Preloader to Corporate Position?

kevingcp

Hey all,
I started working at UPS in March of 2012 as an unloader in the AM and was quickly moved to preload after a few days of unloading. During my interview process I made clear that I am graduating from college with a degree in Economics and Financial Management and would love if at all possible to further my career with UPS in a more formal setting. Our HR rep told me to bring in my resume and start the TMS MAP process online to start the management process. My preference would be to not go into management in our local facility but to move away and start my profressional corporate career. Is there any way I can do this? Or will management be the way to go to begin with? I'm not very skilled in management qualities as I should be to get the position.
On the other hand our district manager told me to bring in my resume as well and he will look into positions available for me. I think he would be a better route to take as I distinctly made clear my career goals and wishes for the advancement of my career.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Advice? Go somewhere else for it. About the only answer that's not smart ass on here that youll get will be talk to your HR person. We are mostly drivers and part timers that know nothing about corporate and have no interest to find out.

UPS Lifer

Advice? Go somewhere else for it. About the only answer that's not smart ass on here that youll get will be talk to your HR person. We are mostly drivers and part timers that know nothing about corporate and have no interest to find out.

It is very possible that what you say will come to pass. However, I don't know why I chose to look at this thread, I guess I just found the topic interesting. You can go to my personal website under UPS career to see more of my history with the company

For KevinCP

You do have to go through the MAPP process and the interviews. I had 36 years before retiring. I hired a lot of full time and part time supervisors in my day. One thing I learned. UPS generally does a pretty good job of placing you in positions that will benefit the company. So if you have skill in a certain area such as finance, you may end up in finance. However, I have seen just about everything with this company. Nothing is locked in concrete, meaning any process of upward promotion is possible.... but not extremely likely. Chances are you will be put in an operation as a PT supervisor that could use your skill level. Remember this, just about any position that you end up in as you move up through any company you will be managing some department or operation. So it is best to start developing those skills now.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to treat other co-workers or future sub-ordinates with the highest regard and respect. If you don't make it the first time don't lose hope. Keep trying. Some of our best people have not made it the first time. Just stay positive and learn all you can from each supervisor you work for.

Good Luck!

loadfaster

Lol, my boss wanted me to bid for a driver position after three weeks....maybe it was my willingness to sweat like a farm animal....

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hey all,
I started working at UPS in March of 2012 as an unloader in the AM and was quickly moved to preload after a few days of unloading. During my interview process I made clear that I am graduating from college with a degree in Economics and Financial Management and would love if at all possible to further my career with UPS in a more formal setting. Our HR rep told me to bring in my resume and start the TMS MAP process online to start the management process. My preference would be to not go into management in our local facility but to move away and start my profressional corporate career. Is there any way I can do this? Or will management be the way to go to begin with? I'm not very skilled in management qualities as I should be to get the position.
On the other hand our district manager told me to bring in my resume as well and he will look into positions available for me. I think he would be a better route to take as I distinctly made clear my career goals and wishes for the advancement of my career.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

Good luck on your quest. Unfortunately, you wont last long . The company will fill your head with hot air, pump you up as they use you to death, then when it comes time to make good on the promises, youll be shown the door.

Without PRACTICAL WORKING experience, no matter how many degrees you may recieve, you WILL NEVER understand the business and you could not possibly help to improve this business.

Everyone who comes in without practical working experience FAILS at the corporate level.

The company eats its own. The turnover is outrageous.

Sorry to be a bummer, but Ive been here long enough to see them come and go. Find a corporate structure someplace else that would suit your education.

peace

TOS

OptimusPrime

UPS loves to talk up their whole "hire within" concept but it's crap. Just judging by the waistlines of all the corporate drones that leave my center at 5 that none have ever sniffed a package, much less loaded/unloaded/delivered one.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Good luck on your quest. Unfortunately, you wont last long . The company will fill your head with hot air, pump you up as they use you to death, then when it comes time to make good on the promises, youll be shown the door.

Without PRACTICAL WORKING experience, no matter how many degrees you may recieve, you WILL NEVER understand the business and you could not possibly help to improve this business.

Everyone who comes in without practical working experience FAILS at the corporate level.

Sorry to be a bummer, but Ive been here long enough to see them come and go. Find a corporate structure someplace else that would suit your education.

peace

TOS

TOS,
You assume he wants to be a union lapdog but I don't think he does.
Perhaps he is a self-reliant individual who is not looking for a company or the government to tuck him in every night and to be his Sugar Daddy.
If he gets the chance at UPS Corporate management, he will probably work there 2 or 3 years and move on to the next company.
That is the way of the world these days for people who are smart and aggressive.
UPS recognizes this and has set up the compensation package to allow this and consequently the turnover is higher than the old days but by plan.

Kevin,
Don't let this guy deter you, he is a dinosaur trying to figure out the new world and he knows nothing about the Corporate office ... go for it and learn as much as you can at UPS but come here looking for a job, work hard, learn as much as you can and continue looking for a job.
I'm sure they primed you for this in college. You should have worked for at least three companies by your 7th year out of college.

Good luck.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
To Kevin

Listen to UPS Lifer and Hoaxster

And to everyone else, this guy has/is getting a degree in Economics and Financial Management
This guy is not going into operations to stay, but would do it for a bit if that gets him the fast track into the company
This guy obviously has a brain and will not be messing around with you package monkeys and box mules.

Kev, Keep up the good work and regardless UPS is a great company to have on your resume

Regards,
Heffernan (box mule) :upssmiley:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS,
Perhaps he is a self-reliant individual who is not looking for a company or the government to tuck him in every night and to be his Sugar Daddy.
If he gets the chance at UPS Corporate management, he will probably work there 2 or 3 years and move on to the next company.
That is the way of the world these days for people who are smart and aggressive.
UPS recognizes this and has set up the compensation package to allow this and consequently the turnover is higher than the old days but by plan.

Kevin,
Don't let this guy deter you, he is a dinosaur trying to figure out the new world and he knows nothing about the Corporate office ... go for it and learn as much as you can at UPS but come here looking for a job, work hard, learn as much as you can and continue looking for a job.
I'm sure they primed you for this in college. You should have worked for at least three companies by your 7th year out of college.

Good luck.

HOAX, the classic example of what I said. He would last 5 minutes inside a package car, or 3 minutes on a load belt or 1 minute on a pickoff line. The corporate structure is LOADED with degreed morons who believe they know whats best for the package business, creating new disasters through technology, only to spend millions on concepts that COST the company money.

Hoax, you said what I said, "If he gets the chance at UPS Corporate management, he will probably work there 2 or 3 years and move on to the next company.""

You and I agree on this, and the only difference is that I didnt blow smoke up his rear to make the point. You may be better at puckering.

I am a bit more blunt, as I (unlike you) have the first hand experience with both the entire OPERATIONS and Regional management, and you merely sit in cubical wondering what donuts you are going to eat as you screw up the days dispatch for the PDS.

I have watched as college kids come in full of promise, only to be lied to by upper level corporate geeks who have NO intention of keeping them.

You are correct, after 2 or 3 years they move on, whether their choice or not. They see that the future of UPS corporate has no place for them. The only ones that survive are the ones who can say yes the fastest and loudest. If you have a brain, in 2 or 3 years, you figure out that you have wasted your education.

While I do not expect this guy to be a union lapdog, instead, he bites into the bone of "corporate dreamland" one of big offices and skyscrapers, only to be shown the dirty floors on the nearest hub.

I would rather see a smart educated young man find a real corporate sponsor to use his talents wisely and fulfill the promise that he studied for.

I am not about to candy coat a scenario for this kid, and watch as he wastes the next 5 years wondering how to get out of downtown IOWA.

and HOAX, its guys like you that make sure guys like me earn 100K every year with your blunderous new concepts for deliveries.

Peace

TOS

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
TOS,

Kevin,

Good luck.

HOAX, the classic example of what I said. He would last 5 minutes inside a package car, or 3 minutes on a load belt or 1 minute on a pickoff line. The corporate structure is LOADED with degreed morons who believe they know whats best for the package business, creating new disasters through technology, only to spend millions on concepts that COST the company money.

Hoax, you said what I said, "If he gets the chance at UPS Corporate management, he will probably work there 2 or 3 years and move on to the next company.""

You and I agree on this, and the only difference is that I didnt blow smoke up his rear to make the point. You may be better at puckering.

I am a bit more blunt, as I (unlike you) have the first hand experience with both the entire OPERATIONS and Regional management, and you merely sit in cubical wondering what donuts you are going to eat as you screw up the days dispatch for the PDS.

I have watched as college kids come in full of promise, only to be lied to by upper level corporate geeks who have NO intention of keeping them.

You are correct, after 2 or 3 years they move on, whether their choice or not. They see that the future of UPS corporate has no place for them. The only ones that survive are the ones who can say yes the fastest and loudest. If you have a brain, in 2 or 3 years, you figure out that you have wasted your education.

While I do not expect this guy to be a union lapdog, instead, he bites into the bone of "corporate dreamland" one of big offices and skyscrapers, only to be shown the dirty floors on the nearest hub.

I would rather see a smart educated young man find a real corporate sponsor to use his talents wisely and fulfill the promise that he studied for.

I am not about to candy coat a scenario for this kid, and watch as he wastes the next 5 years wondering how to get out of downtown IOWA.

and HOAX, its guys like you that make sure guys like me earn 100K every year with your blunderous new concepts for deliveries.

Peace

TOS

Kevin,

This is good information to evaluate as you decide how to proceed. The difference between experiences at the corporate level and operations level are very real. Corporate employees are generally content, have a comfortable work environment, make the same or more money as those district operations, have a higher view of their skill level, work fewer hours than district operations employees, and don't retire on the first day they're eligible. The down side of corporate jobs is the politics. District operations employees are a much more disgruntled group as a whole. They are expected to get everything done even if handed a mediocre system to do it. Working conditions are much worse in operations - block walls, cement floors, chairs and desks that are falling apart, and 45 degree buildings in the winter to save money on electric/gas. Expectations are higher for operators than corporate employees. For example, PAS can misroute packages all over the building (flips), but operations have to get all the packages delivered anyway. These are acceptable errors if you're on the corporate side but there aren't any acceptable errors on the operations end. Operations also has time commitments daily so it's more stressful, and your Decembers are just gone.

You can feel the difference in tone between TOS and Hoaxter's comments. Which environment would you rather work in? Decide, keep your eyes open, ask everyone you encounter how they got where they are, and remember that just about everyone you work with only cares about you to the extent that you benefit them. Be wise and don't be afraid to throw in the towel and make a change if you don't like the way things are going.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Kevin,

This is good information to evaluate as you decide how to proceed. The difference between experiences at the corporate level and operations level are very real. Corporate employees are generally content, have a comfortable work environment, make the same or more money as those district operations, have a higher view of their skill level, work fewer hours than district operations employees, and don't retire on the first day they're eligible. The down side of corporate jobs is the politics. District operations employees are a much more disgruntled group as a whole. They are expected to get everything done even if handed a mediocre system to do it. Working conditions are much worse in operations - block walls, cement floors, chairs and desks that are falling apart, and 45 degree buildings in the winter to save money on electric/gas. Expectations are higher for operators than corporate employees. For example, PAS can misroute packages all over the building (flips), but operations have to get all the packages delivered anyway. These are acceptable errors if you're on the corporate side but there aren't any acceptable errors on the operations end. Operations also has time commitments daily so it's more stressful, and your Decembers are just gone.

You can feel the difference in tone between TOS and Hoaxter's comments. Which environment would you rather work in? Decide, keep your eyes open, ask everyone you encounter how they got where they are, and remember that just about everyone you work with only cares about you to the extent that you benefit them. Be wise and don't be afraid to throw in the towel and make a change if you don't like the way things are going.

Kevin was asking about working in the Corporate office.
With that clarification, you are spot on.
I spent 18 years in the District and 15 of those in operations and IE.
4 years in Region IE.
18 in Corporate.
With that experience, I agree with every thing you said.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) HOAX, the classic example of what I said. He would last 5 minutes inside a package car, or 3 minutes on a load belt or 1 minute on a pickoff line. The corporate structure is LOADED with degreed morons who believe they know whats best for the package business, creating new disasters through technology, only to spend millions on concepts that COST the company money.

2) Hoax, you said what I said, "If he gets the chance at UPS Corporate management, he will probably work there 2 or 3 years and move on to the next company.""

3) I am a bit more blunt, as I (unlike you) have the first hand experience with both the entire OPERATIONS and Regional management, and you merely sit in cubical wondering what donuts you are going to eat as you screw up the days dispatch for the PDS.

4) I have watched as college kids come in full of promise, only to be lied to by upper level corporate geeks who have NO intention of keeping them.

5) You are correct, after 2 or 3 years they move on, whether their choice or not. They see that the future of UPS corporate has no place for them. The only ones that survive are the ones who can say yes the fastest and loudest. If you have a brain, in 2 or 3 years, you figure out that you have wasted your education.

6) I would rather see a smart educated young man find a real corporate sponsor to use his talents wisely and fulfill the promise that he studied for.

7) I am not about to candy coat a scenario for this kid, and watch as he wastes the next 5 years wondering how to get out of downtown IOWA.

8) and HOAX, its guys like you that make sure guys like me earn 100K every year with your blunderous new concepts for deliveries.

Peace

TOS

1) Who cares ... that is not why he went to college and he is getting his degree in a science/mathematics field where graduates are getting jobs.
Your assessment of Corporate decisions are irrelevant except you have to deal with them.
PS-I don't make any of those Corporate decisions and have to deal with them too.

2) Not sure what smoke I blew ... I assume he is a young person full of energy and wanting to work hard and learn.
Assuming he gets a job in Corporate, he will be paid adequately for his efforts in his first 3 years of UPS Corporate management and I encourage him to leave after that, if not after 2 years.
He is embarking on a career that should bridge across 4, 5 or 6 companies.
The old UPS "cradle to grave" mentality is gone and UPS joined the rest of Corporate America.
While I may not like that either, I don't react to it emotionally but with a rational, cold, calculating analysis.

3) I spent 18 years in the District and 15 of those in operations and IE.
4 years in Region IE.
18 in Corporate.

I have never heard you mention anything about being in management at UPS so I don't understand your reference to Region management.

If you mean as a Union BA or whatever, that has nothing to do with the business of UPS.

4) Again, I question where you ever had any contact with Corporate management and especially geeks since the vast majority of them don't get out to District operations since UPS crushed management travel after the 97 strike and even more after going public.

5) That's just silly ... not even worth responding to.

Unless someone is a total people, the reason they go to college is to make more money over the span of their working life.

6) UPS is about the same as any other corporation.

7)I have faith that Kevin will make the right choice for himself.

8) You're welcome.

POS

Hoaxster

UPS Lifer

peace

TOS

KevinCP,

There are some who will try to delude you. They are what I call "HATERS". They will do what they can to create a negative atmosphere for the 95% of us. This is how they steal your energy. No matter what you do in life, you will deal with people like this. Be that as it may, these HATERS are a very small % of the people you will deal with. You will run into people like this no matter what you do in life. You neutralize their negative influence by not allowing yourself to be influenced by their negative behavior. In other words, don't get into the gutter with them!

Your degree is in a field that will keep you more distant from operations. You can achieve a more "formal" or office like setting and routine at the district, region or corporate level. However, as you move into the region and corporate realm, you have a lot less contact with front line operations and what is a more normal work day.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade my operations experience for anything. Long hours - working weekends - working nights - It is all part of what makes us who we are. Go into management with the right intentions and you will be successful in your goal. My intentions had nothing to do with earning money (I made more as a driver initially). It had nothing to do with getting an easier job. As a driver, I was not being challenged anymore and needed that. Every place I went, I just wanted to make it better than when I got there for the employees and for the company.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
KEVIN,

Notice how the consistency seems to be that you wont last long at UPS. This is what I communicated to you, only in real terms. All the happy talk wont make the end of the day any better. UPS corporate doesnt want "lifers" anymore. Its cheaper to turn guys like you over and over and keep replacing you with other High strung over achievers with degrees who want to change the world.

The new corporate world is to keep you low paid, and around for a short period of time. If this is your goal, then UPS is the place for you for the short term.

Notice how comfortable these guys are in telling you that "your" corporate world is nothing more than jumping from LILY PAD to LILY PAD for your career.

If you prefer to be a frog in a suit, the sobeit.

These guys have lily padded multiple years eating donuts and screwing up the ops for the people in the trenches to fix.

If you dont like operations then thats ok too, but listen to what we are all saying, YOU WONT LAST LONG.

Some of these old goats got lucky and grandfathered into corporate, and you wont be so lucky. They tell tales of spending years with the company, but they know, they got lucky compared to todays corporate monkeys.

UPS believes that technology will solve all their problems, but what they dont understand is the human interfacing that goes along with it makes it foulable.

EDD, PAS, PDS & OMS functions are all mistakes trying to correct each other.

This is a simple business, but those in IE or finances keep finding ways to waste millions of dollars in operations, then finding someone like you to blame it on when it doesnt work.

This is the UPS system.

There is no happy ending for anyone in corporate unless they have already been here 20 years or more. Its simply a meat grinder. It saves the company money in the long run.

peace

TOS

trickpony1

I never thought I would agree with TOS but post #19 is spot on.

I see management and support personnel frequently during the day. They are all miserable, hate their jobs and are counting the days until they can leave.

Working for this company looks good on the resume but, like others have said, use it as a stepping stone to get where you want to be.

TOS,

Kevin,

Good luck.
He might be a dinosaur but when the asteroid hit he escaped the dust. He might have the years that you are talking about but his longevity in the field of operations is greater than your. By your own admission as I've seen by your own posts. Tos is a poster on here that has walked the walk and you should respect this from now on. You might not like him but his posts have true relevance here on this forum. Respect it. History is our greatest teacher and he (TOS) has paid his dues in the trenches called operations.