Positive Change Towards A True Safety Culture

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Shutting down is an easy call to make when the roads are officially closed.

The TRUE test of UPS's "safety culture" will be during the aftermath of the storm. Will they cynically cut routes, overload the rest with a dispatch that would take 14 hours on a clear day in order to hit a Stops Per Car metric, and then hide the service failures by using "EC" as a cop-out on packages that should be recorded as "missed?"

Or will UPS do the RIGHT thing and send all available drivers out with reduced workloads in order to get caught up while still stressing safety and accepting the fact that the snow will reduce productivity?

My money would be on the former. Hope I am wrong.

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
Shutting down is an easy call to make when the roads are officially closed.

The TRUE test of UPS's "safety culture" will be during the aftermath of the storm. Will they cynically cut routes, overload the rest with a dispatch that would take 14 hours on a clear day in order to hit a Stops Per Car metric, and then hide the service failures by using "EC" as a cop-out on packages that should be recorded as "missed?"

Or will UPS do the RIGHT thing and send all available drivers out with reduced workloads in order to get caught up while still stressing safety and accepting the fact that the snow will reduce productivity?

My money would be on the former. Hope I am wrong.
this is the BIGGEST and MOST IMPORTANT safety issue of them all! well said! safety training and safety meetings and all things SAFETY go out the window when a guy or gal pulling a route is carpet bombed with work to the point where its not even funny! this puts huge amounts of pressure on the driver and come on, they say driver is responsible for making smart driving decisions and staying safe which is true but if I were to practice textbook training practices on the real world street id be lucky to get half my stuff done! and im sorry i have only been driving less than 8 years maybe not nearly as long as some other veterans here but when a driver tells me that an overwhelming route doesnt get to him or her at all , sorry if im skeptical, it gets to me at least a few times a day when i feel im behind and i dont drive like a maniac or anything but lets put it this way, you wouldnt video tape my route for an orientation video....and the thing that bothers me is an accident is an accident, company will roast me for the accident, NO excuses...this is an industry wide problem i feel as im new to ups but have been driving feight p&d for 8 years at nemf, abf, and now ups, cant imagine how much crazier it is for you package guys and gals, and im a city freight driver doing 20 stops a day which is i feel a ton of work in a 48 ft trailer

ch317273

isaid this earlier in another post and i have to say it again, i feel like for companies like ups and most logistics delivery companies, its all about the numbers, regardless of a body count, if i died on a route for any company like ups or fedex, all that safety vernacular would be used against me in a court of law and of public opinion, in a nutshell, when real safety issues like overwhelming routes arent recognized, i realize all ssafety is to the company is "drivers are ALWAYS at fault"...dont get me wrong i am grateful to work at ups, its just issues like this have always left me scratching my head

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So the storm has passed.

Is UPS emphasizing safety and adding routes in order to clean up the backlog?

Or is it "business as usual" with routes being cut and Stops Per Car being the beginning and ending of the decision making process?

Integrity

Binge Poster
So the storm has passed.

Or is it "business as usual" with routes being cut and Stops Per Car being the beginning and ending of the decision making process?
sober ups,

Sounds like a good topic for a discussion thread.

Have at it.

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So the storm has passed.

I glanced at the dispatch thingy early this AM and most of the routes were "in the red". Not sure if that was projected or actual but there was plenty of work and few if any extra routes.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
So the storm has passed.

Answer from my building, sent out heavy with the thought we would ECD a lot. I was told to bring back my last 17 and sheet them up as ECD and get off the clock

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Everyone knows it is very easy to talk bad about a company, any company, but I feel it is important to give credit where credit is due when positive change occurs.

I have to give the management in my area the credit for using caution and taking action by closing various operations for this storm.

I can't claim to know if their were monetary reasons behind it, but regardless of the motives it is a clear Safety First benefit to those in the storms path.

Although some who cannot be pleased will joke about this decision, the real truth is that if the decision was not made then Safety First credibility would have been broken not built.

My experience tells me that this site would have been full of comments about the company's failure to care about safety.

This is and should be recogized as a positive change in the safety culture at the company.

I recognize there is a long way to go but one must start somewhere.

Sincerely,
I
Be safe

ch317273

i have a supe at my barn that looks like david lee roth.....the modern day post cocaine roth.....i call him david sometimes and he growls at me with this look on his face like he wants to hurt me without actually saying any words....it makes my soul feel gratified every time it happens, keeps me coming back to work every day:cool:

Petey McManus

I'm relatively new to the Dallas branch of UPS, but all I keep hearing about is "the shift in culture" and "we're changing the culture" and the like. But what I find ironic is the people saying these things will mention/brag in the same breath that they have been with the company 35 years, 30 years, 25 years, etc. Is it fair to say that there is a lack of accountability from some of the upper management--whereby THEY THEMSELVES have created the culture they are aiming to change? With the extremely high turnover rates the company has, I have noticed that the people working at UPS less than a year are the ones who are receiving the majority of blame for the so-called negative culture. And the full-time supervisors who SCREAM and BELITTLE and walk around with a sense of entitlement have absolutely ZERO self awareness that maybe--just MAYBE-- they are as much a part of the problem.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm relatively new to the Dallas branch of UPS, but all I keep hearing about is "the shift in culture" and "we're changing the culture" and the like. But what I find ironic is the people saying these things will mention/brag in the same breath that they have been with the company 35 years, 30 years, 25 years, etc. Is it fair to say that there is a lack of accountability from some of the upper management--whereby THEY THEMSELVES have created the culture they are aiming to change? With the extremely high turnover rates the company has, I have noticed that the people working at UPS less than a year are the ones who are receiving the majority of blame for the so-called negative culture. And the full-time supervisors who SCREAM and BELITTLE and walk around with a sense of entitlement have absolutely ZERO self awareness that maybe--just MAYBE-- they are as much a part of the problem.
Petey McManus,

Denial runs deep for most problems in culture.

In companies and in society.

Sincerely.
I