Poorly loaded trucks vs Do it yourself

HBGPreloader

You don't move a bulk stop for a business to the RD unless you ask the driver first. They know their route...if it's not easier for them to take stuff out the back at a particular stop...due to parking or whatever the reason, you just made their day more difficult.
Just last week I moved a bulk stop to the rear of the car. However, as someone mentioned, I used common sense and distributed them equally between RDL & RDR and loaded the rear door stops on top of them.

I learned this trick the hard way after getting a bulk stop of 100+, ~40# boxes of collectible coins. I dropped them all to the floor like I would normally. However, they were so heavy, the car leaned so far over to one side that it ended up leaning against the car parked next to it.

BTW, too many drivers are too cheap to give Holiday bonuses - no matter how good of a job you do.

The "misload" reports are a joke because they typically don't address missed ad-cuts (that come when you're trying to wrap) or bad pals. I was charged with a misload when the package, heading to another state, was address corrected to one of my cars - 3 days in a row.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
In all honesty...I've both preloaded and have gone driving...If you're slammed, the best thing you can do for your driver is try to get 1-4 as close as perfect as possible and 5-8 can be loaded as horribly as you want. Don't just chuck stuff for sure, but don't spend time fine sorting 5-8 unless you have the time. I have to move 5-8 forward anyway and will have to fine sort at some point anyway. Most good drivers after bulk and air will take the 5-10 minutes to fine tune their shelves anyway. Just keep stops together. Nothing worse than finding 3/4 pieces on the shelf and having to dig on the floor for the other one. Just toss all of them on the floor.

mixyo

Dispatcher
You can wipe your :censored2: with the load diagram....the numbers are rarely accurate. Today I had on that listed 2 bulk stops...and yet I had 5...and the total piece count said 242..when it was well over 300. Another another way for Brown to waste more paper.
Yeah, the forecast sheets that are printed daily are completely useless as the numbers are usually off by 50+ pieces.

Sent using BrownCafe App

J

jibbs

You work for UPS, and they are the one that issues you a paycheck, not any whiney driver. If any driver wants you to do them any favor or load a certain way, tell them to go take a hike. Remember, you don't come to work to make any friends.

On the other hand, a majority I've the drivers I've loaded for will look out for you so long as you look out for them-- by, you know, loading the truck instead of piling boxes on top of each other, for instance.

It's nice to know you can have a misload or two and your drivers, more often than not and when capable, will handle it themselves instead of sheeting it up.

I always try to go above and beyond for drivers that do that kind of stuff. Ironic part is they also seem to be the most capable drivers to begin with (again, in my experience).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
On the other hand, a majority I've the drivers I've loaded for will look out for you so long as you look out for them-- by, you know, loading the truck instead of piling boxes on top of each other, for instance.

It's nice to know you can have a misload or two and your drivers, more often than not and when capable, will handle it themselves instead of sheeting it up.

I always try to go above and beyond for drivers that do that kind of stuff. Ironic part is they also seem to be the most capable drivers to begin with (again, in my experience).
Take care of them...and they'll hand you a wad of cash at Xmas...

J

jibbs

Take care of them...and they'll hand you a wad of cash at Xmas...

And that. That's always a nice bonus, but there's a lot of people that seem to never load the same set/pull of trucks. Those people probably won't be getting tipped come Christmastime no matter how awesome of a loader they might be.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My part of the belt is a training area for preload, so (A) I have no idea who my preloader is and (B) my preloader has no idea of how to do the job yet.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
And that. That's always a nice bonus, but there's a lot of people that seem to never load the same set/pull of trucks. Those people probably won't be getting tipped come Christmastime no matter how awesome of a loader they might be.
I'm grateful for the Xmas tips...but I'd traded them for a Big Gulp one a week in the summertime...

J

jibbs

I'm grateful for the Xmas tips...but I'd traded them for a Big Gulp one a week in the summertime...

Lol, I hear you. I don't care for random food/drink from management or drivers (it's more of a personal thing, I don't like taking food from people) so that's a non-issue for me. I'd sell a kidney for Chik-fil-a brought to me on the regular, though.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Lol, I hear you. I don't care for random food/drink from management or drivers (it's more of a personal thing, I don't like taking food from people) so that's a non-issue for me. I'd sell a kidney for Chik-fil-a brought to me on the regular, though.
no Chik-fil-a here....but I trust my drivers...I don't think anyone's gonna spit or jizz in my Coke...lol.

J

jibbs

Ahhh. It's not a hygiene thing for me (unless it's a buffet-like situation and I see preloaders dirty as :censored2: dogpilin' over donuts and bagels and the end of the shift.)

I don't want it held over my head. I always feel like a person expects something in return when I'm offered something, and I also don't like being bribed with food by management for doing my job.

They bring in something I love, sure, I'll probably take the hand-out, but they shouldn't expect us to go head over heels because somebody stopped at Dunkin Donuts before a 5 hour shift and hey, Preload, you guys can have some donuts now before you go home at 9am. "Don't forget to grab one on your way out!"

Fuuuuuuck, it's bad when you can find fault with being given free :censored2:...

djkre8r

I hate it when they have them bulk it out (I drive a mall route) before air gets there. I then end up with air and savers all in a tote mixed together. All sizes and nothing up front in the 1000 section. It's due to lack of training and that just don't care attitude from sups. "Just get it in there. He gets paid $30/hr. He can find it."........ then I have to make return trips to businesses later in the day because it took so long to find it!!!!!!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
jibbs said:
Ahhh. It's not a hygiene thing for me (unless it's a buffet-like situation and I see preloaders dirty as :censored2: dogpilin' over donuts and bagels and the end of the shift.)

I don't want it held over my head. I always feel like a person expects something in return when I'm offered something, and I also don't like being bribed with food by management for doing my job.

They bring in something I love, sure, I'll probably take the hand-out, but they shouldn't expect us to go head over heels because somebody stopped at Dunkin Donuts before a 5 hour shift and hey, Preload, you guys can have some donuts now before you go home at 9am. "Don't forget to grab one on your way out!"

Fuuuuuuck, it's bad when you can find fault with being given free :censored2:...
Management can shove their free bagels and donuts. My old PT sup...he was my sup for about 6 years...and every Xmas eve..his wife would bake a big batch of homemade cookies for him to bring in for the loaders in our center. She couldn't bake to save her life...they were not very good cookies...but it was a very sweet gesture for people she never even met. In return...every year...the loaders on my old belt would each chip in 5 bucks and we'd buy him a gift card to DD or 7-11 for Xmas.