PPH for loading unloading

Homoudont

Just curious, Does anyone know the PPH rates that are expected of loaders and unloaders. I would assume there are some differences in hubs and centers, and equipment used. I just want to get a general guideline of where I stand on some of the work task that I do. Every time I ask my supervisor he throws out some wild number that should be attainable.

With scanners around slowing everything down, unloading pph should be easily attained. Loading pph has always been low; I think nice walls are more desirable than high pph.

As far as actual numbers, I have no clue. When I was a sorter years ago, prior to scanning, MAR was 1500 pph (sorter), 100 bph (bagger), 1200 pph (unloader). All of these numbers were easily attainable at that time. I would guess MARs in today's environment would be less.

Homoudont

Unloading I am blowing the numbers out of the water. I can do an extendo in 30 minutes consistently.. and a drop frame in about 45 minutes.. which equates to 2,000 - 2500 per hour on the extendo and 1600+ on a drop frame.
Last night I loaded 1000 in an hour but I had someone scanning for me, and the supervisor came up and said I should be doing 700 PPH by myself with scanning. I'm not sure how someone could read scan and load at 700PPH. And of course it was 90 degrees and humid.

tieguy

Banned
Just curious, Does anyone know the PPH rates that are expected of loaders and unloaders. I would assume there are some differences in hubs and centers, and equipment used. I just want to get a general guideline of where I stand on some of the work task that I do. Every time I ask my supervisor he throws out some wild number that should be attainable.

ask your boss. His opinion is the only one that counts.

Fnix

Anyone ever thought of this:

1500 PPH * 4 Hours = 6000 Packages

6000 Packages with an average weight of 20 lbs = 120,000 pounds

120,000 pounds / 2,000 pounds (1 ton) = 60 tons

The average unloader/sorter lifts 60 tons everyday and they make under $50 a day.

How depressing.

On topic. When I unload my supe doesnt care how fast I go as long as there is flow. And most supes would be happy if you did 3-4 trailer per day.

Homoudont

With scanners around slowing everything down, unloading pph should be easily attained. Loading pph has always been low; I think nice walls are more desirable than high pph.

As far as actual numbers, I have no clue. When I was a sorter years ago, prior to scanning, MAR was 1500 pph (sorter), 100 bph (bagger), 1200 pph (unloader). All of these numbers were easily attainable at that time. I would guess MARs in today's environment would be less.

Meant to say.. Should NOT be attainable...

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Eye-opening moment for me -

1st two weeks unload, I was killing myself, had to go over 2000 pph.

Sorter going too slow. I yelled at him to hurry up. He looks at me & says "They pay you enough to sweat that much?"

It was like a hammer to the head - he was/is completely right. I work very hard, beat the numbers they want, I don't slack. They are getting much more than $8.50s worth out of me, and I show up every day, on time. They expect 1200 pph, I give 1300 +/-. But dying for $8.50 / hour? Uh, no.

cgrant55

BBAG, I dont know where you came off yelling at anybody when you are that new. Try a little respect for people with more experience.

cgrant55

Well if not my apologies, but from reading the post I just assumed that it was, especially since ive had people with more seniority say similar things to employees at my center

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Eye-opening moment for me -

1st two weeks unload, I was killing myself, had to go over 2000 pph.

Sorter going too slow. I yelled at him to hurry up. He looks at me & says "They pay you enough to sweat that much?"

It was like a hammer to the head - he was/is completely right. I work very hard, beat the numbers they want, I don't slack. They are getting much more than $8.50s worth out of me, and I show up every day, on time. They expect 1200 pph, I give 1300 +/-. But dying for $8.50 / hour? Uh, no.

It depends on your position in the company.

But most importantly, there are NO numbers that the contract holds us to. "you set the bar". The amount of work you push is what will be expected. IF UPS does not feel it's adaquate, they'll move you.

Personally I work a bit harder than average because UPS shows friend/T the money. But for 8.50 you bet your :censored2: that it's not worth killing yourself for and I have no problem with part-timers setting a reasonable pace that may be considered a bit slow.

Everytime a sorter has yelled slow down or someone says "dont kill yourself they dont pay you enough" I tell them "it's too easy, when UPS makes the job more difficult I'll slow down"

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Well if not my apologies, but from reading the post I just assumed that it was, especially since ive had people with more seniority say similar things to employees at my center

You have nothing to apologize for. BBAG is a management pet ( or at least attempted to be one) and that comes along with the territory.

Anyone that concerned with numbers should go into management, period.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Ouch. Management pet?

Hey pal, uh, you bought them coffee and donuts your first week. Them meaning supervisors and managers. That is about as brown-nosing as it gets for an $8.50 an hour part time employee. Might as well put in your letter, make a few bucks extra per hour, and cast your line out there rather than wait it out 3+ years AT LEAST or possibly longer for real money.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Hey pal, uh, you bought them coffee and donuts your first week. Them meaning supervisors and managers. That is about as brown-nosing as it gets for an $8.50 an hour part time employee. Might as well put in your letter, make a few bucks extra per hour, and cast your line out there rather than wait it out 3+ years AT LEAST or possibly longer for real money.

Clearly you have not been following my posts.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Had an unloader in our center today actually receive a written warning for going TOO FAST. He went STARK RAVING MAD!

Granted, he was asked 10 times to slow down, plus he sent every leaker & every open box down the belt, too.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Clearly you have not been following my posts.

What'd I miss then? I'm pretty sure we went down this road already, but lets summerize. :biting: please correct me if I'm wrong.

-You bought donuts and coffee for your managers your first week.

-You say you have a driving job on the way, which is terrific. But, It takes 3 years to make good money as a driver, no matter what or who you suck up to. Calling a rose a rose there, it's in the contract.

-You unloaded far too fast/or worked far too fast and learned a valuable lesson from it - it is unnecessary and gets you nothing in return.

-I suggest you put in your letter if you want to be on their side of the struggle