Post your most ridiculous customer complaints

F

Flak Catcher

I took a call from a rabidly angry man who called the UPS customer service number, screaming that the UPS driver had thrown a package over his back fence and right through his plate glass window. After apologizing and listening to him rant and rave for several minutes, he calmed down enough so that I was finally able to ask him for the tracking number off the label so that I could file the complaint he was demanding to have filed. About a minute later he came back to the phone, quietly said, "Never mind, it's a Fedex package" and hung up without another word.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Several years ago we had a bad ice storm right before Christmas. We were all backed up and they finally decided to unload all the trailers. We were told to deliver what we could. I wound up delivering 301 stops that day and worked until about 1 A.M. Since it was so late I quit ringing doorbells and knocking about 8 pm. I had a woman call in a complaint that the box of fruit I left at her door had frozen and was ruined. I told the center manager that her fruit was frozen way before it ever hit her doorstep since it never got out of the teens temp wise that day. We both had a good laugh over that one. He was sweating me making it back in that night. I was about 10 minutes from violating.

F

Flak Catcher

Thanks, over9five, that's an especially memorable story for me. I could tell many similar ones about consignees who call complaining that there is a problem with their UPS shipment, that they'll never use UPS again, that they plan to sue UPS and put UPS out of business, etc., then, when asked for the tracking number, they give a USPS tracking number.

It's a real pleasure to ask: "Does the label say UPS or USPS", knowing the answer before I ask the question. Then I apologize for being unable to assist them with information on a another carrier's shipment, thank them for calling UPS and ask them to call again any time we can be of service.

Something that strikes me as positive about these calls is that the callers are apparently automatically thinking "UPS" when they think of "package delivery". If they are unhappy with service provided by the "other guys", being treated courteously when they call UPS in error seems to put a whole new light on UPS in the caller's mind. If calls like that are handled well, then, ideally, the caller will want to have their packages shipped via UPS in the future.

Incidentally, UPS customer service representatives are instructed to NEVER speak negatively of other package carriers as it is against UPS policy. Instead, we are taught to treat it as an opportunity to talk positively about UPS service, rather than to agree or disagree with the other person's complaints about the other carrier.

Never "badmouthing the competition" is one of the many ways in which the corporate integrity of UPS is reflected in the manner in which UPS customer service reps. are trained to handle calls.

T

Tater

I delivered some of those omaha steaks to a customer's door step the other day....I sat them down, knocked on the door, and got back in the truck. The man hollered at me asking me if I was supposed to just leave those and knock. I explained to him that our DIAD prompts us to leave those anywhere. He said what if him and his wife were gone for 3-4 hours and they just sat outside. During this whole week our heat index has been at 110, so I asked him if he prefer me to put it back in my truck.....that would have been just 130 degrees!

brown67

Had a customer get upset that a package was addressed to a worker that no longer worked there. She asked me to tell the shipper that this employee no longer worked there. I looked at the box and it was from Wisconsin. I said "I don't get to Wisconsin much, maybe you should call them." What am I Santa Claus.:w00t:

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
A driver at my centre got this the other day. 1st delivery attempt with an adult sig. req. package, no one home so she left a del. notice on the window of the inner front door. Second del. attempt, no one home. Left a second del. notice next to the notice from the day before. 3rd attempt, no one home. Two del. notices still on the window. The house was on a corner facing a busy street so she peeled those two notices off the window and, upon further exploration of the property, finally located the mailbox around the side of the house. So she wrote a third notice and left all three in the mailbox.

Customer called in to complain that she left all three notices on the same day.

Big Babooba

I had a little old lady complain to me about her previous day's delivery from QVC. She accused me of trying on her dress! I told her that it was impossible because I was off the day before. Then she blamed the cover driver(we are both over six feet and 240 lbs). I told her that I doubted it because he liked short black lace dresses and stiletto heels and that she should ask her husband. Back at the barn I had a good laugh with my cover driverwho said,"You forgot about the garter belt and fishnet stockings.".

dudebro

Peak of '02, customer goes nuts with me on the phone. Dell computer shipment tracks as delivered 3 weeks ago but we never got it. Driver is one of my best ones. I send the message. Get back "tell them to check on their back deck in front of the sliding glass door." I call the customer. "Oh. Here it is." You never looked out the back door??? This was before the age of flatscreens, the monitor was HUGE. Luckily we had been having a drought that winter, no rain or snow...
P.S. What a stud driver. In the middle of a route with a brainless helper and 300 stops, he remembers a shipment to a residence from 3 weeks ago...

hitsomebody

That guy that wears brown
Peak of '02, customer goes nuts with me on the phone. Dell computer shipment tracks as delivered 3 weeks ago but we never got it. Driver is one of my best ones. I send the message. Get back "tell them to check on their back deck in front of the sliding glass door." I call the customer. "Oh. Here it is." You never looked out the back door??? This was before the age of flatscreens, the monitor was HUGE. Luckily we had been having a drought that winter, no rain or snow...
P.S. What a stud driver. In the middle of a route with a brainless helper and 300 stops, he remembers a shipment to a residence from 3 weeks ago...

He DR'ed a DELL?

Had a rudeness complaint once saying that I rang the bell and when they opened the door I was driving off.