Prayers for Birmingham facility

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Some people build their whole lives in this :censored2:hole for what so bigbrown could spit you out at moments notice. pfft. I don't endorse killing by ANY means but i see where his head was.
For tens of thousands of pieces of green paper with numbers on them every year...that's why! Shouldn't you be off calling in sick?

some1else

Banned
T and get some real security to monitor what's being brought into the building??? This same thing could've happended at ANY of our buildings.
You realize that a 20,000 lb ups truck can do alot more damage than anything short of a crew served machine gun right?
Knee jerk gun control mentality. Oh big brother save us! If we only had more control, cameras, intrusion, naked body scanners and cavity searches we would all be safe.
Building repsect for and amongst your workforce is the answer. Think something like this is going to happen at chic-fil-a??

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You realize that a 20,000 lb ups truck can do alot more damage than anything short of a crew served machine gun right?
Knee jerk gun control mentality. Oh big brother save us! If we only had more control, cameras, intrusion, naked body scanners and cavity searches we would all be safe.
Building repsect for and amongst your workforce is the answer. Think something like this is going to happen at chic-fil-a??
Compare losing a 90k+ a year job...to frying chicken for 9 bucks an hour? Getting fired at fast food means I can easily go work at a different fast food restaurant for about the same money. Where does a fired UPS driver go to make 35bucks an hour,plus all the OT you can choke down?

I'm not condoning in any way what he did....but I can see how finding yourself in that situation could push a already unstable person over the edge...and it's very sad that it ended the way it did.

But yes, no matter what your position in the company, we should all be able to go to work and not be concerned about shooting breaking out in the workplace. Security is a friggin joke...I could walk out carrying a PC front bumper, or walk in with a grenade launcher..and a guard wouldn't notice.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would just like to say that I have been with UPS for 35 years and have dealt with pressure to perform or lose my job, but at no point did I ever think about hurting anyone, let alone killing someone. To blame UPS for this is a joke, the blame lies with the person who pulled the trigger. Wake up and understand there are people that work everywhere that are not mentally stable.
Exactly ... glad to meet someone who does not have a victim mentality.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It already has.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
who here,, HOURLY employees, is surprised by this? We have all talked about it in my building where we are running to when we hear that first shot...its a horrible/ hostile work environment. I'm not surprised at all

Catatonic

Nine Lives
who here,, HOURLY employees, is surprised by this? We have all talked about it in my building where we are running to when we hear that first shot...its a horrible/ hostile work environment. I'm not surprised at all
Me either.
I'm not surprised when this happens anywhere.
I recall it happening in churches, mosques and temples ... if it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It already has.
You're right. I can't stand management as much as the next hourlie....but no supervisor...no matter how colossal of a pr*ck they are or how shady and underhanded they act..(and we know many like this...) deserves to die for it. Nobody "got what was coming to them" today. 3 families got destroyed.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Me either.
I'm not surprised when this happens anywhere.
I recall it happening in churches, mosques and temples ... if it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.
your not a hourly employee,, nor currently employed by ups... why you are spamming this thread is strange.You have no idea about the current hourly/operations relations.. please let those of us who currently work for ups and see this discuss it

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unarmed security....isnt.

Hiring a couple of extra unarmed, minimum-wage security guards to staff a malfunctioning metal detector isnt going to deter someone with premeditated intent from walking into a facility and committing murder with a gun.

I dont claim to know what the solution is, but a make-believe security system isnt it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
your not a hourly employee,, nor currently employed by ups... why you are spamming this thread is strange.You have no idea about the current hourly/operations relations.. please let those of us who currently work for ups and see this discuss it
He worked here for over 30 years.....he's entitled to his opinion!

oldngray

nowhere special

Hiring a couple of extra unarmed, minimum-wage security guards to staff a malfunctioning metal detector isnt going to deter someone with premeditated intent from walking into a facility and committing murder with a gun.

I dont claim to know what the solution is, but a make-believe security system isnt it.

Agreed. Minimum wage rent a cops wouldn't even slow down a determined crazed person. All they could do (if they weren't the first person shot) is call 911 and by the time the police showed up it would be too late.

UpsAngel

I agree. In fact i have to agree with bleedingbrown58 security is a joke. Everyday i watch the detector go off and just let people walk by. There is this one guy who tries to pat people down but the drivers usually run rigjt past him. Hiring bunch of extra rent a cops really would be useless ups would just be paying more gaurds to nap. Pftt

coolslice

I think most hourly employees that have spent any time at UPS knows that murder isn't justified, but UPS breeds a culture where you almost expect these types of incidents. Workers are pitted against each other, and you basically have to screw someone or break a rule to to accomplish the goals that UPS has set for us. If you somehow manage to do what is expected, you get nothing but more work. Like has been said, they treat everyone of us like a criminal that they just haven't caught, yet.

We sacrifice our bodies, our families, and basically our entire life for this company. A decent paycheck is not enough justification for so much sacrifice at times in such a stressful, thankless job. I don't think it's right to put ALL of this on the shooter. There are lots of employees that could do this if UPS takes the one thing they still have, because UPS has taken everything else in many cases. I bet we all work with people like this. Their wife left because they are never home, their body is broken down, and all they have is this job. It's all they know, and without it they are nothing.

I know every person I work with wasn't surprised that this happened. It's been a long time coming, and I think most people probably don't expect this will be the last time either.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Put all UPS facilities inside gated communities. Problem solved. (Sarcasm...for those who haven't been on this forum for long)

Last edited: