Pre Route Ritual/Routine

mittam

I inspect the package car and look at load then carry a grease pencil to reload on road and not worry about pas

KRAM

I dont intend on being replaced,I just want to work with mngmt and make things work for both of us.I want the AWPA to intervene and get the hoffa regime out.

Well unfortunately management doesn't give a crap if it's you or buck tooth Billy down the street in the seat of that package car. They are going to make sure Billy can do the route without thinking, just hump the boxes is all they want. Mindless zombies would be preferred. They don't want to work with you, they want to bust your ass even more and put more money in their pockets.

Is the AWPA the answer? I don't know, but what I do know is I want someone in there bargaining a contract for me. I could care less if it's a 10 year contract as long as it's good for me. Keep me protected, give me my raise, pension and health care I have been busting my tail to get for the last 20 years. I want my pension and health care at 30 years service no matter the age and let me go.

I dont intend on being replaced,I just want to work with mngmt and make things work for both of us.I want the AWPA to intervene and get the hoffa regime out.

Maybe you should look at your local officals and not the Hoffa regime, here out west we are doing pretty damn well for ourselfs. Its not Hoffa screwing up the union but local officals in certain areas.

dammor

Seems things are the same across the country. Pas/Edd is not a blessing, management is being ridden hard, and the trickle down effect is landing squarely on us the hourly folks. I was watching a rerun of Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago and there was skit with Alec Baldwin that reminded me of one of our recent PCM's. He was sent by the powers that be to harrass the poor elves that were trying to make the toys for Christmas with tools that were substandard to say the least. I tryed to downlaod it, but could not.
It was season 31, episode 8. Check it out. You will laugh and then cry.
Such is UPS. There have been some really good people in management here over the years. Three of the best have just recently walked out the door. The knowledge that left with them is a huge loss. Sad thing is that they didn't retire. They quit because of the crap they have had to put up with.
I admire them for saying enough is enough. I however have been here too long to start over. When the next contract comes up I will have almost 29 years in God willing. I want my pension, healthcare, and nothing else. Just let me walk out of the brown door knowing I did my best everyday and made it through it. I care about my customers, but this job has lost it's shine.

rod

Retired 22 years
my routine get up when I want- go to bed when I want- in between do what I want. Life is good (finally).

Ruralbrownman

We recently started using DIAD4 , but we dont have PAS or EDD ,( what a pain in the neck) , and not scheduled to get it for awhile ( our building needs renovations to accomodate the new systems) , and from the way it sounds I dont think we want PAS /Edd.

mittam

Just FYI I was a driver before I became a PDS, and I am not arguing at all that EDD isn't right, because it isn't, that isn't my job though, we have a "dps supervisor" who is supposed to fix that, and rarely does. However, when someone has a 6 hour planned day on a route, and runs it in 12 hours, therein lies the problem. The majority of UPS Drivers are great people, and some of the hardest workers you will ever run into, however in every center, there are least one or two bad apples that just plain can't do the job. I ran a route for a while, and was able to deliver 100 stops and scratch, however on the same route, with a driver who just bid it, he is only running 60, and it takes him twelve hours, that is my biggest complaint. Don't gripe and moan to me when I can do it better myself, and I am even overweight...lol. Anyway, I agree with EDD at most all centers I have visited the EDD is messed up, but since the dispatch supervisors are either running air, or doing something else, they have little if any time to complete the EDD work, so it falls right back downhill to the drivers, who then get screwed. Basically, corporate needs to realize the fact that EDD will not work, unless the PDS's are given the time to fix it. I fixed one loop last week, we had a driver involved in a wreck, (not his fault) and was on light duty, he came into the office, and with his help, he is running over 98% trace, problem is it took me 6 hours to fix, so how many people here a willing to put in 6 more hours and help with the problems? Any takers?
we had 3 of us sit down at different times and loop the routes as they should be we broke down roads by address breaks and had most all the routes perfect for running trace the day they went in they were screwed up, all that work for nothing, waste of time other than having a few non physical days as drivers or part-timers we can fix most any problems at UPS but then let UPS handle it only to screw it up just like edd it could be the greatest tool we have ever had until UPS management got a hold of it

hoser

Industrial Slob
I show up 10 minutes before start time and stand with my fellow Teamster members and socialize. Frequently I chase those who are up on the belt working for free away from the operation. Its sad that some people have no respect for those that have made past sacrifices so they can make the kind of wage they do. Its so simple to follow the Union rules.
i doubt a vigilante sorter will bring the union into complete disrepute. :rolleyes:

sacrifices? don't 1-up yourself that much, teamster.

ups1990

Arrive to work half hour before start time. Get a quick glance at the load, then talk to other drivers.

A prayer before leaving the hub. One never knows what will happen on each particular day. I dont know about the rest of you, but I still get some butterflies in my stomach before heading out. It seizes after getting on freeway.

The rest of the day in anything but routine due to the constant add-cuts.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Arrive to work half hour before start time. Get a quick glance at the load, then talk to other drivers.

A prayer before leaving the hub. One never knows what will happen on each particular day. I dont know about the rest of you, but I still get some butterflies in my stomach before heading out. It seizes after getting on freeway.

The rest of the day in anything but routine due to the constant add-cuts.
Ah....... so you loiter, like most of us! :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Get to work 30 minutes or so early, get EDD, complete paperwork, go through EDD to classify any NDA SVRs as RES/COM and to see add/cuts, if any, see what NDA I have (and which ones I can pawn off), go through call tags and develop a trip plan in my head. I then go and talk sports with the boys, flirt with a female co-worker, and wait for the PCM before heading to WalMart.

Big Babooba

Every day before my PCM, I have this ritual:

1. I face Seattle and bow my head
  2. I turn towards my Center Manager's office and salute
  3. I turn 180 degrees, facing Atlanta and pass gas!:wink2:

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I get in 15 min before start time, grab my board and see what mystery is there for the day, check NDAs put my lunchbox in my truck, shake my head at the load massagers, and then shoot the breeze with other drivers up until PCM time.