PPH for loading unloading

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
-I suggest you put in your letter if you want to be on their side of the struggle

obviously he is trying to make a good impression on management whether it be to drive or go into management (which in some cases might be a faster route).

But this idea of "their side" is a little much. Everyone wants the same thing...to make money. To do that both sides, management & union, must work hard. If this ideology becomes the thought process for the majority of UPSers than the company is doomed.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

obviously he is trying to make a good impression on management whether it be to drive or go into management (which in some cases might be a faster route).

But this idea of "their side" is a little much. Everyone wants the same thing...to make money. To do that both sides, management & union, must work hard. If this ideology becomes the thought process for the majority of UPSers than the company is doomed.

Correct, but there will always be 2 distinct sides to this coin we call UPS. Just my opinion. We can debate this back and forth all day and night but let's face it, it's a waste of our time.

And to not call UPS operations a struggle? again IMO, for most of us the job's not peaches and cream thats for sure. Call it what you will.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
See, I learn something here every day. I didn't know there were sides, and definately did NOT know I was in a struggle. I just want to drive. Zpv Bttipmf.

yeah kid you are just starting in your UPStruggle. get some years in and then you can laugh at how naive you were at one point. (just remember the Magic word , SENIORITY.)

yeah kid you are just starting in your UPStruggle. get some years in and then you can laugh at how naive you were at one point. (just remember the Magic word , SENIORITY.)

And you remember that seniority doesn't make you older than people with less of it. Therefore anyone with less seniority is not younger than you and isn't always a "kid". Talk about no respect. :/

SoyFish

All I got out of this topic was I'm getting paid like $1 to load 1 ton of packages...

Speaking of senority I gotta figure out why no union dues have been taken out of my check. I'm almost at my 30 days. I think it's like 28 or 29. You can't get senority unless your in the Union?

cino321

Don't worry about production, do your job, come to work on time everyday, and stay out of trouble. Worry about not getting injured before everything else.

Mike Hawk

All I got out of this topic was I'm getting paid like $1 to load 1 ton of packages...

Speaking of senority I gotta figure out why no union dues have been taken out of my check. I'm almost at my 30 days. I think it's like 28 or 29. You can't get senority unless your in the Union?
I think the way it works is your dues/initiation fee get taken out after you make seniority(finish the 30 day trial period) and are officially in the union.

FromBluetoBrown

Ok, they have been cramming this PPH dribble down our throats all week. For our building its 222pph for the loaders. I've been averaging in the 205-210 range all week.

W

westsideworma

thats not likely to change. I've heard it ever since I've worked here.

When I was a loader there was a week during the summer that I'd been averaging 230+ (before PAS) which is like 10-15 off where I normally was, but hey it was hot/humid and I didn't want to collapse but they'd tell me to hurry up. Once I snagged the sheet that said the planned pph was 200 (at the time) I then ignored the prodding. I understand the need to work quickly and efficiently, but at some point you get diminished returns. When we meet our plan for production our misloads go sky high (as a building due to out of syncs and wrong cars).

There is just a realistic number for accurate production, I'm not sure what it is, but for me it was always around 200-215 under PAS. This is with every label pulled (a method in our center) and no misloads when I was in that range. Anything drastically above that I'd have 1 or 2 and then go a few days without, then have some etc you get the point.

It just seems to me that when we meet our production, drivers don't meet theirs as they're shagging misloads because people (some not all, some just slack and I realize that) aren't given enough time to complete their job accurately. Consider this, I have a guy who regularly gets 1100 packages. By plan he should have 5.25 hrs, we give him 4 at the max (often times its less). I am not allowed to start him earlier. To me, that is unacceptable. I can rationalize a lot of the moves and decisions we make with reasonable explanations, but not that one...it just defies all logic. Its not a credible plan and lacks integrity because I know of no one that could do that pickoff day in/day out following every method and wrapping it. Not even myself and I was a damn good loader.

W

westsideworma

You have it easy. I was getting 1200-1500 in 3 hours routinely when I was loading. Most loaders, esp friend/T combos, get 300-600/hr in our hub.

I think his pph numbers are for loading the brownies, they usually have lower pph than loading trailers.

FromBluetoBrown

Correct and I should have assumed that, but we all know what assuming does. PREloading....:knockedout::wink2:

And those numbers dont take into account the number of times I get sent to the unload, or the sort aisle, or helping the guy to the right and left of me. I keep telling the p/t sup. "Hey, how can I be responsible for making your numbers if the volume isnt there.?" The preload sup watches the bins go through the sort aisle and those of us with empty bins get "volunteered" to come up and sort or unload.

browniehound

Ok, they have been cramming this PPH dribble down our throats all week. For our building its 222pph for the loaders. I've been averaging in the 205-210 range all week.

Are you misloading at all? If your service is perfect but are a little slow on the PPH, I think your boss will be willing to live with that. But if you're slow and misloading packages all over the lot, then you will have a problem.