PPH (Pieces Per Hour)

HardknocksUPSer

Weren't you a gunner like 3 weeks ago? Rich coming from the misload king.

I don't set high expectations. I don't even have a goal PPH for them to hit. You can fudge PPH very easily. I use it as a gauge. If a couple guys are doing 320 PPH and you're doing 75 PPH, something isn't right. I honestly don't give two craps what your PPH is as long as the trailers get off the doors on time and with 0 misloads.
My misloads are not a issue and haven't been in the last month, I had 2 last week and that's it, I've had no more than 3 a week in the last month, maybe even month in a half. And that's fine, I'm glad you don't push PPH for your workers but some supervisors do and not all centers are roses and sunshine like yours, some supervisors don't care one bit about anything but what they want. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in my last post. I'm simply stating guys who try to be over achievers make it hard on some of the slower guys who can't keep up with the pace.

Shep92

Here's a few things you can do if your PPH isn't high enough for your supervisor.

Reply with.......

1."I can always go slower."

2."Get me a union rep and we can discuss it with them"

3."Please point out where in the contract it dictates I have to load this fast."

I do all 3. The management in my HUB all live in a fantasy land. So when I get asked why my PPH isn't as high as they want it to be I reply with the above statements. They shut up after that and leave me alone. Go at your own pace, but don't be lazy. Between 350 and 400 PPH is a good area to be around. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, that's what the union is for and management knows it

working up a sweat

In my hub, management never sets any PPH numbers. I work safe and do 300 PPH and work at my pace. My walls are top quality. Make the T's and top load the smalls bags.

The only time I got hassled was when I gave my scanner to someone who made 2 misloads. I got 2 errors in my name and took the blame. I could not rat out on a union brother. They did not write me up. I just got the attitude adjustment counseling for 5 minutes. Took the bullet.

I am 56 and been PT for 10 years. I am here for my pension and bennies. I have no ambition to be FT. I have my day job to pay the bills.

Air hub contract here gaurantees us 17.5 hours credit in pension and bennies a week. I average 12 hours worked and get paid for only time worked.

85 percent of the PTers here work for UPS benefits and pension. Not a primary paycheck. Some people only average 6 hours a week up to 12 hours. Depends on what sort you work. The pre load is only shift gauranteed the 3.5 hours per shift paid here.

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Here's a few things you can do if your PPH isn't high enough for your supervisor.

Reply with.......

1."I can always go slower."

2."Get me a union rep and we can discuss it with them"

3."Please point out where in the contract it dictates I have to load this fast."

I do all 3. The management in my HUB all live in a fantasy land. So when I get asked why my PPH isn't as high as they want it to be I reply with the above statements. They shut up after that and leave me alone. Go at your own pace, but don't be lazy. Between 350 and 400 PPH is a good area to be around. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, that's what the union is for and management knows it

You can also explain the math to them which I do. It is just your total pieces divided by hours worked. So your pretty much screwed if unload goes down late or it is a slow day. It works sometimes.

BrownThunder

Depends on who I ask:

Trainer - "work at a safe and consistent pace, focusing on load quality"

PT Sup - "You need 300pph, to hell with load quality"

Guy who's been there over 10 years - "Forget PPH, do the best you can as safe you can. 300 PPH is a bullsh_t figure"

Driver buddy - "Sucks to be you!"

AndUPSER

My sort manager wants all the new guys to hit a 400 pph sometime during their first week Or else they're gone. Yeah, good luck with that.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My sort manager wants all the new guys to hit a 400 pph sometime during their first week Or else they're gone. Yeah, good luck with that.
Which is idiotic. Part of what sups are evaluated on is employee turnover. If you're off the charts you get no raise. I'm over the moon when I can get a first week guy to break 275..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You can also explain the math to them which I do. It is just your total pieces divided by hours worked. So your pretty much screwed if unload goes down late or it is a slow day. It works sometimes.
Yeah how does the simple math work when i'm caught up and told to go help that guy over there...so I go and load 60 of his pieces....and 50 of another guy's pieces. That should count towards MY PPH and be deducted from theirs but that doesn't happen. They can take their numbers and stick them where the sun don't shine.

platinum9898

Stop blaming people that are beasts for management coming down on you. If you can't keep up so be it that's what the union is for grow a pair

platinum9898

How about driver release residentials in driving? What's your top number in one hour? I hit 53 can do 39 -43 consistantly depending on area ,if i have an automatic truck and if the bulk head door pops open by itself

Jkloc420

Yeah how does the simple math work when i'm caught up and told to go help that guy over there...so I go and load 60 of his pieces....and 50 of another guy's pieces. That should count towards MY PPH and be deducted from theirs but that doesn't happen. They can take their numbers and stick them where the sun don't shine.

That is my point. They pull me off my color all day long to go help people. Send me to the slide or go help someone. I come in the next day and say did you put that in or add pieces. They don't even count all the extra post office for the guy who loads across from me. So I agree that all that should be counted. Basically what I was saying is their numbers are pretty bogus.

Jkloc420

You got to understand all their numbers are bogus. It don't really matter where you work or what you do. It is all to tell upper management their keep tabs on people.