Post your unattempted counts.

!Retired!

You spent 500 bones on a paintball gun?
That's the used price. You don't want to know what some of the kids these days pay for a new one just to have the 'newest and best'. It's like Apple with the Iphone....new model every 6 months and people line up to pay $500 for it. I used to play tournaments when I lived down south.
5 1/2 hour sort today! Left the bldg at 11:00. At 15:00 received a message to stop delivering & come back, they needed my truck. There seems to be no plan to fix this, the same thing keeps happening every day.
They call back the routes closest to the station for their trucks over here, whether their done or not. Sometimes, if there's a rental available, they'll have them switch trucks and go back out. But, most times, they get to go home and dinner with their wife and kids.

PublicWifi

My terminal held everyone for an extra 1.5 hours yesterday. I'm averaging 140 a day now, no thanks to the 10-15 HD packages on my truck. My local / fellow HD driver generally has less stops then I do. What a joke.

bbsam

Staff member
Yep. Happening everywhere. Not enough trucks or PowerPads to go around. I guess the freight will deliver itself.
what I don't get is why people want to say this spells doom for Fedex. Same thing happening at UPS but nobody's screaming that the sky's falling there.

TUT

Just want to send a Thank You out to Fedex and Amazon. Ordered a trivial $15 item from Amazon on Thursday, just needs to be delivered by Christmas. Now as a Prime member I get shipping for free as we all know. In this case 2 Day, but it's not just standard 2-Day, they send it Friday (Ordered Thursday) Priority Overnight Saturday. List rate about $80 worth of shipping charges for this 2 LB pkg, even if they have 90% discounts on everything including Sat Delivery charge that is still $8 worth of shipping on a $15 item, which would be lucky to have $1's worth of profit.

I do wonder what the long-term plan is and if the carriers have a part of that plan? That is just crazy and I wouldn't even expect that kind of service. This should have been a Tuesday delivery imo. Just sayin...

Express Courier

Just want to send a Thank You out to Fedex and Amazon. Ordered a trivial $15 item from Amazon on Thursday, just needs to be delivered by Christmas. Now as a Prime member I get shipping for free as we all know. In this case 2 Day, but it's not just standard 2-Day, they send it Friday (Ordered Thursday) Priority Overnight Saturday. List rate about $80 worth of shipping charges for this 2 LB pkg, even if they have 90% discounts on everything including Sat Delivery charge that is still $8 worth of shipping on a $15 item, which would be lucky to have $1's worth of profit.

I do wonder what the long-term plan is and if the carriers have a part of that plan? That is just crazy and I wouldn't even expect that kind of service. This should have been a Tuesday delivery imo. Just sayin...
We were delivering monday and tuesday stuff today (saturday) to stay one step ahead of things, I guess. We were doing that most of last week too.

El Morado Diablo

In reality the math is even worse than that right now. FedEx is throwing a lot of OT hours into those Saturday deliveries. On top of that we are taking a lot of packages for a ride with business addresses that we know are likely to be closed. I don't mind, I'm game if they want to pay me OT to tag a lot of doors.

hypo hanna

what I don't get is why people want to say this spells doom for Fedex. Same thing happening at UPS but nobody's screaming that the sky's falling there.
I'm not saying its "doom" but its no way to run a company that promises a high degree of service to its customers. Upper mgmt continues to whine about how we need to do more for the customer buts does absolutely nothing to support that effort. Then when it alls goes to crap, and we aren't showing enough profit, they blame the front line employee.

TUT

We were delivering monday and tuesday stuff today (saturday) to stay one step ahead of things, I guess. We were doing that most of last week too.

Got it, but imo you would have delivered this on Sat 52 weeks per year since it was labelled as such. It wasn't 2 Day straight up and you delivered it Saturday because it fits your model best this time of year. I just get surprised when I see things like this and wonder "my God what they must be paying?" as I'm a distant competitor of sorts to Amazon, I'm a paying shipping company with negotiated rates between the carriers to.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm not saying its "doom" but its no way to run a company that promises a high degree of service to its customers. Upper mgmt continues to whine about how we need to do more for the customer buts does absolutely nothing to support that effort.
Three words: management lip service.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No, the same thing isn't happening at UPS. Yes, they are slammed, but they have an actual plan. They hire runners, temp employees, and do it right. FedEx Express? Their "plan" is to just have each of do more, in less time. What kind of freaking plan is that?

bbsam

Staff member
No, the same thing isn't happening at UPS. Yes, they are slammed, but they have an actual plan. They hire runners, temp employees, and do it right. FedEx Express? Their "plan" is to just have each of do more, in less time. What kind of freaking plan is that?
Plan or no plan, UPS is failing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Plan or no plan, UPS is failing.

I think not. In the sense that they are overwhelmed with volume, you are correct, but they have an actual aggressive plan to handle the additional volume, which means they are procative, not reactive like FedEx. That is a world of difference. I have worked Peak at UPS, and they generally have their :censored2: totally together, Driver temps, feeder temps, runners, and rentals are all in-place before it hits panic mode. Unlike FedEx, because UPS has an actual real plan, Brown deals with it a whole lot better overall.

The "plan" at FedEx is no plan at all.

Maui

I once received a 50+ pound package 2nd day Saturday free with prime. No way they made any money on it. I'm guessing though that Amazon is so powerful the carriers can not limit the size beyond the standard terms for fear of losing even a decent percentage of the business.

FedEx kills UPS with regards to Saturday service offerings. They believe it can be leveraged to gain a larger share from Amazon. Long-term I believe they will leverage HD with Sat as a regular work day and an ever increasing fulfillment footprint for Amazon. When I left in 2012 Amazon was not yet happy with the service provided by Ground/HD.

!Retired!

I have worked Peak at UPS, and they generally have their :censored2: totally together, Driver temps, feeder temps, runners, and rentals are all in-place before it hits panic mode. Unlike FedEx, because UPS has an actual real plan, Brown deals with it a whole lot better overall.

The "plan" at FedEx is no plan at all.
You worked there how long ago? Ask the UPS drivers if their going as smooth as you think they are and see what answer you get.

MAKAVELI

You worked there how long ago? Ask the UPS drivers if their going as smooth as you think they are and see what answer you get.

I do scratch my head sometimes at some of the things UPS has done over the years during peak. Such as PODS and golf carts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This driver will tell you that up to this point Peak has been very smooth in my center. Friday was the first day that we rolled a (late) trailer for tomorrow----250 stops for the center----beyond that everything that has come in has been put out for delivery. There was an issue last weekend with a backlog of loads in both Albany (30) and Syracuse (50) but those loads have all been processed.

I do scratch my head sometimes at some of the things UPS has done over the years during peak. Such as PODS and golf carts.

PODS and golf carts in tight residential subdivisions makes a lot of sense. Residentials are the easiest thing that we do so why not drop off 50-100 stops for the helper to run off.

MAKAVELI

This driver will tell you that up to this point Peak has been very smooth in my center. Friday was the first day that we rolled a (late) trailer for tomorrow----250 stops for the center----beyond that everything that has come in has been put out for delivery. There was an issue last weekend with a backlog of loads in both Albany (30) and Syracuse (50) but those loads have all been processed.

PODS and golf carts in tight residential subdivisions makes a lot of sense. Residentials are the easiest thing that we do so why not drop off 50-100 stops for the helper to run off.
Is that why they don't do it in my area anymore? Because it made so much sense? How much does it cost to rent a PODS, golf cart, which to legally to drive on public roads have to have working turn, brake , signal, and headlights? Add in the cost to put a seasonal helper who is not as fast and efficient as a regular driver and countless trips back and forth the container. Yea that makes a whole lot of sense. Not.