Possible condition keeping me from driving?

Seahawks17

Yeah if I took the vision test while covering my left eye, I wouldn't be be able to see 5 feet in front of me...

Guess I'm just going to stick to PT in the hub and continue working two jobs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Seahawks17

I just recently went to see my own optometrist about 2 weeks ago and took the vision test where you look at the letters on the chart. I couldn't see the biggest letter at the bottom while covering my left eye. So I do try, I'm just physically unable to see that well out of my right eye.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Foamer Pyle

I know someone at work in your situation, and he always passes the physical because he has memorized the eye charts. Do what you have to do. We all go to the same place for ours here, and it's very easy to find out which eye chart they are using.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

I know someone at work in your situation, and he always passes the physical because he has memorized the eye charts. Do what you have to do. We all go to the same place for ours here, and it's very easy to find out which eye chart they are using.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No way. Do not falsify a DOT physical. When you are found out you will be terminated for falsifying employment records. We have a deaf guy who works FT Art 22.3 so there are always other options.

I just recently went to see my own optometrist about 2 weeks ago and took the vision test where you look at the letters on the chart. I couldn't see the biggest letter at the bottom while covering my left eye. So I do try, I'm just physically unable to see that well out of my right eye.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Did you ever try LASIK?

onestoptogo

You may want to google DOT vision exemption. You may be able to get a waiver and be able to drive. It is worth a shot.

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
You may want to google DOT vision exemption. You may be able to get a waiver and be able to drive. It is worth a shot.

If he/she does get a waiver, it will be the 1st that I am aware of. The guy in my center was told by the DOT Doc that he was legally blind on 1 eye and would not pass and HR said that without a DOT card, no driving school.

UPS will not allow a waiver unless they are forced by the courts.

trweber

I had a similar situation I had 20/20 in my left eye 20/200 I'm my right eye I could see about the 4th line down with my right eye(not as bad but still horrible with glasses) with glasses it improved dramatically. I wore them during my dot exam and passed i don't know how lol I the got PRK( a version of LASIK) the next day to help out with the job it can be financed with $0 down I payed 1895 for 1 eye at the #2 rated company in the entire US. Went through driving school a week later passed no problem. Please don't give up try glasses/ memorization what ever works if you have the will power you can make it!

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Again, DO NOT FALSIFY any physical papers or conditions. Check the medical procedure options, might be promising for you.

Art_Norm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, I discovered it through a google search. I am also legally blind out of one eye. Been working preload for 10 years, and just bid on a FT driver position last week. I'm actually 1st in seniority on the bid sheet. This is a huge buzzkill. It never even crossed my mind until the driver sup asked me about my vision today, as my left eye is a blueish color. You don't really think about it after you've lived with it for so long, the injury happened 20 years ago. He told me about the DOT physical. They really want me to go on the road, they acknowledge me as being one of the hardest workers on the preload, but I know I'll fail the vision test horribly out of my left eye. Even with corrective lenses I can't see the biggest letter on the chart. Should I even go forward with it? Is there any hope?

oldngray

nowhere special
You need to be able to see out of both eyes. One eye can be worse but it can't be worse than 20/50 corrected (think) or you will get disqualified.