possibly new hire

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by skidroowe, Dec 30, 2012.

1. skidroowe

skidroowe New Member

hi

I was hired as a seasonal driver for peak, and it looks like they gonna keep me as a driver because my manager said we gonna need to talk with you about a position , i ve been told to count my days and ask for Saturdays air driving so i will have enough days to get in the union, but I dont really understand this union thing. Back in October on the orientation we`ve been told we need to work around 40 days in 80 days to get in the union I dont remember the exact numbers. Anybody know the exact numbers that I need to get in the union? And how many days do i have to get the days I need? What if i cant make it in time because the other drivers said I`m gonna work only a 2-3 days after peak. I`m thinking about this every day cause I really need this job!

2. DS

DS Fenderbender

Welcome to the cafe skid,the truth is,every town every city every hub,has a different contract that
    differ a lot from place to place.My advice is to talk/make friends,with other drivers in your center.
    Get a copy of the contract from your shop steward.Management will seldom give you concrete answers
    to anything you ask them,and asking 5 supervisors the same question will produce 5 different and often
    laughable answers.
    Good luck.

3. skidroowe

skidroowe New Member

I`m on it. A driver said he will introduce me to our local union guy, so he will answer all my questions, but I didn`t see the guy on friday, probably he was off.

4. DS

DS Fenderbender

Good man,talk to the old farts,they will face you in the right direction.

5. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

I would bet that they are going to tell one of two thing 1. they have a position for you but it's a pt time preload or local sort position. 2. We liked what we saw we have a casual drivers spot for you this summer to help cover vacations.

I don't see them keeping you as a FT driver especially when the next couple of weeks is when they start temporary layoffs because of volume dropping out.

However if they do offer you a driver position good luck.

6. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

He built your hopes up and when I talks to you he is going to steer you to a PT position with the promise that you could cover in the summer and at peak until a FT position opens.

Your post makes it appear that he has already hooked you.

7. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Keep working and make sure you are paying dues. This is important. Play the (nice guy) game and if you have enough time in you can grieve it.