Possible Fatal Flaw in the package cars?

Honestly I did have one problem with a 11700. I was going up a very steep and narrow hill and it stalled.

Couldnt get the fob to work and couldnt stop the truck,from rolling backwards.

Almost crapped my pants.

I ripped the belt loop from my pants,so I could stick the key in the ignition.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Never use the key fob, takes too long. Quicker to use the key. The key fobs seem to work faster in the newer trucks though versus the older ones like I have. Older 700 with automatic and 85mph top speed lol. That old sum bitch will get it lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I thought the fob had somehow killed the engine once then realized I had hit the engine stop button on the dash. That button should be disabled unless in park on the new trucks and clutch and brake in on old trucks.

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
not sure the trainer was serious or not, but we were told DOT regs. forbid retrofitting the package cars...that was the explanation as to why the PC's had lap belts only. that being said how did UPS manage to put all the telematics stuff in them?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Unfortunately this will not be addressed until someone is seriously hurt or dies. Even then if you are dead how are you to explain what went wrong with the ignition as there really is no way to track it.

By The Book

Never use the key fob, takes too long. Quicker to use the key. The key fobs seem to work faster in the newer trucks though versus the older ones like I have. Older 700 with automatic and 85mph top speed lol. That old sum bitch will get it lol.
Keep er under control jump, we want you around!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Precisely why I don't use the key fob because of stories like this and stories from guys at work. Not playing that stupid game, keep it old school and use the key lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Keep er under control jump, we want you around!
I don't roll that fast trust me dude. Usually keep her 70 and below. I did have her up to 85 one time only because the guy who had the truck before me told me that sum bitch would scream, curiousity killed the cat so I had to find out lol.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I thought the fob had somehow killed the engine once then realized I had hit the engine stop button on the dash. That button should be disabled unless in park on the new trucks and clutch and brake in on old trucks.
I have never bumped the button on the dash, but I can't count the number of times I have "butt dialed" the fob and wound up opening the BH door while going down the road. The door needs to be disabled unless the transmission is in park or the engine is off. I mentioned this to a "safety committee" member once, but all I got from him was a blank stare and some mumbling and a bottle of water.

PT Car Washer

not sure the trainer was serious or not, but we were told DOT regs. forbid retrofitting the package cars...that was the explanation as to why the PC's had lap belts only. that being said how did UPS manage to put all the telematics stuff in them?
Some drivers were requesting the new bright LED cargo lights for the back of the older package cars. Shop started installing them but then pulled them all out because it was against UPS policy to alter original equipment.

BrownArmy

The FOB is great, but batteries wear out, etc...

Simple solution:

Along with the key FOB, and the rear door key (for the 'barn-door' 700's):

KEEP THE IGNITION KEY ON THE RING.

In my center they're NAZI about keeping the ignition key in the lock box.

WTF.

Once again, in UPS fashion, let's take a simple scenario and complicate it endlessly.

You mean the truck i drove,with 400k on the odometer and all kinds of wires,sticking out of the fuse box?

Im lucky it even started,not to mention a jacked up suspension and rust everywhere!

Cementups

Box Monkey
This has happened to me. Going down a long stretch of road and went over the overpass about 55mph and it just shut off. Coasted her off to the side and pulled the keys out of the lockbox and started her right up. It was fixed the next day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Some drivers were requesting the new bright LED cargo lights for the back of the older package cars. Shop started installing them but then pulled them all out because it was against UPS policy to alter original equipment.
I wrote up every truck I was in for this issue for awhile. It is not even funny how much better the LED lights light up the back. Not to mention use far less energy.