Post office cutting down to 5 delivery days ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why should they cut back on staffing? If they need more dough they will just hit the tax payer up for more subsidy. Or they will bump up rates, their rates are super low for a lot of stuff, no wonder they are always needed money. They are DHLing them selves with those low rates.

PS: No disrespect ment to our brothers and sisters that got the shaft from poor management at the yellow and red.

Unlike their private competitors, the USPS needs an act of Congress to raise their rates. I personally see the proposed move to a 5 day work week as a good thing, but hope that they go M-friend rather than M, W-S, which is what is being proposed, to ensure that their commercial customers do not have their service disrupted. The only mail that I receive are those bills which do not offer online service and the junk mail that goes right in to the bin located by the mail box.

One thing that has not been suggested lately but has in the past is the privatization of the post office. This move would streamline the operation and I predict would result in a profit in a relatively short period of time.

kingOFchester

Service levels can remain the same by cutting back on workers. It certainly does not take the same number of people top pickup, sort and deliver 9 BILLION pieces less per year...

APWU's master agreement article 6:
"
NO LAYOFFS OR REDUCTION IN FORCE

This is the same type of wording that has "helped" bring down the auto industry. Postal service can't lay people off. End result........they are unable to adjust their size as the volume falls. One of the better parts of our contract is not having the security of "no layoffs". I know people will disagree with me and say we should have the same in our agreement, but that certainly would not be good. Companies need the flexibility to adjust with the economical climate. Rather be facing a layoff then what the auto industry is looking at happening.
The APWU contract expires 2010......wonder what the new agreement will bring.

tunemixer

That's why they pay us so much an hour to do that easy stuff, I love it...But when you think about all the packages on the truck (or the whole plane) for that saturday, even the letters, They're making a huge profit regardless of how much we make

Isn't tha the idea if ou are in business? To make money? If we didn't you wouldn't even be here now.
I don't care how much money the company makes. As long as I keep getting my pay check every week.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Unlike their private competitors, the USPS needs an act of Congress to raise their rates. I personally see the proposed move to a 5 day work week as a good thing, but hope that they go M-friend rather than M, W-S, which is what is being proposed, to ensure that their commercial customers do not have their service disrupted. The only mail that I receive are those bills which do not offer online service and the junk mail that goes right in to the bin located by the mail box.

One thing that has not been suggested lately but has in the past is the privatization of the post office. This move would streamline the operation and I predict would result in a profit in a relatively short period of time.

You're kidding right? If the post office went private, they would raise their rates, making it impossible for companies to advertise through mailers. I don't know about you guys but I like my bogo coupons. They could not survive without the subsidies they get from the government. I don't want the P.O. to go private. A lot of people use the p.o. more than you'd think and it would absolutely kill a lot of businesses. It would be nice if we could be more competitive, but let's be realistic, we're up against government subsidies. We're never going to be competitive with them. I agree with the shorter work week, but make it M-friend. No one cares about getting their mail on Saturday. I'm used to most government type places being closed on Saturday anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I'm not kidding. Privatization would be the best thing to happen to the post office IMO. They would then be able to set their rates as they wish, streamline operations, and return the post office to profitability. Bulk mail would have it's own, most likely reduced, rate.

kingOFchester

No, I'm not kidding. Privatization would be the best thing to happen to the post office IMO. They would then be able to set their rates as they wish, streamline operations, and return the post office to profitability. Bulk mail would have it's own, most likely reduced, rate.

Privatization of any government group/organization/so forth would be the best thing. Once the weasels get in on it, all hell breaks loose. Can't wait to see how the governement insurance works out.......oh and now running our banks........lord help us.
IMNSHO

UPSNewbie

My mom works for a small local bank. She said if they take away a tuesday, it would hurt. USPS is used more widely than people think.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Privatization of the US Post Office and forget about stamps. You will be charged a premium to get your mail delivered. Most disagree when people say USPS should go private because its one of the few "bargains" we take for granted.

If there is privatization, it should be social security. I would pay a premium every month to ensure that SS would be there when I retire. When you hear news of states being broke trying to fund unemployment and borrowing from the government, you wonder at some point where these assets are being tapped from.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I disagree myself, but lets not even get into this. Having a national mail service was legislated, so if the post office is to be privatized, it's going to have to be legislated out.

Don't worry about the post office being privatized anytime in the next four years. Obama wants MORE control over our daily lives, not less.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Yeah all these privatized companies that we are bailing out, because they were run poorly. I don't wish to add the USPS to that list, thanks. Privatizing works at first, but then usually falls apart down the road when some greedy executives get in there and milk the cash cow dry. :knockedout: