Post Peak Peak

ymelord

Take a bible to your hearing, and ask them to show you where in the bible it says poor planning is an act of god. "amen"

tourists24

There is a elderly couple on my rte. The wife is always ordering from HSN well every time I go there I grab the newspaper off the driveway hand them the Pkg and the newspaper. Well yesterday I went there and the guy Roy ask me for the phone number for UPS so he could give me a compliment. It should go over pretty good when the center manager hears that I wait for them to answer the door and hand them the newspaper.
. :happy-very:
yep Overboard,,, you're stealin time

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We have all our on roads on road helping any way they can, drivers on the preload, full time DMS sups splitting the belt, every air driver on the road and every preloader offered the oppurtunity to be a helper.

I don't see a problem with all this as long as every available hourly is utilized.

My problem comes with what are the helpers paid. It should be starting driver rate in my opinion. We have yet to see as those pay checks.have yet to roll out. I am not a steward but I will be backing these part timers when they are paid seasonal helper pay outside of season.

money in someones pocket thats where the agreement came from!!! (No money for you)....or the guy on the bottom of the list....THATS FOR SURE... Question......... Where is our union? answer In U.P.S BACK POCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just finished reading "The Rise and Fall of the Cleveland Mafia". I think you should read that book to understand whose back pocket the union is really in and what the central states pension fund was really used for!

brownboxman

Going back to the original post, how many years does UPS need to prepare for this phenomenom. Used to be the layoffs began after peak and there were fluctuations, now there is just a big January. The "gee we didnt know it was going to be like this" dont cut it anymore. Just tired of operations being left out to hang with this "New" January peak. Develope a plan for it for goodness sake!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
where in the contract does it allow for anything more than they are already doing? no seasonal workers allowed after Dec 31 and vacations start Jan 1. what can you do?

Hroller

I guess as a seasonal worker myself, how long can they keep me on as seasonal and not give me a permanent position. As it stands I now work 6 months out of the year. Now with January peak driving, I'll be working 7 months a year at UPS!

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept me as a seasonal "on call" driver!

happybob

Feeders
But if all drivers are working what is the big deal about using helpers?

The BIG deal! Delivery work is full time work. Put more full time jobs in, pay the proper rate of pay for the work being performed. Sounds like you are proposing to allow the company to violate the contract whenever they want. A very slippery slope indeed!

happybob

Feeders
We have all our on roads on road helping any way they can, drivers on the preload, full time DMS sups splitting the belt, every air driver on the road and every preloader offered the oppurtunity to be a helper.

I don't see a problem with all this as long as every available hourly is utilized.

My problem comes with what are the helpers paid. It should be starting driver rate in my opinion. We have yet to see as those pay checks.have yet to roll out. I am not a steward but I will be backing these part timers when they are paid seasonal helper pay outside of season.
That is your work the helpers are doing. They should, and I believe after a grievance is filed, be payed the driver premium rate of pay. If that helper isn't on your car, it would take you overtime hours to fget the packages delivered, so why shouldn't he get paid that rate? In fact, read your contract, and if the language states helpers are to be used from the day after thanksgiving, to xmas day, then he/she shouldn't be on your car. The last time I filed a grivance for that, 2001, they had to pay me premium pay for all hours worked by the helper, since he was taking my premium pay from me. Make the company pay for the violations going on right now, or it will continue in that form and as many others they are allowed to get away with. Stand up for what is contractually yours.

guinness413

..our center has run with about 25 helpers a day after the 1st..this is a violation..at about 6 hours per driver per day....our Steward is filing..it will be denied..it will go to arbitration and we will get paid..

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have been shocked over Service reaching an all time low in our center. Our air was late y/day not due to Weather or Mechanical Failure ,but 'Unforseen Volume' Our air truck usually arrives 715-730 but yesterday it didnt get to the center until 815. I counted around 30 Early AM's that the center manager said to 'work into the load' and most drivers had several late NDA due to a late departure from the center( I asked the evening OMS last nite and she said at least 50 NDA were late)
We were told 3 trailers were sitting on the property unprocessed,and it would be at least a week until it was Business as Usual
We were told FEDEX is having teh same problems,as if that made things better

There is a elderly couple on my rte. The wife is always ordering from HSN well every time I go there I grab the newspaper off the driveway hand them the Pkg and the newspaper. Well yesterday I went there and the guy Roy ask me for the phone number for UPS so he could give me a compliment. It should go over pretty good when the center manager hears that I wait for them to answer the door and hand them the newspaper.
. :happy-very:
i used to do this a lot but any extra bending down kinda hurts depending on the day.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I despise OT. Have a family I would rather spend time with.

I have maxed out hours EVERY day this past week even with a helper. So the work would not have gotten done in one day. I WILL ensure someone files on behalf of these helpers for starting drivers rate at the MINIMUM. I do stand up for what is contractually mine i just dont go out of my way to contractually screw the company i work for. You seem to have attacked my post by reiterating my own points. Bravo sir.