pregnancy

UPS Lifer

You have your rights as any woman does. Apply for INTERMITTENT family leave so you can take time as needed for your pregnancy. INTERMITTENT will allow you to take it in increments of any days or even hours as needed.

First of all Congratulations!

It sounds to me you have already made up your mind (based on that lengthy post) about working vs TAW.
Just curious... If you were breathing in those "fumes" for the past 10 years, why all of a sudden is it any different? Wasn't your health a concern to you before you became pregnant.

I know you don't want to hear this but....
Here is the way this is going to go down.... You will have to have a doctor say you can't work.... then you put your job in UPS hands. UPS does not have to provide you with TAW. If you work in a reload operation there is probably no TAW available.

You can go out on disability but that may or may not pay the bills.

If a doctor tells you that it is OK for you to continue working then you have a decision to make. Do you want to be around the fumes or not? Do you want to bring home a check or not? I have watched pregnant drivers work right up until the last week before they were due with no ill affects so it boils down to you and how your pregnancy develops but you probably already know that.

sano

Another twist to throw in the mix, if I may.

My wife and i are expecting a child in June. I am a part time pre loader with 1+ year on the job currently.
Past experience tells us that my wife will have a difficult pregnancy that and a C section birth.

My question is based on this information, would I qualify for FMLA time off?
I understand that FMLA would be unpaid and I am comfortable with that.

how would the application process work? thanks in advance for anyone who can shed light on this for me

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yes, absolutely you are entitled to FMLA. To Care for your wife and child. As a PT'er you are entitled to half the hours of a FTer but I can't remember what they are at the moment. Someone chime in here. Go to your sup to get the process started.

Another twist to throw in the mix, if I may.

My wife and i are expecting a child in June. I am a part time pre loader with 1+ year on the job currently.
Past experience tells us that my wife will have a difficult pregnancy that and a C section birth.

My question is based on this information, would I qualify for FMLA time off?Absolutely! But make sure you apply for intermitant! This will allow you to take time off as needed,be it weeks,days ,or even minutes. Apply both for the care of your wife and also seperately for the child.
I understand that FMLA would be unpaid and I am comfortable with that.You are correct. IN OUR LOCAL, you would be eligible based on hours worked per year for either 6 or 12 weeks even though you are a PTer.

how would the application process work?You call your local HR dept,take the forms to your doctor and then return them. FMLA runs from Jan 1st thru Dec 31 but you are eligible to apply at any time. thanks in advance for anyone who can shed light on this for me

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm

sano

Thanks for weighing in on this.
I will wait until things settle down after peak and then see what can be arranged