Pre-trip, Post-trip and DVIR. Is it necessary and why isn't it enforced?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I can't explain why, but it's pretty obvious that Pre-trip, post-trip and DVIR completion and enforcement is pretty weak.

If you've been around for a while, I'm sure you've seen bald tires, lights out, bad steering, brakes worn through, loose lug nuts, fluid leaks and other items that should be detected, reported and repaired.

Who should be held responsible if an accident or break down occurs due to the failure to properly pre-trip, post-trip or turn in a DVIR?

Is it the driver, the company or both and what should the penalty be?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I can't explain why, but it's pretty obvious that Pre-trip, post-trip and DVIR completion and enforcement is pretty weak.

If you've been around for a while, I'm sure you've seen bald tires, lights out, bad steering, brakes worn through, loose lug nuts, fluid leaks and other items that should be detected, reported and repaired.

Who should be held responsible if an accident or break down occurs due to the failure to properly pre-trip, post-trip or turn in a DVIR?

First and foremost it IS the drivers responsibility.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The contract is quite clear about the fact that employees cannot be disciplined for refusing to operate unsafe equipment.

That protection comes with a responsibility...to follow the law and do a thorough pre-and post trip so that the company has the opportunity to fix the equipment before it becomes unsafe to operate.

some1else

Banned
Our building never says a word about pre/post/dvir. The method drivers do it (indcluding me) but id say 75% just start the truck And roll down the road. Managment says nothing until-
2 years ago a reg-temp had a roll-over and was cited by state police for bald tires! He hadnt filed out the dvir and presumably no pretrip which expeditited his termination. Lots of drivers still dont bother doing it

Btw it was a newer p700 the front tires they use on them wear very quickly about 10,000 or less miles!

Ghost in the Darkness

Well its DOT reg. One sup addressed a driver that hadn't signed off the dvir in about a year. Everytime I did this guys route I was always the last driver to have signed off... sometimes 3 months since the last time I did the route.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I admit I tend to get complacent when it comes to pre-tripping my vehicle. I've had the same truck for 15 years. It's not too often that I park it at night in good shape and an issue creeps up by morning. My mechanic does everything I ask in a timely manner. I buy him beers when I see him out.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

It is legally and morally the driver's responsibility, and why would you want to take chances with your own welfare, let alone others on the road?

brett636

By law we are required to do post trips and pre trips. I admit I don't do them as thoroughly as I should, but I do look for obvious issues before I hit the road. Its also good practice because management will say little to a driver who doesn't take the time to do a proper pre and post trip, but will fire that same driver if something fails that should have been spotted beforehand. CYA (cover your A**) is something good to remember in these situations.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As an air driver I was always driving different vehicles ( what ever was available ), I always wrote my ending mileage on the DVIR. It actually saved my butt once. I used a freshly painted P300 one day, signing off as usual , the next day it had a rather large yellow dent on the passenger side door. I was able to prove that someone else had used the P300 and not signed the DVIR , someone had added 104 miles to it. Turned out it was a couple of sups.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As an air driver I was always driving different vehicles ( what ever was available ), I always wrote my ending mileage on the DVIR. It actually saved my butt once. I used a freshly painted P300 one day, signing off as usual , the next day it had a rather large yellow dent on the passenger side door. I was able to prove that someone else had used the P300 and not signed the DVIR , someone had added 104 miles to it. Turned out it was a couple of sups.

That's good ... at least no one was disciplined.

Omega man

The law requires it and UPS pays you to do it. The problem begins when drivers are chased out of the building by management. "You can only have a 10 minute AM time etc." Some drivers just don't have the backbone to stand up to the harassment. Sooner or later something serious will happen. When I started, a driver in my center had a wheel come off that careened over a median and almost go through the windshield of a car coming from the opposite direction. Management was probably happy because at least the driver didn’t have excessive AM time.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I admit I tend to get complacent when it comes to pre-tripping my vehicle. I've had the same truck for 15 years. It's not too often that I park it at night in good shape and an issue creeps up by morning. My mechanic does everything I ask in a timely manner. I buy him beers when I see him out.

If the driver does their part and the mechanic does their part the vehicle should be in good shape at all times. Unfortunately this is often not the case based on my observations. I see everything from burned out lights to wheels falling off in my area. Hopefully, it won't take a serious injury or a death to wake people up. The jury is still out in the Florida feeder accident, but it appears that someone didn't do thier part.

brett636

Thats interesting. I'm an air driver and I have come across several trucks that the day drivers write the mileage on the DVIR. I never understood why until your post. Maybe thats a habit I need to pickup.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats interesting. I'm an air driver and I have come across several trucks that the day drivers write the mileage on the DVIR. I never understood why until your post. Maybe thats a habit I need to pickup.

I started doing this when I was on my rural route as I needed a full tank every day to complete the route. Writing the mileage down would let me know if the vehicle had been used after I had left for the day. I still do it even though I am now in the city--force of habit, I guess.

Raw

Raw Member
Yup! A couple weeks ago after 2 days off I did my pre-trip and low and behold a huge yellow smudge on side front bumper and a gash just below the front headlight, an actual un-reported crash! Funny how it was painted over the next day as if nothing happened while a year before I cracked a mirror after going 4 inched because cars pkg cars were parked too close AND both mirrors pulled back all the way and still I got charged for an accident on a 21 year safe driving run! :biting: