont need the vending machines at all, see how much they bitch about that.... And from my expierence the vending company bids, they bid how much each item will cost (with their markup) and how much it will cost to maintain the machine (coming out and filling and cleaning) then UPS ( or whichever company) will add on a marckup to cover those costs, as well as power for the machine. SO it maybe an increase in costs for the consumer but i remember a post from a cach member complaining that the vending machines were never filled, the increase could be cover the better service?

drewed

Shankman

Question if prices suck soooo much, why not go to costco where you can get like 32 gatorades for 12 bucks, or even at lowes you can get like 12 for 8?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

you kept mentioning that the company set the prices. which one, ups or the vending company?

if it was ups that set the pricing, then yes you have a legit grievance. if it the vending company, then vote with your feet and dont buy their stuff.

so please clarify which company you are talking about.

for those of you that dont know, in many buildings if not all, ups gets a kickback from the vending companies that set their machines in place. so if the items have doubled, and if ups is price gouging, then we have the "company store" type issue.

d

BrownSuit

I concur with what others have said. Going into Peak, if I were the center manager, I would yank the machines rather than deal with the Grievance.

If you have a problem with the prices, don't buy it. The machines will eventually be pulled or prices adjusted. Boycott the machines.

Part of the contract with UPS likely dictates that they will sell X amount, it's just like the agreements we have with our customers. If they don't sell X amount, bye bye machines. New vendor comes in or prices change. Supply and Demand.

If anybody is caught damaging the machines or putting slugs in them, they can be terminated immediately for destruction of property.

It would also not be beyond reach for their last check to be debited for repairs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In all honesty,

Vending Machines are there for the employees of the company because there is no where else to get a drink or snack in the building. In most places, No on has access to lockers to put their lunch or snacks in.

Most of the time, there is a rush to get these items because people only have 10 minutes to get there, wait in line, get snack, enjoy 3 minutes of peace, then get back to work area.

For a company like UPS to actually rip off people who are working for them is absurd. I have no problem pricing the machines to pay for themselves. But UPS shouldnt be making money off this.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I agree, we pulled the vending machines out at our center. Instead UPS has a Patty Wagon come in every morning and we all get all we need for the day. Hot /Cold

drewed

Shankman
In all honesty,

Vending Machines are there for the employees of the company because there is no where else to get a drink or snack in the building. In most places, No on has access to lockers to put their lunch or snacks in.

Most of the time, there is a rush to get these items because people only have 10 minutes to get there, wait in line, get snack, enjoy 3 minutes of peace, then get back to work area.

Except for MAYBE the locker thing, how is any of that is UPS's problem? On a sort the only fluid youre supposed to have for intake is water, no food so using your logic youd have to jug a 16 oz gatorade and whatever snack in 3 mins......

Id still say pull the machines.

wyobill

This poll is in response to a grievance filed by one of our members on behalf of the employees at his work location. Please take a moment and vote and/or give your opinion. Thanks. Dave.

Are you kidding? Next someone will file a grievance on the toilet not flushing fast enough :biting:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Except for MAYBE the locker thing, how is any of that is UPS's problem? On a sort the only fluid youre supposed to have for intake is water, no food so using your logic youd have to jug a 16 oz gatorade and whatever snack in 3 mins......

Id still say pull the machines.

Then I hope UPS will furnish them refrigerators and lockers so people can bring drinks and snacks with them.

The break room is also the only room with a/c in my building that a union employee can go in.

buttere

Well, I think that is BS for the part timers. Of course, when I worked part time, I couldn't afford to go to the snack machine anyway. I would do as previously suggested and boycott the machine. Start bringing your own snacks and drinks that you can get cheaper at Wal-Mart or wherever.