Possible Fatal Flaw in the package cars?

wornoutupser

My keyless suddenly quit working while I was driving down a road. The engine, power brakes, and power steering quit.

Thankfully I was on a straight stretch of road with no turns or hills.

I hit the fob twice with no result. I am an "old school" driver and I keep my keys close. While driving I had to grab the keys and start the engine the old fashioned way to regain full control.

My center has had this happen twice recently. Has anyone else had this problem?

The Driver

I drive.
This is my worst nightmare. Driving 65 MPH down the interstate and the package car suddenly locks up. I think I'll tell my girlfriend and family I love them again.

aiian

Been there done that, luckily the PC was a manual and I just engine braked the POS to a stop.

You're lucky you have access to the keys, our are locked up.

By The Book

My keyless suddenly quit working while I was driving down a road. The engine, power brakes, and power steering quit.

Thankfully I was on a straight stretch of road with no turns or hills.

I hit the fob twice with no result. I am an "old school" driver and I keep my keys close. While driving I had to grab the keys and start the engine the old fashioned way to regain full control.

My center has had this happen twice recently. Has anyone else had this problem?
Is this for real? Have you written it up and talked to your mechanic and what did he say? You mentioned this has happened twice. What have they done to fix this?

PT Car Washer

Had one package car that would die when I hit a bump. Key would not even start it. Learned to reach under the dash and play with the wires on the keyless switch. That worked until I hit another big bump. Shop finally fixed it right.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you search, this has been noted before. I think soberups had it happen to him.

Not good at all.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Happened to me, same situation. There was a batch of "defective relays" whatever that means, and my car had one of them. It was replaced and I haven't had a problem since, but to be on the safe side I always make sure to have the actual ignition key on the ring with the fob so that I can get it fired up in case it ever happens again. I have never understood the logic of keeping a spare fob and key set in a lock box when we could just as easily keep the keys on the ring as a backup.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
My rear door solenoid caught on fire which shut down the ignition because its all wired together with keyless....truck shut down going 55 down the hwy. I managed to fight it off the road before it completely stopped. I dont see a fix until enough people get killed or a bad lawsuit.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

Sadly, this issue has been reported numerous times. Wasn't a near fatal accident a result of this and posted here?

You have to wonder about these fully electronic push button ignitions. They're obviously not 100% safe. Never heard it happen with a keyed ignition switch.

Either way, there hasn't been enough occurrences for UPS to care. Too many millions wrapped up in the tech.

Indecisi0n

Sadly, this issue has been reported numerous times. Wasn't a near fatal accident a result of this and posted here?

You have to wonder about these fully electronic push button ignitions. They're obviously not 100% safe. Never heard it happen with a keyed ignition switch.

Either way, there hasn't been enough occurrences for UPS to care. Too many millions wrapped up in the tech.
They are safe. The problem is they aren't meant to be put in these old POS trucks.

Kinrossy

Here's another safety issue with FOB's. Ever stall a manual at an intersection? 95% of our manual pc's will not start back with just pushing the toggle switch. You must first push engine stop(red light), then click fob, wait for toggle to blink, then push toggle(green light) to start engine. All while praying you don't get T-boned during those 4 seconds.

My safety committee said they'd "look into it"

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

GM ring a bell?

wornoutupser

That's exactly my concern. I have been around a long time and heave the skillset to handle something like this. My worry is newer drivers that don't have the experience under their belts to cope with this!