PPH (Pieces Per Hour)

Curious question regarding all pre-loaders at different locations. What is your HUB's PPH? Is your work volume slow? or fast? Does it vary on what day? In a sense, pushing 12-15,000+ parcel per hour is good for the company every morning, but what about the workers pay? The faster you push the work out and get it done, the less UPS has to pay people their hours. Is this a good thing or is this a bad thing? I feel as though UPS only cares about it's parcel more than the people working the parcel when it all comes down to it. The faster they push out the work, the less hours and money they need to pay people. This is just my input and experience with morning pre-load.

Last edited:

HardknocksUPSer

We are just machines, once a wore out machine has bit the dust or a machine is having too many problems they replace it with a new one. They don't care. Seems like some of the supervisors I know purposely start chaos.

J

jibbs

We typically move between 20K-30K during preload.

Roughly 4 hours a day, so, on a really, really rough average my center pushes about 5,000-6,000 packages through the system every hour. That's just based on what I see on the week's forecast every Friday/Monday, though. The actual numbers obviously vary. Individually, though, I have no clue what my or the typical preloader in my center's PPH would be. They don't tell us that kind of stuff for some reason.

(Small center, especially compared to the buildings/hubs I read most of the folks on here talk about.)

laffter

We're "supposed" to have something like 245pph. With the excessive volume lately, I've been exceeding that number regularly.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
The numbers aren't your problem. I don't recall reading in the union book about a requirement for us to pull any number. Second your number is at the mercy of how many pieces you get a day. If you don't get enough pieces your not going to hit their number. For example my color only gets 800 pieces the unload don't come down until 8:45 to 9:00 a.m. I come in at 4.45 am. Therefore there is no way I can pull their number unless I work under my guaranteed 3 and a half.

We typically move between 20K-30K during preload.

Roughly 4 hours a day, so, on a really, really rough average my center pushes about 5,000-6,000 packages through the system every hour. That's just based on what I see on the week's forecast every Friday/Monday, though. The actual numbers obviously vary. Individually, though, I have no clue what my or the typical preloader in my center's PPH would be. They don't tell us that kind of stuff for some reason.

(Small center, especially compared to the buildings/hubs I read most of the folks on here talk about.)
Typically, my pt sup let's us in on the pph with it varying everyday for some reason.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You have your daily guarantee for hours but other than that you're kinda out of luck. Unless someone with less seniority than you is working more hours.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Guaranteed hours are 3 1/2 out of 5 for part-time.

Not sure but if it is more hours you want go ask your supervisor if you can help someone when your done. I am sure these guys would be willing to let you go help someone who is in need. I could easily get five hours a day at my place but once my time is done, I am out of there.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

That's just based on what I see on the week's forecast every Friday/Monday, though.
Don't pay any attention to forecasts. If you want proof IE is a group of idiots Planned vs Actual is a perfect example. Monday's we are always over our volume by close to 50% and by Friday we are under by a good 20%.
We're "supposed" to have something like 245pph. With the excessive volume lately, I've been exceeding that number regularly.
245pph actually isn't that hard to do unless you have a ton of irregs.
Typically, my pt sup let's us in on the pph with it varying everyday for some reason.
My guys use it as a contest in smalls. Who can get the highest PPH. It's pretty funny actually. They take it to heart who has the best. I have to post the results after the sort every night or else I get asked about a dozen times who was best. I'm not complaining, makes my job easier.

HardknocksUPSer

Don't pay any attention to forecasts. If you want proof IE is a group of idiots Planned vs Actual is a perfect example. Monday's we are always over our volume by close to 50% and by Friday we are under by a good 20%.

245pph actually isn't that hard to do unless you have a ton of irregs.

My guys use it as a contest in smalls. Who can get the highest PPH. It's pretty funny actually. They take it to heart who has the best. I have to post the results after the sort every night or else I get asked about a dozen times who was best. I'm not complaining, makes my job easier.
Those are the guys that make it harder on everyone else by giving management high expectations, that's like someone asking for more work. Brilliant.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Those are the guys that make it harder on everyone else by giving management high expectations, that's like someone asking for more work. Brilliant.
Weren't you a gunner like 3 weeks ago? Rich coming from the misload king.

I don't set high expectations. I don't even have a goal PPH for them to hit. You can fudge PPH very easily. I use it as a gauge. If a couple guys are doing 320 PPH and you're doing 75 PPH, something isn't right. I honestly don't give two craps what your PPH is as long as the trailers get off the doors on time and with 0 misloads.

doodoobrwn

Y'all's numbers are weak in bham loaders might have 1300 pieces total and we work 4.5-5 hours I think we're doing darn well we have 4 belts twos boxlines 1 straight line and a PDC with 7 doors in the unload this morning we had 31 loads 9 long boxes very high volume due to snow and other bs

J

jibbs

Y'all's numbers are weak in bham loaders might have 1300 pieces total and we work 4.5-5 hours I think we're doing darn well we have 4 belts twos boxlines 1 straight line and a PDC with 7 doors in the unload this morning we had 31 loads 9 long boxes very high volume due to snow and other bs

Overall my center's numbers might be weak, but I know most trucks go out with 250-400pcs a day (400 is definitely on the high end but it does happen often) with loaders on four to five trucks apiece unless they're splitting.

Individually, we work just as hard as you do, doodoo. That might not include the unload and sort aisle differences between buildings, though.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Your center almost certainly has a lot more efficiencies than we do. We have two doors, one belt. It isn't easy to get a high PPH when you're stuck with one belt. We only average 1000 pieces an hour for the whole building. It's darn near the limit.