preloader happy to play along with orion changes.. but..

mixyo

Dispatcher
Only I know what goes where.
Yep. According to the sups (I know, I know..) I'm the only person currently working at the facility who knows how to load my routes. You basically have to load entirely by what the drivers tell you. And stuff is always moving, going out of business, reopening, etc....

It's a good thing I show up to work every day...otherwise they'd be :censored2:ED!

laffter

I'm not entirely sure what Orion has to do with loading a package car...

If I recall correctly, we're already using Orion (I could be wrong?) and I use the same basic techniques to load as I always have.

What is the sup hassling you about? Load quality? A driver is the best judge of load quality. What does the sup want you to be doing?

Hey all, so I've loaded for 7 years.. starting to get heat from Supes about loading for Orion as it starts creeping into our center. I really try to make my drivers happy.. such as, asking for feedback.. custom loading the addresses that go to one PAL or other big bulk stops, hiding and storing totes, tapeguns for them, etc etc.. so I do care. They seem happy. but I suppose my old system of putting higher numbers behind lower numbered (lip-loaded) boxes is not going to fly (I was told today). Two of my trucks are routinely packed floor to ceiling front to back. I feel like I am going to be shafting my drivers to make Preload supes happy.
I wish PPH wasn't the only measure for us.. maybe driver time.. I know that by custom loading I save my drivers time sorting multi-address PALs.
So.. any tips to to a preloader to make the Orion load work? My supe is a passive aggressive joik.. so I am curious what you all think.

mixyo

Dispatcher
With Orion, they want everything to be loaded exactly in order and want the PAL numbers written on every package, or at least circled and visible.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
As do I. 2 trucks. Only I know what goes where. Dispatch still screws up pals.
Yup....mall routes in my center are loaded by store name not PAL...because the labels are always wrong. I never learned what goes where...so when the kid who loads it calls off....sups don't make me cover it...lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
With Orion, they want everything to be loaded exactly in order and want the PAL numbers written on every package, or at least circled and visible.
Circled?? You mean peeling and sticking it on the side of the box faced out isn't good enough? The only time I circle a pal label is if I snake a load to the shelf on the opposite side of the truck.....and that doesn't happen too often.

J

jibbs

I am a loader/cover driver and I was actually told just yesterday to start
loading the way you said. Larger # behind smaller # this is now being
called " shoebox " loading

I've had drivers get pissed about this.

I've also had supervisors come around right after a driver's bitchfest to tell me not to worry about what was said, to keep doing what I was doing.

I understand the issue. I just wish they would understand that we're told to load by PAL, in sequence. Sometimes that's not practical when you line everything up one-by-one like a bookshelf.

I've heard a lot about ORION on this website, but nothing in person. I'll try to remember to ask if my center's in the middle of a transition or something to... I hate it when these "flavors of the month" that you guys talk about trickle down to my center months after they've hit you guyses.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The pal label system has never worked and will continue to fail just like it always has. The pal takes the commonsense and decision making away from the loaders. That's why the loaders suck so bad because their not trained right. That's why BB58 is a great loader because she uses the the most important tool most loaders do not have and are not taught, GOOD OLE COMMONSENSE. WORD! lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And you know what this takes? TIME. time=money. You see where this is going.....

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
A custom load by a veteran loader can make your day easy. A custom load by one of the new school numbnutts yeah will probably make your day a living hell. The dols and sequence of how they put stuff in the edd is utterly retarded anyway. I never follow my dol and how its in the edd. It aint right anyway cause the dispatch is different and retarded everyday anyway.

AllOnTheHorses

Great replies! I think my biggest problem.. why I feel heat from supes now.. is that I load the first area on our belt.. so the "suits/collars" peek into my trucks more than the others and see what doesn't match what they have been told is a good load..ie. why is my 300 piece post office stop RDR in both RDR and RDL and high 7000 and 8000 etc.
The other and probably biggest problem is that we are about to get a hardass moved into overall preload management.. so my supe is hysterical with worry and of course the buck gets passed downhill.
My other "problem" is that I load a 1400-1500 piece area compared to the 800-900 piece areas (generally).. included in mine are the missorts as I am "1Push" for our pickoff.. I am not complaining about my volume.. but even the good/tolerable supes come by and say, "what's going on? why aren't you finished?" Most likely they are getting heat from some jerk with zero loading experience complaining that I am still on the clock.
Also.. we used to have a helpful belt.. now people just leave and not help out a neighbor when the volume spills over.
Visibility is my biggest problem, I'd say.
It's nice to have a space here to rant.. I'll do what they ask, try to keep my head down.. I am old enough to know how valuable the insurance really is (with wife and barrel racing kid).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The pal label system has never worked and will continue to fail just like it always has. The pal takes the commonsense and decision making away from the loaders. That's why the loaders suck so bad because their not trained right. That's why BB58 is a great loader because she uses the the most important tool most loaders do not have and are not taught, GOOD OLE COMMONSENSE. WORD! lol
Thank you sir :) Only when it comes to cardboard though....I may have little commonsense in other areas.