Potential FedEx Courier,I was offered a position today.

Jgd131

Red as in Ky, northern Ky to be exact. The overtime sounds tempting. My wife has a good job at our local hospital, I also have a 2 year old son. I'm looking for a long term career that has a good work/life balance. Maybe I am being a little impatient and that's the reason I'm considering the jump.

dezguy

Red as in Ky, northern Ky to be exact. The overtime sounds tempting. My wife has a good job at our local hospital, I also have a 2 year old son. I'm looking for a long term career that has a good work/life balance. Maybe I am being a little impatient and that's the reason I'm considering the jump.
Just a tip, don't reveal too much personal info here. Management monitors this site.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It's been at least 15 years since I got a Christmas turkey from Generalissimo Frederico.....but that's okay, he hasn't missed a single year giving me the shaft.

overflowed

I was told to come here for advice. Hello, I was offered a courier position with FedEx Express today. I was offered a starting rate of $16.00 per hour and 4, 10 hour shifts. I will not have my own route. A little background information: I have been a state employee for a year now who makes $14.00 per hour with free insurance besides eye and dental. I have a Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety as well as a minor in Business Admin. Should I accept the position? How is the insurance? I hear raises are few and far between. Thanks.

Justin
Here's my advice. My father when he found out I was smoking once told me this. " Son don't start, a lot of people are trying desperately to quit."
Take this as you will.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I was told to come here for advice. Hello, I was offered a courier position with FedEx Express today. I was offered a starting rate of $16.00 per hour and 4, 10 hour shifts. I will not have my own route. A little background information: I have been a state employee for a year now who makes $14.00 per hour with free insurance besides eye and dental. I have a Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety as well as a minor in Business Admin. Should I accept the position? How is the insurance? I hear raises are few and far between. Thanks.

Justin

You will be a float, or more likely, a swing. Both are death for new couriers. They are currently desperate for people, which should tell you all you need to know. But if you can't figure it out, employees are quitting left and right due to low pay, glacial pay progression, no retirement benefits, and horrible, expensive insurance. The insurance is basically worthless, your stress level will be through the roof, and you'll be sorry if you quit your present job for one at FedEx.

Listen to me. DO NOT work for FedEx...you will regret it. Listen to what people are telling you. FedEx sucks!

thedownhillEXPRESS

Ok,I'll give you some honest advice to ponder.
If your wife has a stable career and possibly equal or better benefits than what fedex currently offers,then you can weigh that.However,work life balance is non existent in this line of work,whether at UPS or Fedex.
Most likely you will not get home until after 7pm on most days,and consider the vacation scheduling that goes by seniority.
Summer vacations are out for at least 10 years(if you lasted that long),and anything near a holiday will be off limits.
If work life balance is truly part of the dilemma,then I can't recommend even in the rosiest scenario to leave the state job.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
FedEx hired (or tried to hire) someone with a degree? Shocker!

I was the last one in my station to be hired with a degree (have three, currently working on the fourth) and I do not work at FedEx anymore...make of that what you will OP, but the really solid advice is many posts above this one.

hypo hanna

Ok,I'll give you some honest advice to ponder.
If your wife has a stable career and possibly equal or better benefits than what fedex currently offers,then you can weigh that.However,work life balance is non existent in this line of work,whether at UPS or Fedex.
Most likely you will not get home until after 7pm on most days,and consider the vacation scheduling that goes by seniority.
Summer vacations are out for at least 10 years(if you lasted that long),and anything near a holiday will be off limits.
If work life balance is truly part of the dilemma,then I can't recommend even in the rosiest scenario to leave the state job.
The days of this being a career are long gone. At best this should be nothing more then a temporary job while you go to school. If you care to spend any quality time with your 2 yr old or your spouse, stay far far away from fedex.

McGee

I have a relative that works there, and he even told me to don't even bother applying ( he's been there 20 years) , he absolutely detests it....

CJinx

If you wanted to get your foot in the door, courier would be one way to do it. I wouldn't stick with it though; with your education and public sector experience, you'd want to move up rather than remain on the bottom rung.

MAKAVELI

If you wanted to get your foot in the door, courier would be one way to do it. I wouldn't stick with it though; with your education and public sector experience, you'd want to move up rather than remain on the bottom rung.
Moving up in Express is not really moving up. It maybe moving up in pay but stepping down in morals, ethics, and any sort of family life. It's essentially the same at Ground. The op has better opportunities for advancement staying at his current government job. If I were him I'd look into moving out of Kentucky. There are states with much better prospects for him and his wife in their fields.

CJinx

I assume you're referring to going into management; you don't have to do that to go up in this company. Just have to be willing to relocate.

Although in the op's shoes; honestly I'd rather work in the public sector too. If you can't be part of the solution, there's great money to be made prolonging the problem... especially when the taxpayer is paying for it. ;)

!Retired!

Would you quit a government job for FedEx?
I haven't had a government job, so I can't say.
Listen to me. DO NOT work for FedEx...you will regret it. Listen to what people are telling you. FedEx sucks!
Before listening to this advice, ask why they still work there.
4/10's vary. I had a 4/10 down South and was home for dinner every night. I also had a 4/10 out here, I got home around 7:00 each night.
Vacations - true you won't get any of the days around any major holiday. It's also doubtful you will get Fall or Spring break. I'm there almost 15 years...I can get Fall break, but not Spring break. You might be able to get SOME summer time off. At my station, you need about 2 years to get summer weeks.