PPH (Pieces Per Hour)

llamainmypocket

PPH is just a thoughtless statistic. Don't even start to drink their koolade. It's their job to fret over how things look from the top down. Your job is to put the box in the car safely and work as directed. Priority #1 no misloads. #2 perfect load quality. #3 safety. #4 work as directed. PPH is a distant #5 just to prevent being harassed.

The union isnt here because is was grandfathered in from a bygone era. Its here because UPS would work its employees to death if we didnt stand up for ourselves.

watdaflock?

The faster you push the work out and get it done, the less UPS has to pay people their hours. Is this a good thing or is this a bad thing? I feel as though UPS only cares about it's parcel more than the people working the parcel when it all comes down to it. The faster they push out the work, the less hours and money they need to pay people. This is just my input and experience with morning pre-load.

You say this as if it's a bad thing. God forbid UPS has a focus on profit.

browner89

Ya think??

My favorite bogus numbers are for small sorters, small hub, sort is all manual, sup counts how many packages you move off belt for like 30 seconds to figure out your hourly rate as if a 30 second window can actually represent 1 hour with changing pkg types and volume.

UPS is certainly a funny place to work.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's bs if your pph is even close to 400 your only working 2.5 hours at the most because my pph is 283 and we work 5-5.5 hours a day
So, no one can have a higher pph than you? I work more than 2.5 hours a day...I dont leave till my trucks are done.
CAM00024~2.jpg

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My favorite bogus numbers are for small sorters, small hub, sort is all manual, sup counts how many packages you move off belt for like 30 seconds to figure out your hourly rate as if a 30 second window can actually represent 1 hour with changing pkg types and volume.
What a bizarre way to do it. Not to mention making it more difficult than it has to be. One click in GSS tells you immediately what the PPH for each scanner is.
The problem with their bogus numbers is that when you attain them, they raise/ lower them. It's like the horse with the carrot.
Ours change almost weekly. During peak as a sort we were supposed to attain a 314 pph. Now? 240. It doesn't really make sense.
So, no one can have a higher pph than you? I work more than 2.5 hours a day...I dont leave till my trucks are done.
If you ever want to move to the middle of absolutely nowhere and enjoy -40 windchills I have a sort job for ya.

browner89

What a bizarre way to do it. Not to mention making it more difficult than it has to be. One click in GSS tells you immediately what the PPH for each scanner is.

We sort by hand, no digital systems, we all know every zip for each part of the country. Theres no way to count a small sorters numbers with technology, its all done by eye.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

We sort by hand, no digital systems, we all know every zip for each part of the country. Theres no way to count a small sorters numbers with technology, its all done by eye.
Are you talking about the actual sorting or the bagging? We do the sort all by hand and know all the zip codes as well. But we use smart scanners for the bagging portion. Usually the sorter can way outpace the baggers.

browner89

Are you talking about the actual sorting or the bagging? We do the sort all by hand and know all the zip codes as well. But we use smart scanners for the bagging portion. Usually the sorter can way outpace the baggers.

I'm talking about the sorting, our baggers use scanners, yes. I know bigger centers small sorts are "unskilled" now as a sorter scans the package and the bin it goes in lights up or something like that, but here we need to memorize the zip codes, and to get the sorters rate, the sup needs to watch the sorter for a period of time counting the packages.

I just find the method silly because it could be covering the sorters worst moments due to crappy package combinations coming yet it goes down as their rate for the hour.

I've had my sup tell me one hour I'm sorting 1800/hr and the next hour im told im sorting 1400 because the first hour I was sorting envelopes and the next hour bags and boxes when realistically I'm not moving any slower or faster, the package dictates everything.

Edit: And yeah, our baggers are "expected" to do 400/hr, some can't touch it and others bag 600, sorters expected to do 1100 with each sorter having 2 baggers. Sorters easily win the race and usually need a 3rd bagger.

Last edited: