Preloader: do you write the number on the packages?

cannonrush

I just started as a package handler. They want us to write the hin/Bay number on each package after we place it in the truck.
Example: 4380/101
Is this what all package handlers do? I see some supervisors and othersee not doing it, just throwing the box in place. I am fine with writing it, but I could load packages way quicker if I didn't have to write on the box.

They are pushing us really hard to load faster but idk how much faster I can go without finding some way to cut corners or not write on the box. I'm sweating hard, running in and out of the car and all that. But if I didn't have to write that crap on the box it would double my speed. Just curious what all you guys have been trained to do, or your thoughts

PT Car Washer

UPS knows how many packages are suppose to be in each package car daily. They divide that number by the number of hours you work and they have your pieces per hour.

HardknocksUPSer

I just started as a package handler. They want us to write the hin/Bay number on each package after we place it in the truck.
Is this what all package handlers do? I see some supervisors and othersee not doing it, just throwing the box in place. I am fine with writing it, but I could load packages way quicker if I didn't have to write on the box.

They are pushing us really hard to load faster but idk how much faster I can go without finding some way to cut corners or not write on the box. I'm sweating hard, running in and out of the car and all that. But if I didn't have to write that crap on the box it would double my speed. Just curious what all you guys have been trained to do, or your thoughts
we are told that we must write on every single package, depending on how my day is going to be I'll write on none of them up to 75% of them, I write on about 50% of them on average, don't worry about writing on packages or being super fast, worry about accuracy, a sup can ask no more from you than getting it on the right car, if you work harder they'll give you more, work slower they'll can your ass before your 30 days.

Overpaid Union Thug

This has been going on in my center for a while now. Preloaders have been threatened with warning letters for not doing it and even for moving the PALs where we can see them. It's a waste of time and we can't read half of them anyway. I don't care what you guys write on the boxes. Just make sure the labels (PAL or address) are faced for selection per the methods. The jackassss that are really pushing the hand written numbers don't deserve to be in charge of ANYTHING.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When I was a preloader 2 decades ago, we were told to written the number on the side of the box. It's mostly for your use so you put the packages in the proper order, assuming you are a good loader and actually care. Most driver's don't take advantage of it. I'm one of few that do but it also depends on the loader. One of our female loaders can load and right on every box and you could come from a center 3 states away and run the trip blind. But we have other loaders that would puzzle the most senior drivers.

Box Ox

Bay number? Never heard of that being written on the box.

They are pushing us really hard to load faster but idk how much faster I can go without finding some way to cut corners or not write on the box. I'm sweating hard, running in and out of the car and all that.

Happens to all new hires. Just do your best and don't say anything unless it's safety related until you've made your 30.

Once you've made your 30, write on and do whatever you've got time for. Once you've been there for a while you'll probably be put on heavier route sets. Keeping your walk path/egress clean and maintaining a safe work environment trumps everything. Even if your sups won't admit it. This includes having to slow down to write all over every piece. But try not to punish your drivers for your sup wanting to push his PPH count up your A.

I already made a thread on this topic. Search the forum before creating an already posted topic. But to answer your question, some Sup's want you to and others don't. Some drivers like the hin number and some don't. If you're loading 3 or 4 cars chances are you are not going to have enough time to write and load at the same time and keep up with the belt so the driver is just going to have to deal with looking for the package. Although writing the HIN # does make a difference and is helpful when the driver is looking for smalls

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
P.s. how do supervisors know how many packagestudents per hr you are doing? Do they have a way to measure it?
We have a program that we put a plan in everyday. Mark the cars you are loading and then load the dispatch plan in it. The next day we get a report of everybody's PPH.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Depends on your driver. Some like the numbers on there. However most of the drivers can't read my hand writing anyhow. Some just want to be able to see the pal's. Truth is everyday the packages are in a different spot in the truck anymore. One day a bulk stop is on the floor next day it is on the shelf. Even though it isn't suppose to be like that. Best thing you can do is ask your driving and their tell you what they like. During peak though when the cars are stuffed out them numbers aren't going to help much.

iowa boy

its all well and good til you figure out some preloaders have a mild case of dyslexia. That's when it gets fun trying to find the package.