Post Office Deliveries

AKCoverMan

But why? What's the purpose of it?
In theory it's possible to offer this lower slower service options because of the reduced cost of moving the package via the UPS system.

Let's face it, a significant portion of the cost in moving a package is the cost of the delivery by you and me.

The idea is move the package thru our distribution system to the destination center then consolidate all these stops into one or two post office stops. We pay the po a lower fee to do the "final mile" delivery than they figure they would spend on having you and I do the delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the main differences between SmartPost and SurePost is FedEx feeders deliver directly to USPS Processing Centers. Those packages never enter the FedEx delivery system.

iowa boy

I don't think ups abuses surepost as much as the shippers do. Do I believe ups needs to get a better handle on surepost and kick more of it out to the drivers? Yes I do.

Had 3 tires on Thursday that I delivered to a retirement home for one of the maintenance guys that works there and they had the surepost label on them. Delivered the fourth tire on Friday and it was sent UPS.

Not trying to put down the USPS, but I would like to see a mail carrier try and fit 3 tires in one of their old jeeps, then have to actually dig them out and deliver them to the consignee.

By The Book

Has anyone taken the time explain the how/why Of sure post even exists ? Who benefits from it etc ? If someone does take the time to explain it quote me so I don't miss it.
As stated earlier fed x started their version of it and ups followed suit with their version of it. We either got in the game or lost all the packages to fed x. The customer benefits in paying less in shipping costs, but loses our every package every day service delivery gaurantee as these are delivered basically whenever by the post office. The intent of the sure post was so we would deliver those last mile deliveries to the post office. Fast forward to today and it is being abused because of greed. My opinion is its subcontracting and the union needs to enforce the darn language it just negotiated!

By The Book

That's what I don't understand. Why bag them at all in the first place?
We used to scan every package and even dumped bags at the post office to scan them. More packages scanned quickly means more bonus right? Now they label the bags and you get 1 piece per bag., and the loose ones.

hardcharger

ThiS might be off topic but I don't know how to start a new topic. I have a customer wanting to ship wine to her son on a base but he says they have to pick up packages at the base post office. It's been years since I was in so I can't remember. If wine is shipped to a base how and where is it delivered and signed for?? So any drivers that deliver to a base and might know please let me know. Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Packages addressed to the base post office will be delivered to and signed for by personnel assigned to the base post office. Deliveries to base housing are delivered as addressed.