Poverty As We Know It, A Creature of the State?

wkmac

The experience of oppressed people is that the living of one’s life is confined and shaped by forces and barriers which are not accidental or occasional and hence avoidable, but are systematically related to each other in such a way as to catch one between and among them and restrict or penalize motion in any direction. It is the experience of being caged in: all avenues, in every direction, are blocked or booby trapped.
—Marilyn Frye, “Oppression,” in The Politics of Reality

Government anti-poverty programs are a classic case of the therapeutic state setting out to treat disorders created by the state itself. Urban poverty as we know it is, in fact, exclusively a creature of state intervention in consensual economic dealings. This claim may seem bold, even to most libertarians. But a lot turns on the phrase “as we know it.” Even if absolute laissez faire reigned beginning tomorrow, there would still be people in big cities who are living paycheck to paycheck, heavily in debt, homeless, jobless, or otherwise at the bottom rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. These conditions may be persistent social problems, and it may be that free people in a free society will still have to come up with voluntary institutions and practices for addressing them. But in the state-regimented market that dominates today, the material predicament that poor people find themselves in—and the arrangements they must make within that predicament—are battered into their familiar shape, as if by an invisible fist, through the diffuse effects of pervasive, interlocking interventions.

Scratching By: How Gov't Creates Poverty As We Know It.

satellitedriver

Long article that states the obvious.
Just this weekend, I went down to Houston and showed my wife where I worked when we first met in college.
It was a new world to her.
She asked why so many homeless men were sitting in one spot?
I explained that it was a gathering spot for people to get cash day jobs.
40 yrs later,the same spot is still used for people looking for day labor.
I could blather on, but when people are given things for free they are just letting the slave shackles slip smoothly onto their ankles.

wkmac

Long article that states the obvious.
Just this weekend, I went down to Houston and showed my wife where I worked when we first met in college.
It was a new world to her.
She asked why so many homeless men were sitting in one spot?
I explained that it was a gathering spot for people to get cash day jobs.
40 yrs later,the same spot is still used for people looking for day labor.
I could blather on, but when people are given things for free they are just letting the slave shackles slip smoothly onto their ankles.

Speaking of Houston and another major factor in poverty.

[video=youtube;YQscE3Xed64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQscE3Xed64&feature=player_embedded[/video]

source.

wkmac

A Libertarian Approach

Dr. Steve Horwitz presents his ideas based on 3 elements
1) eliminate all minimum-wage and occupational-licensure laws.
2) open up the public schools to competition, if not outright abolishing them.
3) end the War on Drugs.

Read the article for the specifics as to why and how concerning those 3 items.

wkmac

[video=youtube;vDhcqua3_W8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDhcqua3_W8&feature=player_embedded#at=190[/video]