Prayers for Birmingham facility

Returntosender

I'd bet he's worked here awhile...
They will hire additional guards. Corporate security probably sent instructions double the gate guards and hire a rover to walk the parking lots. Rover instructions report all suspicious activity make sure off the clock employee don't hang out in parking lots.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Its a good bet UPS will be on high security for a while. My center had guards and there was a metal detector for when people leave, but not when they enter. The exception was a few times an employee made a threat against management and people entering would be checked for about a week then it would be forgotten.

Returntosender

oldngray 1412406 said:
What will be more important is what isn't said in the termination letter because there is always more going on.
Thats why UPS took the employees at the time of shooting to another location to be investigated and consulting them about the shooting. Management is providing them proper answers on what to say if the media asks questions. Probably making them sign confidentiality agreements you only can say this and nothing more.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thats why UPS took the employees at the time of shooting to another location to be investigated and consulting them about the shooting. Management is providing them proper answers on what to say if the media asks questions. Probably making them sign confidentiality agreements you only can say this and nothing more.
JFK was flown in to enforce this.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Its a good bet UPS will be on high security for a while. My center had guards and there was a metal detector for when people leave, but not when they enter. The exception was a few times an employee made a threat against management and people entering would be checked for about a week then it would be forgotten.
About 6 or 7 years ago, they fired and arrested a long time driver for theft in my building...they caught him redhanded with stolen ipods. As they walked him out in handcuffs...he was cursing and yelling threats at management. For a week or so afterward, we had a uniformed cop sitting in the guard booth 24/7.

Returntosender

JFK was flown in to enforce this.[/quotAtlanta-based UPS ]said in a brief statement that the shooting happened around 9:40 a.m. CDT. The company added that it is fully cooperating with the investigation.

Employees who were at the warehouse when the shooting happened were being taken to another location so that they could be interviewed by investigators and provided with counseling, Roper said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-people-dead-shooting-ups-facility-25699944?ts=true

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
These type of goober posts are not really appropriate but sometimes you let them stay up to display the shallow thought processes some people have. No where in this post does TFH blame the mentally-unbalanced individual that committed the crime.

I'm gonna dissent here, Hoax. Most of us are rational people capable of dealing with adversity but a (small) minority are not and it's difficult to readily identify these individuals. UPS' corporate culture is to pushing employees to their limits and select managerial employees perceive this as 'harass them until they break.' Given that many UPSers feel handicap to UPS (e.g. unreplicatable wages/benefits/retirement tether them to a job they dislike) as well as the sheer size of the company, then yes, I will agree with the poster that it's surprising things like this don't happen more often.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
These type of goober posts are not really appropriate but sometimes you let them stay up to display the shallow thought processes some people have. No where in this post does TFH blame the mentally-unbalanced individual that committed the crime.

That post meets the TOS criteria and is simply an expression of opinion.

L

Littlearrowdown

3 dead in murder-suicide at Birmingham UPS facility
WBRC Staff
Sep 23, 2014 10:35 AM
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - A recently-fired former UPS employee shot and killed two people at the UPS Customer Center in north Birmingham before taking his own life, police confirm.

Birmingham police said the shooter and two victims were white males. Their ages and names have not yet been released.

During the shooting, multiple employees fled from the UPS building located in the 4600 block of Inglenook Lane near the Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport.

"When police officers entered the facility, they identified and located the three bodies, one of those is obviously the shooter, and it appeared he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound," Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper said.

Edited by Cheryl {{Copying and pasting an entire article, story or any other copyrighted materials here is a no-no because that's AGAINST COPYRIGHT LAW! It's okay to post small excerpts and/or your own comments and a link to the original work.

If you find copyright laws too restrictive feel free to start a thread in the Current Events forum debating the merits of Copyright law: http://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms#tldr
}}

Last edited by a moderator:

upstim

I would just like to say that I have been with UPS for 35 years and have dealt with pressure to perform or lose my job, but at no point did I ever think about hurting anyone, let alone killing someone. To blame UPS for this is a joke, the blame lies with the person who pulled the trigger. Wake up and understand there are people that work everywhere that are not mentally stable.

Sent using BrownCafe App

watdaflock?

He was in uniform so it sounds like he was a driver?
Why was he fired?

imo- It is an isolated incident, not like UPS has shootings every month.

TSup

Honestly, all that matters here right now are the 3 families that have been destroyed by this act.

How anyone could take 2 other lives, and then his own leaving his wife and 2 daughters behind is beyond me.

My prayers are with them all...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Such a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the 2 Supervisors who just went into work today, and will never see their families again.

This guy was a coward. You want to ruin your own life? Go ahead, kill yourself. Taking out those who you feel "made you lose your job" is BS, plain amd simple