Post office???

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In it's infancy it was a win/win in rural areas, where we did indeed circumvent excess miles for individual packages.
Today's reality is that we are now giving them many packages that we are driving right by during the course of the day in urban settings.
I have a bid route within a major big city.
I routinely deliver many basic packages to the Post Office that are in my trace.
Many to addresses I will deliver that same day.
It's the nature of the business.
We all know the regular customers with online, QVC,HSN, catalogue shopping compulsion problems.
Those are packages we are unnecessarily losing.
It was a good idea in extended areas that has been taken one step to far in true UPS fashion.

UPS is not losing them.
UPSers picks them up.
UPSers sorts them in at least two hub/local sorts.
UPSers preloads them
UPSers delivers them to the USPS

If UPS did not offer this service, the USPS or FedEx would get them all.

Your ad hoc observations mean nothing except that there are apparent exceptions within a systemic process ... there is probably no system ever developed that does not have these small insignificant exceptions in them.
Furthermore, there is time associated with the additional stops if the driver had to deliver at the residence ... those minutes are saved.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
UPS is not losing them.
UPSers picks them up.
UPSers sorts them in at least two hub/local sorts.
UPSers preloads them
UPSers delivers them to the USPS

If UPS did not offer this service, the USPS or FedEx would get them all.

Your ad hoc observations mean nothing except that there are apparent exceptions within a systemic process ... there is probably no system ever developed that does not have these small insignificant exceptions in them.
Furthermore, there is time associated with the additional stops if the driver had to deliver at the residence ... those minutes are saved.

Yet you guys still want sales leads.
This isn't extra volume being secured that would otherwise be delivered by the competition.
I've watched company after company that we used to deliver divert their packages to this system.
One major clothing catalogue shipper with multiple brands (all in gray bags), JCP, General Nutrition to name a few.
All companies that we used to deliver door to door.
Now the USPS gets a piece instead of us taking the whole nut.
I dropped off a package yesterday that literally went directly across the street from the post office.
Today 4 of the 6 packages going to the post office will be delivered to the same house tomorrow by Mr. Mailman that I'm delivering to today.
This system should and could be zip code specific, allowing us to keep the volume in these dense urban areas without the customer incurring a higher price.
The package is in our system, why not keep the ones that make sense.
I believe it could have something to do with not having to hire more drivers in the face of increased volume and record profits.
We make alot more than ad hoc observation from the seat of our package car.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This isn't extra volume being secured that would otherwise be delivered by the competition.
I've watched company after company that we used to deliver divert their packages to this system.
One major clothing catalogue shipper with multiple brands (all in gray bags), JCP, General Nutrition to name a few.
I dropped off a package yesterday that literally went directly across the street from the post office.
Today 4 of the 6 packages going to the post office will be delivered to the same house tomorrow by Mr. Mailman that I'm delivering to today.
This system should and could be zip code specific, allowing us to keep the volume in these dense urban areas without the customer incurring a higher price.
I believe it could have something to do with not having to hire more drivers in the face of increased volume and record profits.

You can believe what you want to believe ... I made one pass to educate you in case you had not seen the multitude of post on this.
And yes you are right - LBJ had JFK assassinated.

pretzel_man

It has to do with what customers are willing to pay.....

Think about this objectively....

Why would UPS give packages away to the P.O.? We have to pay them....

Why would UPS charge less for these packages? UPS would like the profit...

The reason is that these shippers want to pay less. They have choices. They want a lesser service for a lesser cost.

FedEx pays their ground drivers about 1/2 of what UPS pays. This is a matter of necessity.

worldwide

Heard from one of my stops today, he saw on the news that UPS and Fedex are bidding on taking over the Post Office. Apparently the UPS bid was more and Fedex would not beat it. Not sure if and when this would happen, but has anyone heard this. I know UPS did a study a few years back and could actually make it so a letter would only cost 11 cents to mail. I hope it happens soon, even though we will make it more productive than the post office, a letter weighs a hell of a lot less than anything i deliver now.

How much credibility do you put into something that you heard from someone at your stop that he saw on the news yet no news of this exists anywhere on line? If this person saw this on the news, don't you think it wouldf be online somewhere?

" I know UPS did a study a few years back"

How do you know this for a fact? Did you see the study? Were you part of it?

worldwide

Only thing I could find on it with a quick search, but at about 1:20 they state the deal is off.

[video=youtube;KC9c-QLEi44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9c-QLEi44[/video]

P.S. Posted to Youtube on December 28, 2010 so it can't be much older than that.

This is not news--it is one person's opinion/wish that this happen, predicting UPS bids $100 billion for what he calls the "US Post Office." Slow day in the land of "news."
news

curiousbrain

This is not news--it is one person's opinion/wish that this happen, predicting UPS bids $100 billion for what he calls the "US Post Office." Slow day in the land of "news."
news

Considering that the Post Office is probably not for sale, it's not a concern as far as I know - can independent agencies be sold? It would be the equivalent of selling the CIA.

Last edited by a moderator:

klein

Für Meno :)
Maybe the US postoffice can learn some things from us ?

The Canada Post Group:

• Canada Post recorded its 15th consecutive year of profitability despite sustaining one of the most challenging years in its history.
  • The profit was due to two factors: an unplanned, non-cash reduction in employee future benefits expense, and stringent cost cutting efforts across the Corporation.
  • Volumes in the core Canada Post segment dropped by almost 8% in 2009, wiping out close to five years of growth.
  • Volumes in our transaction mail business continue to decline: transaction mail volume per address declined for the fourth straight year, and the rate of decline also increased for the fourth straight year.
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/corporate/annualreport.jsf

rod

Retired 22 years
C'mon More, you know better then that.
It's thanks to e-mails, texting, and internet banking. Like all over the world.

Also I read that Facebook killed Christmas cards this year. Since we know what our friends are doing everyday (including taking a poop) there is no need to send them an annual Christmas card.

pretzel_man

I wonder how rumors like this start. I'm sure UPS and FedEx are both negotiating with the USPS. We move each other's merchandise and expanding or continuing that is always being discussed.

As far as I know, there is a "postal clause" in the US constitution (Ariticle I, Section 8, Clause 7). It doesn't seem like anyone could buy the USPS without changing the constitution. If UPS couldn't even get the RLA passed, how was the constitution going to get altered.

It was fun listening though...

moreluck

golden ticket member
News is news and opinion is opinion. Why can't people tell the difference? (gee, this wasn't cut & pasted and the thought is original, so a source for the quote is not necessary.)

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Well I for one would not want to do the mailman's job. Think about it, we have freedom of at least a few miles if not more. The poor mailman is sequestered to such a small area. I would get claustrophobic.