preload

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Westsideworma, thank you for your response. I do appreciate the comment on keeping my head up. It's nice to have other people in your corner when things seem to be going bad.

BTW, I'm glad to be part of the UPS family!

JustTired

free at last.......
The goal of any new system is to save time and money. The problem being that the company is usually overly optomistic about the time and money it will save.

Even when it could save them time, they push it thru too fast and expect the changes to show results immediately (if not sooner).

What they need to do with the PAS/EDD system is to take one giant step backwards and see where things are going wrong. They need to work with the preload and drivers to get things moving in the right direction. I , of course, don't really expect that to happen as it makes too much sense.

HazMatMan

It all goes back to the pay rate. Pay someone 9.50 an hour and work them like dogs for 4 hours do you think they really give a :censored2: ??

I'd love to be in your center PassYouBy. You are still using the charts. Not that abomination that was supposedly supposed eliminate misloads, make all cars the same (technically this is true, in reality...far from it due to shoddy dispatches) and make everyone super fast loaders (210+pph).

PAS has started to succeed on some of those accounts, but its been a long arduous process for preloaders and drivers alike. No one is ever satisfied at the effort you put in. I shouldn't say that, aside from the drivers no one is satisfied. I was recently moved again and two of my drivers were like "what the hell happened to you?!?!" I regrettably informed them that I was no longer their loader. One was like aww "friend$#!." All my drivers get pissed when I am moved around. I didn't necessarily want off that pick but they trained someone to take it over while I was on vaca. I guess he's not doing too bad according to the supes...though my drivers miss having a seasoned loader. The guy works hard, I was like work with him like you worked with me when I started your trucks (this was my 5th pull and the 2nd longest frame with the same drivers) and it'll be fine. He can't correct the mistakes of PAS because he doesn't know what your truck was like before PAS (whereas I did having loaded it a while before it was actually mine pre-PAS). IF you tell him, then he'll work on it, guaranteed. We also now get spoken to if we are over allowed (over 5 hrs, OT is forbidden now) after we busted our backs to just even get done on time for the drivers to get out. I don't hold any ill will toward our management for this because I know it wasn't their call. Its still stupid and its frustrating. It came from someone who hasn't been in the operation which makes it all the more ridiculous. Even some of them admit that this place is making it hard for management (operational) to do their job and it frustrates the hell out of them. I can't blame them.

PassYouBy, keep your head up, show up everyday on time, use the methods (if only to stay safe) and you'll do just fine. This job is hard work, theres a lot of BS that goes with it, but just push through it. If you show the drivers you care about what you do (which you have) they will continue to help you and give you pointers as well. Believe me they want you to be a good loader just as much if not more so than you do :wink:

Westside...If you didn't custom load your cars pas would work. Custom loading is half the problem with pas...You are underminding the system.

W

westsideworma

Westside...If you didn't custom load your cars pas would work. Custom loading is half the problem with pas...You are underminding the system.

yes I am, I will admit that. I am doing the driver a favor because our dispatch team still hasn't or is refusing to fix the problems. I say still because I informed them of the problem for 3 months...after that I stopped caring about it and did it my way. I had the same issue on the old pull I had for over a year...I informed them of the issue for a bit then too...guess what? Those routes STILL have the dispatch errors. We used to do that before PAS (arrange things for our driver) and no amount of technology can make up for human judgment or common sense. Do I think its wise to load a 150 piece bulk stop in the 3000 section when its his first stop? Absolutely not, does PAS think so? You bet. Do I trust PAS in that case? not a chance. Actually do any bulk stops (20+ pieces) belong on shelves unless it is the sole thing on that shelf? NO. Things like that are what I fix. Loading certain streets where they used to be? No way, I've got no clue what streets are on my trucks anymore other than main ones.

Even the pull that I am covering has such special arrangements as well. The guy on vaca is my friend and I know his drivers as well so I was made aware of such things. You're right this isn't the way it should be done. I shouldn't have to do drivers favors (not that I mind), Their dispatches should be corrected to reflect what would help them run their days more efficiently...but they aren't and any input they offer is summarily ignored. I know its not that difficult to do with PAS either, so there is no excuse for it. If something I do is going to save a driver 30min or more on their day you bet I'm going to do it, I don't care where the PAL says it goes.

LKLND3380

PassYouBy, Welcome to the Brown Cafe. I have always worked with my Preloader, they are who make or break my day. I recently lost the woman who loaded me the last seven years. My Preloader now is alright, but he is not as good as her. It is very important for a driver to talk to his preloader, we need to tell them when they do well and let them know what happened when we have problems.

It would be great if UPS would allow a couple drivers to come in an hour early to work with their preloader two or three times a year...

LKLND3380

It all goes back to the pay rate. Pay someone 9.50 an hour and work them like dogs for 4 hours do you think they really give a :censored2: ??

Tell a new hire - See that bulked out package car? You will get $10.00 a day to fill it up.... But wait... Here are two more to fill up for an additional $10.00 each...