pre load concerns

mitchemracing4

I think so , I think you have to obtain your seniority before that time is actually guaranteed . Someone else may can answer that question better than me .

HaveHeart

just an update, turns out my full time sup was on vacation my first week and my PT sup had me coming in close to 30min later than everyone else for some reason, and that accounted for pretty much all of my problems.....now that ive been showing up on time (and 15min earlier some days) ive been having no problems finishing on time

S

splozi

HaveHeart said:
doing about 313PPH today

HaveHeart said:
my sup said ive been doing about 900 a day

I'm a little confused about these numbers. How long are you working each day?
313 packages per hour is 1200-1400 pieces for the day (4-4.5hours). This is an insane amount, even it was peak season.
900 total pieces is 200-225 pph (same hours). This is more reasonable.

The driver who told you that he won't let you load his truck anymore is an a-hole and an idiot. First off, if you're new and you can't keep up, it's managements fault, not yours. And he isn't the one who decides who loads his truck. Before peak last year, I was moved to the first area on my belt. My drivers were pissed off. A couple of them bitched at the sup telling him to move me back. Management doesn't care what anyone there wants.

As to why they put new hires in stressful areas... my guess is to weed out the people who can't handle it. And by 'can't handle it', I mean, get stressed out and frustrated. But then again, any area is likely to be stressful for someone new.

Hopefully you have your own area now, so you can actually learn it. Being moved around all the time is about the worst thing they can do to somebody in preload, in my opinion.

I think there was a lot of good advice given in this thread.
I will add though, the thing that taught me how to produce better loads is driver helping during peak. You get to actually see and participate in the process a driver goes through. If you are able to do this (in regards to time), I would recommend it. Plus, you'd be getting overtime pay during most of it, not the crappy $8.50.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This all sounds nice, but you are the one who admitted to coming every day and knowingly working for free, to "make your day easier" because the job was too hard, then complained when management started moving you around because you had nothing to do.

Nicely put.

We all did start somewhere. It took me about a month to fully get the big picture, in preload. Some take it on right away, a few. A lot never amount to anything special or trustworthy. For me, and I hope others in the future, will do their jobs with morals and ethics at hand.

Another great tip is, to watch other loaders work. One of the things that got me understand preload, was watching a fantastic loader.

NI3

Driver wants Library like quality.

Management wants boxes loaded on trucks as fast as possible without follow ups (missed adds/cuts or misloads) showing up on on paper

On the scale of :censored2:baggery, PT supes stands on the top.

HaveHeart

I'm a little confused about these numbers. How long are you working each day?
313 packages per hour is 1200-1400 pieces for the day (4-4.5hours). This is an insane amount, even it was peak season.
900 total pieces is 200-225 pph (same hours).

Well they just added a 4th truck to my pull so I've been doing 1300ish packages at just under 5hours a day, I don't take a break or stop working for anything usually.....it almost feels like slave labor,ha

S

splozi

Well they just added a 4th truck to my pull so I've been doing 1300ish packages at just under 5hours a day, I don't take a break or stop working for anything usually.....it almost feels like slave labor,ha

I don't think my area exceeded 1200 pieces during peak, and we were working 7-hour mornings for the last couple weeks of it. Congrats to you if you can do 1300 in 5 hours.

anonymouse

If it makes you feel any better? I started working in January of this year and they started me with 5 trucks averaging about 1,200 boxes a day. for 1 month straight they would threaten me and joke about my slow and horribly messy work, I averaged 7 miss-loads a day, then one day a "higher up" sup walked by and talked to me, the next day i had 4 trucks with about 850 boxes, but it only lasted two weeks(they found out the sup didn't train me so they re-trained me) now I' m back to the same route but I definitely got the hang of it and it's actually getting easy. They ended up moving my sup(unrelated reason) but when i see him he tries to be all buddy buddy with me.... I just reply, "I want to talk to my union rep."

Indecisi0n

I use to rag on preloaders for giving me misloads everyday but after i see the ***** they go though i keep my mouth shut. I had 4 misloads a few days back and my preloader the next day said "sorry for all the misloads" I just told him ***** happens and not to worry about it.

S

splozi

I use to rag on preloaders for giving me misloads everyday but after i see the ***** they go though i keep my mouth shut. I had 4 misloads a few days back and my preloader the next day said "sorry for all the misloads" I just told him ***** happens and not to worry about it.

How do misloads affect you as driver? When I was driver helping last peak, I was helping on a route that I loaded myself. We'd have the occasional misload, and all that would happen is it would still be on the truck when he got back to the center. I'm not understanding what the inconvenience is, unless you're missing a package that was misloaded onto a different truck, and you spent time earlier looking all over for it?

curiousbrain

How do misloads affect you as driver? When I was driver helping last peak, I was helping on a route that I loaded myself. We'd have the occasional misload, and all that would happen is it would still be on the truck when he got back to the center. I'm not understanding what the inconvenience is, unless you're missing a package that was misloaded onto a different truck, and you spent time earlier looking all over for it?

The reason misloads are such a problem are, as Upstate (and others at a different point in time, I'm sure) has intimated, is that it is a service failure. Possibly, that might result in a customer complaint, which means there will be phone calls and people will yell at other people; all this is fairly intangible to the "front line."

What is not intangible, however, is when people come storming out of the office screaming about "missed" packages on the district morning report (or others), and why (as a center) there are N amount of missed. Furthermore, there is a specific missed frequency centers have to adhere to - it is a QPR item. Missing it means low raises (in theory).

There is a lot more to it, and I am just sort of ranting about it, but misloads/missed are a "big deal" (TM).

NI3

all that would happen is it would still be on the truck when he got back to the center.
Which means that someone doesn't get that package. It's a big deal. We all hate not getting a shipment we're expecting to get, especially if it's on a Friday since it would have to wait until Monday.

Suppose you were expecting something for the weekend and you were supposed to get it Friday. Instead, you don't get it until Monday at which point you might not need it and at that point a chain of phone calls may follow.

Recipient calls shipper and demand to return the item. and UPS will perhaps hear about it from the shipper.

Ticked off call from a major account means someone will hear about it.

S

splozi

My question specifically related to how a misload inconveniences the drivers, not the customer. I received my answer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My question specifically related to how a misload inconveniences the drivers, not the customer. I received my answer.

There is minimal incovenience to the driver. All we have to do is send in the 1Z and whether we can deliver it or not through the misload communication screen in the DIAD. We will then receive an ODS as to whether to leave the pkg somewhere to be picked up or to sheet it as missed.

Misloads are a very small percentage of our overall volume but when it is your package that is misloaded and not delivered it becomes a big deal.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
In our center, they usually make us run the misload because our center manager will die if we have missed pieces. That could be the 5 miles out of the way or 40 miles out of the way. The inconvenience is that I now have to run this misload and make a long day even longer. I'm not complaining but rather explaining what the inconvenience is.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I would think at some point during the day the driver would go thru the load, especially if you have a bad loader. Bringing back stops because you couldn't find them is not acceptable .

S

splozi

In our center, they usually make us run the misload because our center manager will die if we have missed pieces. That could be the 5 miles out of the way or 40 miles out of the way. The inconvenience is that I now have to run this misload and make a long day even longer. I'm not complaining but rather explaining what the inconvenience is.

That's pretty crappy. I've never heard of that going on here, though.

Indecisi0n

I del a misload one time that took 25 mins up and 25 mins back to shop. I laugh because i am getting paid but it just sucks when you started at 8am and are out until 8:45-9pm.