Pottery Barn Must Die...

thebrownbox

I had to hell a coworker put about 50 pottery barn boxes in the 54footer it sucked because it all just came down at once...

not knowing what pottery barn was when I first started UPS I went home to look it up.. :biting: bulky furniture and house ware..

I feel for some of the drivers that have to deliver this stuff.

govols019

You smell that?
I have driven 25 miles off trace to get rid of a Pottery Barn order. I remember one time when the packages were pretty beat up and I couldnt take the chance that the customer would refuse them and leave me buried....so I was as quiet as possible until I unloaded the last one, then I rang the bell and ran like hell to get back to the truck before they came to the door.

I've been known to do that. I sometimes amaze myself at my ninja-like skills of avoiding detection.:happy-very:

under the radar

A Trained Professional
I was unloading a feeder last Friday, and came upon THE largest cardboard box I have ever seen. I have no idea what was in it, but I swear to God the damn thing could have held a Volkswagen.

This box from hell, with the sweet little "Pottery Barn" writing on the side, took 3 people to get out of the truck, and WAS TOO BIG to fit onto the Oversize/irregular slide.

Took 4 guys to lift it over the framework of the slide. I hate Pottery Barn. Three questions-

1. How in GOD'S NAME is a driver going to deliver a box like that?
2. What is the name of the guy who sold the Pottery Barn account for UPS? Home address would be appreciated.

3. What was my third question again?

I haven't read all the other posts, but let me say this: Think before you complain about having work to do. Thank God for Pottery Barn, Office Depot, Quill, QVC, etc. Ask the DHL guy if he would like some of that right now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I haven't read all the other posts, but let me say this: Think before you complain about having work to do. Thank God for Pottery Barn, Office Depot, Quill, QVC, etc. Ask the DHL guy if he would like some of that right now.

I did, as he was handing me my coffee at the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru where he is working now.

CFLBrown

Instant send-again Dell left and many of us haven't looked back.

Regardless if it's work or not. It's chewing up space and time to deliver it. You'd have a better argument if you got UPS to get back the BASIC packages that are being delivered to the Post Office. Can drop 1-30 packages off there. That's anywhere from 1 minute to an hours worth of work for us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Regardless if it's work or not. It's chewing up space and time to deliver it. You'd have a better argument if you got UPS to get back the BASIC packages that are being delivered to the Post Office. Can drop 1-30 packages off there. That's anywhere from 1 minute to an hours worth of work for us.

You do realize, of course, that we do get part of the revenue for the Basic pkgs but, you're right, it would be better to keep all of it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OH, you would have to bring up quill. Those are the heaviest boxes, it's like stuffing 10 lbs of crap into a five lb sack. The tape always comes apart. BOOOOO HISSSSSSSS

I would rather have 10 PB's over one Quill. Well maybe not 10, how about 2. LOL

brownrodster

OH, you would have to bring up quill. Those are the heaviest boxes, it's like stuffing 10 lbs of crap into a five lb sack. The tape always comes apart. BOOOOO HISSSSSSSS

I would rather have 10 PB's over one Quill. Well maybe not 10, how about 2. LOL

How about those avon boxes that are barely in one piece when you deliver them. I had a lady yell at me about how horrible UPS is because we destroy her avon boxes. boo hoo. Tried to explain that it's avon's fault for not properly packaging the crap.

under the radar

A Trained Professional

If it's chewing up time than I'm makin' the dough! I've been on the other side of "busy" and I didn't like it. I know it's annoying but we have to adjust. When I started there was a fifty pound weight limit.

pkgdriver

I thank God TWICE for T-Mobile,Sprint, and the Replacement Credit/Debit card companies.

:weightlifter:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How about those avon boxes that are barely in one piece when you deliver them. I had a lady yell at me about how horrible UPS is because we destroy her avon boxes. boo hoo. Tried to explain that it's avon's fault for not properly packaging the crap.
You are right and ya know the avon boxes wouldn't be nearly as bad as they are if they would just band them twice instead of once.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
The fun really starts when you have a Pottery Barn delivery for a 3rd floor apartment. You break trace and get there first thing because you know you arent getting anything done until you blow this constipated mass out of your package car. The customer is inevitably not there....and the neighbors probably arent gonna want this 200-cubic foot pile clogging up their living room all day. Solution? DRIVER RELEASE. I dont care if its an apartment and needs a signiature, its got to go NOW. I have never had a claim on a PB delivery.

Soberups,
You ever have this scenario:

Last Christmas I had a Pottery Barn delivery. Eight rugs ranging in height 7'-8' tall to doormat size.  It was my last stop of the day (I kid you not) so I struggled with them for most of the day until I could get them up on a shelf.  Try getting your hand truck in the package area when rolls are taking up all the floor space.  So my helper and I finally get to the stop and I get this little tickle in the back of my brain.  It's what I think of as a sixth sense we drivers have after doing this job for so many years.  I try to dismiss it but it won't go away.  "I'll bet I'm going to get call tags for these in a day or two."  Nah, I say.  Silly me.  

So the customer wasn't home, which was ok with me.  DR, porch.  I was so glad I had a helper that day.  The next morning I go to pull my DIAD out of the slot and sure enough, eight call tags.  Oh, and they didn't give me a helper that day.  Anybody who has ever delivered a large Pottery Barn rug knows that they are HEAVY.

I had the same thing happen about 4 years previously and man, if I didn't get that same tickle.  That darn tickle is usually right.

anonymous4

I didn't partake in due diligence and read the entirety of the thread, but was this box strapped to a very large pallet? I've run into these Pottery Barn boxes every so often unloading trailers. Two of us had to get clever in flipping it over the irreg slide framework. Surely that can't be going in a package car for delivery?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't partake in due diligence and read the entirety of the thread, but was this box strapped to a very large pallet? I've run into these Pottery Barn boxes every so often unloading trailers. Two of us had to get clever in flipping it over the irreg slide framework. Surely that can't be going in a package car for delivery?

Unless you are processing at UPS Freight then, yes, it is going on to a package car. Our center processed a 9' kayak but thankfully the center manager made the right call by not trying to have it loaded on to an already bulked out pkg car. I am not sure if he had a 22.3 run it up there or if the customer agreed to come and pick it up.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
Put down the shovel and stop digging up post that are 4 years old!!!!!

Cementups,
Hello, I dug this up originally because I really liked Soberups reply and I used to deliver a lot of Pottery Barn, so there you go.  

I'm sorry.  I'm just a newbie here.  I'm going to back up slowly now without making any sudden moves or eye contact.  Easy does it.