Preload vs. Reload

gostillerz

Hey guys, just wanted to show the differences between preload and reload at my center...

A.M.

22 people
5 supes
Morning meeting starts with "it's 3:45"
2 unloaders, myself included 5 trailers (trailer temp 80+/-)
Supes saying "you're 5.5 minutes behind, reload supes are jagoffs"
Belt stops every 5 minutes, making me late
Doughnuts , bagels, coffee, and OJ every Friday

P.M.

4 people
2 supes
P.M. meeting starts with "Just put on some Flowmasters, check it out"
1 loader (me), 1.5 trailers (trailer temp 100+/-)
Supes saying "stop the belt, catch a smoke, preload supes are jagoffs"
Belt never stops (unless smoke break is needed), done in 2 hours
4 large pizzas, for 6 people twice a week
Told supe I may be a little late. He replies "call if it's more than an hour"

I was just asked by the center manager which shift would I rather have permanent. Hmmmmm......

Mike Hawk

2 supes for 4 people? lol Our reload has 1 supe for 8.

Go reload, reload is gravy, 2 hours of semi hard work to get trailers loaded, then 2 hours of messing around washing/parking cars. Unless you want hours, then go preload.

gostillerz

2 supes for 4 people? lol Our reload has 1 supe for 8.

Go reload, reload is gravy, 2 hours of semi hard work to get trailers loaded, then 2 hours of messing around washing/parking cars. Unless you want hours, then go preload.

After 2 hours of loading, I'm done. that's all I do. My goal is to be a driver. I wish I knew about this 10 years ago. I have a CDL, but no Hazmat/doubles. They were talking about training me for that, but I was told that it was hard to go from Feeders to Pkg cars, hich is what I really want to do. Hours mean nothing, I have another job for that. I don't wash or do anything else there. After my trailers are loaded, I yap with the guys, then split. In a nutshell, when I'm on reload, I'm proud that I did a good job. On preload, I'm part of a math equation that better equal PPH or else.

Mike Hawk

My building has 40ish drivers for 30ish bid routes, your building must have very few pickups to run the reload with 3 people, plus one who leaves after 2 hours.

If you are just waiting it out to go driving take the reload, much more relaxed environment.

gostillerz

My building has 40ish drivers for 30ish bid routes, your building must have very few pickups to run the reload with 3 people, plus one who leaves after 2 hours.

If you are just waiting it out to go driving take the reload, much more relaxed environment.

All of us are done in around 2-2.5 hours. Nobody leaves until everything's done. We get some pickups, but it's usually steel and 2 pallets of paper, so I just throw them under the floor panels. We usually get the same stuff everyday, so I'm trying to get it all to fit in one trailer....close so far, but no success (damn bags)...

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey guys, just wanted to show the differences between preload and reload at my center...

A.M.

22 people
5 supes
Morning meeting starts with "it's 3:45"
2 unloaders, myself included 5 trailers (trailer temp 80+/-)
Supes saying "you're 5.5 minutes behind, reload supes are jagoffs"
Belt stops every 5 minutes, making me late
Doughnuts , bagels, coffee, and OJ every Friday

P.M.

4 people
2 supes
P.M. meeting starts with "Just put on some Flowmasters, check it out"
1 loader (me), 1.5 trailers (trailer temp 100+/-)
Supes saying "stop the belt, catch a smoke, preload supes are jagoffs"
Belt never stops (unless smoke break is needed), done in 2 hours
4 large pizzas, for 6 people twice a week
Told supe I may be a little late. He replies "call if it's more than an hour"

I was just asked by the center manager which shift would I rather have permanent. Hmmmmm......

Sounds like my building. I worked reload for years and would occasionally work on preload. They are two completely different animals. The best thing I got out of reload was being able to drive the trucks every night. We were always pulling them out and backing them in so that we could unload them and wash them (rare now). Then we had to park them to end the shift. I always felt like the money earned on reload was worth it but didn't think $8.50/hr on preload was worth it. Not because of the work but the hours combined with the work made it more difficult. To me it just doesn't seem right to have to wake up at 3 am.