Possible driver death due to heat

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Getting reports of a driver that was taken off life support in NC around 2pm today. Anyone confirm this, if so please keep the family in your prayers.

Update: apparently someone made a post on the vote no Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook and honestly have no idea how to use it.

Last edited:

Johney

I can't find anything. Although I talked to one of our p/c guys today and he says since being on Orion he has never spent as much time in the back of a package car as he has now. Not good with a heat index of 100 degrees.

Luv2gym

Saw it on the vote no Facebook page. Apparently a female driver had a heat stroke in the back of the package car and managed to crawl out. They found her 10 feet from the package car. SAD.

watdaflock?

It does not matter what type of shape you're in when working in a metal box with zero air circulation in 98% humidity. That does for drivers, pre/late load and sorters.

Luv2gym

It may sound cold-hearted but Austin is right.
Hopefully that's not the case. I can say in my part of the country we went from pretty decent temps to temps that are pretty unbearable. Factor in the humidity and you have problems. But I do find forcing yourself to drink water even if you're not thirsty helps a lot. By 1230 I've had about 7-8 bottles of water. By then I'm usually acclimated.

moldsporh

Like I said in another thread.....if OSHA probed the back of the truck, things would change.

Very sad to hear this news.

THERE IS NO EFFIN REASON FOR PALTRY VENTILATION IN THE PACKAGE CARS, MAINLY THE CARGO ARRA.

NONE.

SHAME ON YOU UPS.

What we have to ventilate the rear area is a hole the size of a golf ball, for up to 1200 cubic feet.

It can be done with keeping the area dry...they just won't do it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I hope she's okay but it does not sound good.

There was a heat-related death of a local driver in 2009. His name was Rick and there is a thread on BC about him. The temperature that day was around 97 degrees and it was late August, maybe the 21st.

A few folks have taken to bringing thermometers to measure the heat produced in the rear of the vehicle, some clocked 130+ this past week.
Not trying to get off the subject. But we had a few hot days a couple of weeks ago. They actually sent us a message to take a minute or two and cool off,and get something to drink.

Too bad she didn't get the same.

Sorry if I'm too far off on this topic.