PreLoader description

What is preloading about? I have my orientation tomorrow, i thought they we're puttin me on the 3a.m shift but apparently they have an opening for the 6p.m-9p.m shift. Just will like to know what should I expect. Thanks

PT Car Washer

I thought i was goint to be loading the truck but i believe they do that early in the morning, now idk what i will be doing at 6pm.
6PM would be the twilight sort in my building. Start times vary through the year due to volume fluctuations. Right now we are starting at 17:30 and 17:15. Much better job then preload but you will be lucky to get your 3 1/2 hour guarantee. Your building may be different.

6PM would be the twilight sort in my building. Start times vary through the year due to volume fluctuations. Right now we are starting at 17:30 and 17:15. Much better job then preload but you will be lucky to get your 3 1/2 hour guarantee. Your building may be different.
Now i see why they pay a dollar less than preload lols. And it sucks about the hours situation smdh i really wanted the 3a.m shift smh

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I thought i was goint to be loading the truck but i believe they do that early in the morning, now idk what i will be doing at 6pm.
Sounds like a twilight or local sort. You will most likely either be unloading package cars, CPU trailers or loading trailers that need to go out that night.

browner89

What is preloading about? I have my orientation tomorrow, i thought they we're puttin me on the 3a.m shift but apparently they have an opening for the 6p.m-9p.m shift. Just will like to know what should I expect. Thanks

6pm (~4pm-9:30pm daily in my area, getting maybe 15 minutes shorter per day and starting at 4 again on Monday) is the Twilight/Local sort, not the Preload.

There are a few main jobs on that shift:

Loader - Loads the feeder trailers (53/28ft trailers)
Unloader - Unloads trailers/Package Cars that come back after their day is done
Sorter (Skilled Position) - sends the packages to where the need to go after unloaded
Small Sort Bagger - Bags small packages and envelopes under 10lbs
Small Sort Sorter (Skilled Position in some centers) - Sorts those smalls and under 10s to the bagger

Skilled Positions start at $11/hr instead of $10/hr but you won't be doing any of those right away as you need to do some memorizing first. Small sorts is a "preferred" spot based on seniority in most hubs, not all (everyone in smalls at my hub was hired into it), and unloader is probably the most physical job but requires the least thought of all after bagging smalls.

99% chance you'll be hired as a loader, which is the worst job available, at least most would agree.

Das Boots

At my location, pre-load makes a dollar more and my supervisors say it is a "skilled" position, unlike those unload slackers.
Wonder what they consider belt splitters...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
At my location, pre-load makes a dollar more and my supervisors say it is a "skilled" position, unlike those unload slackers.
Wonder what they consider belt splitters...
Some locals with weak unions allowed UPS to take away the $1 per hour for preloaders agreeing that it is not a skilled position anymore with the implementation of PAS.

While it is still in the Master, preloaders and sorters getting the extra $1, local supplements, riders and addendums usually override the Master.