Precident for returning to pkg from feeder?

UPSGUY72

In my area you have to give two years then you can go back to package cars. I can't wait to get a chance to go to feeders. I don't mind working nights I use to work swings shifts in a paper mill so nights are not a problem. Anyways right know I have a hour drive to work then work 10 hrs plus 1 hr lunch days and have to drive home and hr. I leave my house at 7:20 am and sometimes don't get home to 9:00pm.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
All I know is that life is a lot easier working nights. I get to spend all morning with my family, and sleep while they are out doing their thing. I wake up, eat dinner with them, and then leave for work.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
How far are you from the ocean? I went to the Jersey shore one summer and loved it.

Theoretically I am about 2 minutes away from the beach, though our beach here in Central NJ is more for fishing. I can see the Raritan Bay & Staten Island, NYC from the second floor of my home. As for the more traditional beaches similar to where you visited, I can be in Point Pleasant in about 30 minutes, Atlantic City in about 90, and Cape May and the Wildwood's in right around 2 hours.

I know it's the funny thing to do to knock New Jersey as being polluted, over-taxed, and run by the mafia, but the fact is there is no other place like this. I've seen a state or two in all of my travels, but absolutely none of them compared to my Dirty Jerzee.

outta hours

The original poster is experiencing something that I think all new feeder drivers do. It's human nature to be resistant to change and want to return to the comfortable old feel of something familiar. I would wager we all felt that way when we started in pkg. car too. I know I did. But in time you become accustomed to the new routine.

Many positives to be in feeders. Many of which have been discussed at length on this forum. I think that deciding to quit something new after 3 months is being unfair to yourself. Probably the reason many locals require one, two, or even three year commitments. If it turns out after that time period that you choose to return to pkg. car then by all means do it.

It is quite a change from pkg. to feeders. Especially if your supplement requires you to have a different classification seniority date. Going from the top to the bottom can be a shock. You no longer have first choice of vacations, days off etc. And most of the time you will not have a run of your own. You will be working off the cover board and many times be on call. All things that require some time to adapt too. Good luck and give it a little time. A year from now you may look back and laugh at the notion you had to return to pkg. car.

DS

Fenderbender
we probably work in the same building
In a way we ALL do.
Our little hub in Toronto is 465,000 sq feet.Our Calgary hub is 150.000 sq ft.
If we took every hub and made a city out of them ,with Louisville being our vatican,at 3 million sq ft
we would be be the size of Rome . UPSSOCKS fiddled while Rome burned:)

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
At my building you can bid back to package but no one ever does it - ever. Working nights RULES. We have no shortage of drivers who want night work. The night jobs always get gobbled up first during the semi-annual bids or the weekly cover bids. Nobody wants daywork. All the family men maximize their family time by working nights. Working at night and sleeping during the day has been a breeze for me. 9 years til retirement and I will NEVER bid daywork.

I wasted 10 years of my life working days on a package car - stuck in that damn truck all day not being able to accomplish anything at home until the weekend. Then its was back to work on Monday to start the bogus cycle all over again. Its been 5+ years of being cured of that package car cancer I once had and I am soooooooo grateful to be where I am at this point.

browniehound

Thanks for the insight Over. That's what I meant to write. Once you fullfill your 2 year commitment you can't be forced back into feeders. Anyway, I don't think they are forcing anyone into feeders right now, as there are too many feeder driver 'stuck' in package because of the economy.

Also, you're right 12 years (its actually 11.5) is too long to not have a summer week, but you know what? In 2005 and 2006 I was able to get a July 4th week (i'm assuming drivers didn't pick it because on the day off in it anyway). From 2007 on I can't sniff ANY July or August week. Its either the economy or ever senior driver taking all his weeks in the summer which is fine if you have the juice. I just don't like when they pick for a driver junior than me.