Posting on the Brown Cafe

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am posting to this sub-forum because it is titled: Life after Brown sub-titled: What you do in your life outside of UPS.

Therefore I think it is the appropriate forum to place this post.

To all,

It is obvious that one of the many things I do in my life outside of UPS is post discussion threads and interact here on the Brown Café.

I tend to be a binge poster but it varies as the schedule in my life dictates.

One of the main reasons I come to the BC is to talk about work issues here because I generally never talk about work with my family and the job doesn't provide the forum to discuss issues that is provided here.

That's it.

I don't come here for comic relief, although it is sometimes provided.

I don't come here to verbally joust with some malcontents, although the opportunity is often provided.

I don't come here to be harassed, intimidated, or bullied, although some individuals will try to do this.

I don't come here intending to insult people although sometimes I do, for that I am truly sorry.

The very topics that I choose insult my own conscience therefore I am sure that they insult the conscience of others. They are chosen to challenge not to insult.

I don't come here to judge you. There is only one true judge of mankind and I am not Him.

You may view me as a Troll, that is your choice.

I will let my posting history, the quality of the discussions that I have started and participated in, the issues that I have openly addressed in this forum and on my blog, and my longevity in this community to be testimony against these accusations.

I have come to the conclusion that I must make a small change in how I respond to some of the participants in some of the discussion threads that I start.

I wanted to inform the entire BC community of my intentions prior to taking action so that when you notice the change you will already know the reasons and the motives for the change.

I have noticed probably since my arrival here at the BC in 2009 that my posts draw a lot of useless, attacking, bullying, intimidating replies and I have been long suffering in trying to respond to most replies on threads that I have started.

This takes a lot of time and I have determined that it is really not a value-added policy for responding to posts.

It is time intensive and honestly probably a waste of time.

I want to streamline discussion threads that I begin.

As of today I will be self moderating my discussion threads and future discussion threads by using the ignore list feature of this site.

I have often encouraged those that are troubled by my posts to use the ignore list so now I will be trying it out for myself.

Keep in mind; I am only doing this to decrease the noise, useless off topic comments, attacks, rude and offensive responses in discussion threads that I start so as to decrease the amount of time I have to spend reading and responding to them on the BC.

I will not be ignoring everyone who posts in arguably inappropriate ways, I will only be ignoring the most frequent and troublesome posters, as I see fit.

The ones who are clearly just trying to disrupt and bog down the discussion, increasing the time that I need to spend responding will be the first to go.

Some of you might be saying if I ignore all the attackers and inappropriate posts then I won't be responding to anybody and you know, with this statement you may be right

Some of my discussions actually seem to only get 1 or 2 legitimate responses, that is true.

If this is the case, then my goal of decreasing the amount of time having to spend on the BC responding to useless responses will have been achieved.

Sincerely,
I

Last edited:
I posted this in another I thread. I believe my I theory is becoming fact.

"I would bust Integrity's chops for starting another one of his threads but I'm realizing they're just cries for help and attention."

Moreluck has seniority but add me also.

over9five

Staff member
I agree that the "ignore" function can be very useful, and we have advocated its use to many members.
I don't like the insults, I don't like when people misspell swears to get by the filters Cheryl has to prevent swears on her site. I don't like trolls, especially those with multiple screen names talking to "each other".

Off topic posts cannot REALLY be prevented, let's face it, EVERY thread goes off topic - it's just the nature of internet forums. MYSELF, I don't mind off topic posts cuz generally someone says something hilarious or waaaayyyy out there. It's easy enough to breeze thru them if you don't want to read them.

That's why I come to Brown Cafe. For the FUN. I had forgotten that for some time....
NOW, you wanna find Ovah? Don't look in the cesspool of Union Issues or Current Events (well, maybe the Guns thread!). I will only make limited forays to those forums. Maybe.

I got nothing against Integrity's threads. He's ALWAYS polite and never violates the Terms of Service. I don't like a lot of the hate and insults I see in his threads. It's real easy to skip his threads if you don't like him. See a thread that he started? You don't HAVE to read it. Integrity does not fit my definition of a troll.

Whatever. He may never even see this if I'm the first he put on "ignore"!

S

serenity now

Couldn't read your post that started this thread because you have been on my ignore list for weeks.
You, and you ain't even know it; that's some fine company you keep.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I agree that the "ignore" function can be very useful, and we have advocated its use to many members.
I don't like the insults, I don't like when people misspell swears to get by the filters Cheryl has to prevent swears on her site. I don't like trolls, especially those with multiple screen names talking to "each other".

Off topic posts cannot REALLY be prevented, let's face it, EVERY thread goes off topic - it's just the nature of internet forums. MYSELF, I don't mind off topic posts cuz generally someone says something hilarious or waaaayyyy out there. It's easy enough to breeze thru them if you don't want to read them.

That's why I come to Brown Cafe. For the FUN. I had forgotten that for some time....
NOW, you wanna find Ovah? Don't look in the cesspool of Union Issues or Current Events (well, maybe the Guns thread!). I will only make limited forays to those forums. Maybe.

I got nothing against Integrity's threads. He's ALWAYS polite and never violates the Terms of Service. I don't like a lot of the hate and insults I see in his threads. It's real easy to skip his threads if you don't like him. See a thread that he started? You don't HAVE to read it. Integrity does not fit my definition of a troll.

Whatever. He may never even see this if I'm the first he put on "ignore"!
over9five,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

I have always appreciated your contributions to the BC.

Sincerely,
I

I do think that I has brought up topics worthy of discussion.
BUT, it's when someone replies they get the 20 personal questions from him without equal input.

BUT, he brings up a topic then stands on the sidelines as now two differing individuals start an argument.

BUT, he will bring up a topic about how something should be done about X but will not be the one doing anything.

BUT, he will bring up a topic and then tell those not of equal view they are wrong and need to change.

I didn't dislike I at first but he's worn me down and I have little patience past the first post of his thread when he goes into the same scripted rhetoric. He's the Klein of topical discussions.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
The ignore function is for people who get butt hurt by anonymous people on the internet. I could care less about what other people on the internet say to and about me.

If I ignored everyone who has said something that would have offended me if i gave a crap, I would be on brown cafe with the news bot because we all have been crappy about one topic or another.

90 percent of what I posts is legit good converation topics.

And to make a long story short (too late) one by one you all arrived. . . .wait I mean, if you respond to threads that people who you have on ignore start than you need to zip up your fly because you are "trolling"

S

serenity now

I don't know. It just seems odd that you would respond to a person you have on "ignore" in a thread posted by that person.

What exactly is odd?

Is it 2 standard deviations from the norm or perhaps 3?

Have I derailed this vitally important thread?
I do apologize.

over9five

Staff member
What exactly is odd?

I do apologize.
No, no, no! As I said, ALL threads get de-railed.
Just trying to understand.

Nothing to see here, I'll move along...

What exactly is odd?

I do apologize.
I think Over 9.5. was trying to get at is................................................................................If you put him on the ignore list, you wouldnt see his posts. Thats why he is puzzled that you replied to him!]

Integrity

Binge Poster
The ignore function is for people who get butt hurt by anonymous people on the internet. I could care less about what other people on the internet say to and about me.

If I ignored everyone who has said something that would have offended me if i gave a crap, I would be on brown cafe with the news bot because we all have been crappy about one topic or another.

90 percent of what I posts is legit good converation topics.

And to make a long story short (too late) one by one you all arrived. . . .wait I mean, if you respond to threads that people who you have on ignore start than you need to zip up your fly because you are "trolling"
Shifting Contents,

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,
I

moreluck

golden ticket member
What exactly is odd?

I do apologize.[/QUOTE I think Over 9.5. was trying to get at is................................................................................If you put him on the ignore list, you wouldnt see his posts. Thats why he is puzzled that you replied to him!]
I think I remember when I had somebody (Dave) on ignore........I got notified that my ignoree had posted something.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The IGNORE feature does not hide the quoted post when someone not on ignore replies to an ignored member.
You know Gumby is going to reply to everyone so you should probably start with him. :wink2: