Preload sucks...nothing further, carry on.

BigBrownSanta

Upstate, hates smiley's.

Actually I think upstate is using reverse psychology. He actually likes smileys, but wants his stalkers to think he dislikes them so that they will use more...:happy-very:

Steve, I deleted your smiley, not because I dislike smileys, but rather because it looked too much like a self portrait of me.:surprised:

Overpaid Union Thug

I've never preloaded before. I've unloaded trailers and split the belt after the PALs were placed on the packages but never actually loaded the package cars. I think that unloading the trailers absolutely sucks arse on preload. I've unloaded trailers plenty of times on twilight and noonday shift and thought nothing of it but waking up at 3am and having to do it makes it seem so much more difficult.

Big Babooba

I've never preloaded before. I've unloaded trailers and split the belt after the PALs were placed on the packages but never actually loaded the package cars. I think that unloading the trailers absolutely sucks arse on preload. I've unloaded trailers plenty of times on twilight and noonday shift and thought nothing of it but waking up at 3am and having to do it makes it seem so much more difficult.
Nothing worse then being in the bottom of a drop frame trailer on an ass bitin' cold night. You're pulling out irregulars and small bags, the temperature is 10 below and the wind is blowing snow in on you. Your snots are freezin', your joints are aching and you're trying to unload packages that are frozen to the floor. You're almost done in this trailer and you know that there is another 100% load right next door waiting for you. You feel like you just had a preview of Hell - UPS style.:devil:

BigJoe

Preloading in Asheville,NC and Love it just hope I don't get laid off. They say I'm on the bubble will know Friday. :anxious:

UPSNewbie

Nothing worse then being in the bottom of a drop frame trailer on an ass bitin' cold night. You're pulling out irregulars and small bags, the temperature is 10 below and the wind is blowing snow in on you. Your snots are freezin', your joints are aching and you're trying to unload packages that are frozen to the floor. You're almost done in this trailer and you know that there is another 100% load right next door waiting for you. You feel like you just had a preview of Hell - UPS style.:devil:

Luckily drop-frames are not the regular at Tulsa. I hate those things. But then, when we get a TOFC only half of the doors are equipped with extendos.:whiteflag:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Upstate, hates smiley's.

Grinch.jpg
Grinch.jpg

upsgrunt

Our preload supe was giving a tour in November and I heard him describe it like this: "This job is hot, cold, dirty, and early". That pretty much sums it up and I told him that is the most accurate description you can give someone new. At least it might scare a few of the probable non hackers away before they can do any damage.:happy2:

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Equally as bad is being in the nose of a feeder in Florida in August. 120 degrees and humid with some p/t sup, holding a clipboard, screaming at you to hurry up. Of course, that was 15 yrs. ago. It's still really brutal. Just not for me.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve makes an excellent point. As an off-the-street hire, I never worked the preload, which would have given me a deeper appreciation for the work that they do, often with little or no recognition and for a far smaller wage. On the flip side, we had a couple of preloaders who were seasonal drivers this peak and one in particular used to hold the opinion that all we did was drive around and cash our big paychecks. It took him all of 2 days to rethink that.

I don't know that I would want to work the preload at this point in my career, not even for a day, because, quite frankly, at 47, I don't think I could keep up with the pace and perform the job in the manner that I ask of myself. Plus, I used to coach the preload sup in baseball when he was a kid and he still calls me Mr., so the thought of taking direction from him just doesn't seem right.

My only true experience with preload was a driver sort and load in a satellite center with 8 drivers. NOT THE SAME THING.

I'm with you UpState, this old man has no business loading trucks.

BILLYB

GO PRELOAD! My loader Randy just walked away with a handsome XMAS tip from me! I appreciate how he will fix any problem I have and he makes my work day tolerable! I had to preload my route 15 years ago with this rotating cage system in Spring Valley, NY. What a disaster to pull almost 1500 pieces from a colored box and actually put them in order in 3 cars. All I could here was my Sup yelling over the PA "Pull Top Yellow, Pull Top Yellow." I had to call for for reinforcements! Makes u appreciate what someone can do for you!:peaceful:

dillweed

Steve makes an excellent point. As an off-the-street hire, I never worked the preload, which would have given me a deeper appreciation for the work that they do, often with little or no recognition and for a far smaller wage. On the flip side, we had a couple of preloaders who were seasonal drivers this peak and one in particular used to hold the opinion that all we did was drive around and cash our big paychecks. It took him all of 2 days to rethink that.

I don't know that I would want to work the preload at this point in my career, not even for a day, because, quite frankly, at 47, I don't think I could keep up with the pace and perform the job in the manner that I ask of myself. Plus, I used to coach the preload sup in baseball when he was a kid and he still calls me Mr., so the thought of taking direction from him just doesn't seem right.

Wow, Upstate, you hit a nerve there. At 51, 15 years on the preload I'm no spring chicken. I've always pushed to be the best I can, knowing I was doing better than some younger than myself.

I feel a change, however, in my physical ability and speed. Will also admit a change in attitude - so many years of employees who don't give their all, don't give a darn and function quite well within the UPS system.

Although I'd like to age gracefully, the workload doesn't allow for it. I have found myself harassed more and more for not keeping up with the flow and questioning whether or not it really is too much flow or I'm too little of an employee.

Upstate, you have lots of pride in your abiity and, I'm sure, bust your rear every day. I respect your insights and wonder how you would feel if you were put into a position where you knew you were not up there with the best of them. Or even on your own route, if it began to take a bit longer to run that cardboard than it used to. Would you do your best to save face and risk injury or be able to accept what you are and what you can do?

Actually, this question is open to all. I'm not the only baby boomer in the batch and certainly not the only one pushing hard to handle a rough job. Is anyone else just plain slowing down with age? How do you feel about it and should we have a right to our jobs? Should we make like old Indian squaws who, when no longer useful, walk into the deep woods to die so as not to be a burden to the rest of the tribe? Or do we have a right to continue doing our best while expectiing to be treated with dignity and respect?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am not as fast as some of the younger 'guys/gals' and I don't have a problem with it. I do the best I can and that is good enough for me. So far it's good enough for my sup.
What I lack in speed I make up for in customer service.

Now if I can just learn to keep my mouth shut when I need to. LOL

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Actually, this question is open to all. I'm not the only baby boomer in the batch and certainly not the only one pushing hard to handle a rough job. Is anyone else just plain slowing down with age? How do you feel about it and should we have a right to our jobs? Should we make like old Indian squaws who, when no longer useful, walk into the deep woods to die so as not to be a burden to the rest of the tribe? Or do we have a right to continue doing our best while expectiing to be treated with dignity and respect?

If your building has PAS/EDD, they have obviously changed how many pieces an hour you can load cars. I still cringe when I see preloaders loading 4 cars now. Management feels they have dummyproofed the system and with no loadcharts, you should be able to increase your productivity.
I was PT sup for 3 years on preload and can't stand seeing these PT sups "whipping" the preload to go faster. PT sups need less knowlege and experience than years ago, and all they need to know is where their routes are for add/cuts.
So, maybe your body is geting older, but the expectations of your numbers have increased as well. Keep up your dedication to your cars, your drivers do appreciate it.

PS - We have boxlines (cages) here, which are way easier than just a belt system. I still don't know how you all kept up, especiall back in the day with loadcharts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dillweed, I was simply speaking for myself and for my situation. I know that I would have a hard time keeping up with the kids and the pace while maintaining the level of performance I demand of myself. Besides, after 19 years of driving, I have to admit that I have become a bit spoiled and would have a hard time busting my rear for peanuts. By no means did I mean to offend (and frankly thought that I had phrased it such that I wouldn't) but if you took offense I do apologize.

You mentioned how I would feel if I felt that my ability had slipped to where I was perhaps a step behind my cover drivers. I had to laugh as both of them hate covering my area because mine is one of the tougher areas to cover. Let's just say I don't worry about being bumped from my area at bid time.

I do admit, though, that when I was first hired and some of the "old-timers" had told me that after a few years my knees would begin to ache, I blew them off and said, yeah, right. Well, 19 yrs later and my knees ache, my elbows and hands ache, and my lower back aches.

Dill, I again apologize as I thought that I had phrased what I wrote so as not to offend anyone. Dave.

sano

I still cringe when I see preloaders loading 4 cars now. .

Try 5. I loaded 5 cars all peak. Yesterday (Friday) I still had 5.
It works OK, but I end up falling behind because I had 1400+ pieces most days. then they send a seasonal hire around to help. Seasonal guy doesn't know how to load so he just pulls out of the cages and throw packages behind the truck they go to. I go from truck to truck loading. Picking up packages off the floor really gets to my back.

Ok I will stop whineing now.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't think you offended her, upstate. I think dillweed was just explaining her view of things from where she is and how things are changing for her. I applaud you dill, for not giving in to the mental mayhem that supes try to play. I say do your job to the best of "your" ability and you'll be doing just fine.

Hey upstate; We have cover drivers here that fear some senior driver's routes. Mind over matter, is a lesson well learned for these guys. Funny thing though, lately, I see some senior drivers working the preload. Must have made bad choices in the market or something. Though these drivers mostly do scanning and data AHC. When I get called in for preload I go straight to the unload, I mean, I know it's overtime, but sheesh, let me scan some pkgs one day.:wink2: